Santisima Trinidad - Occre Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Re: OcCre Santisima Trinidad Build Log

<t>Well, here is my attempt at adding the mast wooldings. I used a fair amount of wax on rope (.5mm) to keep rope from fraying. This part was actually fun and was not as hard as I thought. Now, the question remains is did I do this correctly. I am just looking at the end result. I took the time to show a series of steps.</t>

Attachments

• mizzenwooldings02.jpg
    mizzenwooldings02.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 133
  • mizzenwooldings01.jpg
    mizzenwooldings01.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 138
  • mizzenwooldings03.jpg
    mizzenwooldings03.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 131
  • mizzenwooldings04.jpg
    mizzenwooldings04.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 133
  • mizzenwooldings05.jpg
    mizzenwooldings05.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 134
  • mizzenwooldings06.jpg
    mizzenwooldings06.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 134

<t>I was able to get an old camera working that had micro mode - Man - the closeups don't lie - it shows all the ugly truth !!!!</t>

Attachments

• mizzenmastrigging01.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging01.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 155
  • mizzenmastrigging02.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging02.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 152
  • mizzenmastrigging03.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging03.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 153
  • mizzenmastrigging04.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging04.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 150

<t>Well, correct or not - here goes a newer attempt at rigging the lower mizzen for the gaff spanker boom. The other way I had it, I did not like it. I am holding my breath for the experts to critique me about this type of rigging. Bee's Wax is the key. If I did not have any, there is no way I could do this. The Bee's way keeps things stiff and holding.</t>

Attachments

• mizzenmastrigging05a.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging05a.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 132
  • mizzenmastrigging06a.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging06a.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 130
  • mizzenmastrigging07a.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging07a.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 130
  • mizzenmastrigging08a.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging08a.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 130
  • mizzenmastrigging09a.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging09a.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 127
  • mizzenmastrigging10a.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging10a.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 126
  • mizzenmastrigging11a.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging11a.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 127
  • mizzenmastrigging12a.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging12a.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 124
  • mizzenmastrigging13a.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging13a.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 122
  • mizzenmastrigging14a.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging14a.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 121
  • mizzenmastrigging15a.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging15a.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 128

<t>I am using two sizes. Darker brown is .50 mm and the lighter color is .15 mm. I do have even thicker .80, which is most likely reserved for the ratlines. If I went with the .15 as the main rigging and something smaller for the seizing, to me I think it would be near impossible. Oh well. (sigh).</t>

<t>Well, I did some calculations. Accordingly what I come up with is the dark brown would have been a 2 inches in diameter and the lighter brown 1 inch in diameter.<br/>
51mm (5cm) and 25.93mm (2.5 cm). The Mizzen Mast comes in at 24 inches in diameter or 60cm. So, would a rope 2.5 cm be used to wrap around this 60cm mast? or 5cm?<br/>
I would like to know before I get too far into this. <br/>
Donnie<br/>
ps or is the seizing line that is in question and the dark brown ok?</t>

<t>Finally found more time to work on Mizzen Mast. I also show a very simple jig in holding down the Dead Eye while wrapping aluminum .50mm around it. I am not happy with the loops under the tree, but it is what it is.</t>

Attachments

• jig001.jpg
    jig001.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 142
  • jig002.jpg
    jig002.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 142
  • mizzenmastrigging16.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging16.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 149
  • mizzenmastrigging17.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging17.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 146
  • mizzenmastrigging18.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging18.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 150
  • mizzenmastrigging19.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging19.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 150
  • mizzenmastrigging20.jpg
    mizzenmastrigging20.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 149
  • jig003.jpg
    jig003.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 144
  • jig004.jpg
    jig004.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 137
  • jig006.jpg
    jig006.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 136
  • jig005.jpg
    jig005.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 139

<t>Well, it is time to pull out "The Dreaded Ugly Lathe" to make my first Yards, the Mizzen Yards. I have the first one with tape on it to show the extents. This yard seems rather harmless and again gives me a chance to sneak up on these guys to see how well or not so well I will do to these.</t>

Attachments

• lathe03.jpg
    lathe03.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 86

<t>Its the Drill that I do not like. It really turns v e r y slow. This is the only thing that I can do at the moment. I would love to get my hands on a Sherline or something like it. But, for now, this is it. I probably could have bought a lathe a long time ago, but at the time, I was not working on anything that needed to be turned. <br/>
I have another hobby that is more fair weather and that is Astronomy. Well, I bought this really large telescope by Celestron that set me back as far as the ole budget goes. At the time it is just one of those things. I still enjoy Astronomy, but in the winter, it is hard to drag that thing out. It takes about one solid hour to get setup to do any viewing. It is a really nice instrument a true pro piece of gear and not a toy. However, I guess we all have other pass times that we enjoy. I guess at the time I got that Telescope, i was thinking well it is going to be a long time before I need a lathe and besides that I didn't even know what kind of lathe to buy. It has taken me a while to figure out what I think I need.<br/>
I think that I would have to settle on Sherline as I did not realize how versatile they are. I figure it would cost me about $1400 USD to get what I need to do what I want. All the toys are so expensive !</t>

<t>Well,<br/>
I am afraid that I have reached another burn out point and have no desire to work on ship. I think that the problem is that I am not sure if I need to work on the Yards, or proceed with the other Mast. For some reason, I go to workroom look at plans, ship, workbench and just turn around and leave the shop. I have been through this before and I do not remember how I got myself motivated again. I am not sure how I lost the motivation this time around. :( <br/>
I can't blame the "Ugly Lathe", but I am sure that it has something to do with it - not sure. <br/>
I think what brought this about was that I was starting on the yards for the Mizzen, when it hit me wondering why am I working on the Mizzen Yards, I need to work on the Mast so that I can proceed with Rigging when completed with the Mast, THEN the yards and rigging to them will come later. It is at that point that I started feeling burned out.<br/>
<br/>
Any remedies ?</t>

<t>It might be spring fever as they say here. When the weather warms up from the long winter - I guess the first thing to do is to come out of hibernation and also working on the model all winter. I am sure that I will get back to it soon. My wife had a small vacation to visit her sisters in Washington, DC and to New York - I had all the prime opportunity to work on the ship last week, then, but for some reason - didn't touch it.</t>

<t>Well, I decided to step back and take inventory of what I was doing. I decided to stop working on the Yards as I figured that was a waste of energy. I tend to be a very efficient person. I had to get my mind set again to leave the Yards alone. The Main Mast as well as the other Mast are far more important.<br/>
Once the Mast get done, then some standing rigging can start. If I had stayed on the Yards, then it would have been a long time before I started the Rigging, and besides, it would have been a long time BEFORE I needed to even reach for the yards to rig them. So, with all of that said, here we go with the Main Mast!<br/>
Drum Rol<br/>
PLANS / PARTS LAYOUT</t>

Attachments

• mainmast01.jpg
    mainmast01.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 132
  • mainmast02.jpg
    mainmast02.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 132

<t>Nothing glamorous to report here other than building the Crosstrees and Trestletrees.</t>

Attachments

• mainmast03.jpg
    mainmast03.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 137
  • drillpress.jpg
    drillpress.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 135

<r>Folks, I have had some health related problems that has had my attention for quite some time. It is nothing serious, just a chronic pain problem that really grabs your attention and has a tendency to really make you not really interested in anything if you all know what I mean. It is not fun working on a project in pain.<br/>
<br/>
In the meantime, I personally have found it quite down heartening as I have not updated my log on my Ships of scale website. For those just coming into the hobby that is <URL url="http://www.shipsofscale.com">www.shipsofscale.com</URL>.<br/>
<br/>
I was going well with my newsletters and due to the above, I have basically completed my newsletter series and was going to start on another one. But now, I probably will not due to the lack of interest from the audience. To be honest, it has been like pulling teeth to get people to contribute to the newsletters. This along with my full time job and other duties is just not worth it. <br/>
<br/>
What I want to say is not going to be good. I found it even more depressing as I never heard from anyone (from the website). I also found out something interesting, also quite depressing. I found out that when I had to stop contributing info on the website as far as my Contributors Builds, then I have not had anyone come forward with any builds that they want me to post. <br/>
<br/>
I found out that as long as I begged people to showcase their models, then all was well. But, since my health issue over the past 3 months, no one has come forward with any builds. I can not continue to beg - I was hoping that at some point that people would catch on and would love the opportunity to have their ship showcased. But this has not been the case.<br/>
I was also hoping that people would be sending me their building tips and tricks of building - the only tips or tricks of building that I received was only after me soliciting and begging people.<br/>
<br/>
So, I guess this reveals to me the very nature of things that people for the most part are consumers. Contributors not - but consuming yes. <br/>
<br/>
I have I think close to 50 ships on line at the expense of me asking for it. I would have never dreamed that it would have been so difficult to get people to participate. <br/>
<br/>
I am not mad - I guess it is disappointment. It is a disappointment well earned I guess. <br/>
<br/>
I am at the point of where I am going to start working on the Trinidad again. This will be enough energy for me. I created all of the website for people like you to have another resource to go to. I found out that it is a thankless job. <br/>
<br/>
At first, it was out of my love and enjoyment - but since I have not been well in such a long time - the silence and the deadness of the website has rung in my ears of what the true nature of things are. People are just not interested. I see that I have actually a ton of hits from all over the world,but I never hear from people. It goes back to people consume, but do not contribute or communicate in anyway. <br/>
<br/>
It is what it is as I always say. <br/>
<br/>
Donnie<br/>
build on !</r>

<t>Ok, now that it seems that I have been missing for a while. I have a few shots to show. I had been working on this Main Mast tresle tree and cross trees (I guess I need to look that up - getting rusty now) At any rate, started on the dead eyes. I ordered some blackened wire from Model Expo which is a lot better.<br/>
These shots are not the best in the world. Those closeups really are ugly !!!<br/>
Donnie</t>

Attachments

• mainmast06.jpg
    mainmast06.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 149
  • mainmast05.jpg
    mainmast05.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 149
  • mainmast04.jpg
    mainmast04.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 145

<t>This upper portion looks no good and I am aware of it. "some" of it is the low quality of wood. I admire those that ditch some of the wood and make their own trestle trees and cross members themselves with the layers of planking. It is much better to do it this way.</t>

<t>Rigging those Dead Eyes really got me down. Reason is that I just could not settle in my mind how to do it. Now that they are done, it seems that I can now think of many other ways to do this to make it much more attractive. But, I simply just do not want to remove all that work to start over. <br/>
The Mizzen Mast is worse. So, I tried a different approach on the main mast Dead Eyes. I do not like it either. The part that I do not like are the rings underneath.<br/>
What I should have done is make the upper Dead Eye ring separate and glue that in. Then I could have taken my mandrel tool and made some nice rings. Then take those rings and fastened them underneath. Underneath, I pulled the extra wire all the way through "then" made my hook which was hard as heck to do. None of the rings are exactly uniform. But, about the time the rigging is complete, it will be hard to tell anyway. But as we all say "I know it is there". I will probably get a lot of SCORN from those with more experience about these mast. My only excuse if I might add is the fact that lack of documentation. For what it is worth, believe it or not, I am somewhat satisfied - I know I could do better. There is a balance in stuck and getting burned out and moving on. I need to move on.</t>

Attachments

• mainmast07.jpg
    mainmast07.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 135

<t>Might need a little help on this one. As you can see from the plans on second image, I have to rig four (4) pulleys. The plans almost look as if I have to make a small opening through the "TOP" and run it by the crosstrees and secure it there underneath the crosstree. If my diagram is correct, please agree so that I can move forward. Remember this is 18 cen Spanish. Of the books I have, I did see one example where the rigging was run through the "TOP" and back down. There was what seems to be a round rod very short that the rigging made a pass over before going back down underneath.</t>

Attachments

• mainmast.top.rigging01.jpg
    mainmast.top.rigging01.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 142
  • mainmast.top.rigging02.jpg
    mainmast.top.rigging02.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 141

<t>Forgot one thing. The loop at the end of this long (sling?) What is this used for and should it have some seizing around it?</t>

Attachments

• mainmast.top.rigging03.jpg
    mainmast.top.rigging03.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 110

<t>The Main Mast is fitting or rigged with a Yard Sling. I had to perform research to find out if this was true before I rigged it. I found some information in the book "How to Build First-Rate Ship Models from Kits" by Ben Lankford on Page 76 for those that have a copy of this book. Of which I highly recommend. However, the problem is that I am not really sure of the historical accuracy. Just like other cross roads I have been on with this build, I have to make the best of it. The sequence of images are the details of how I made the loop of the Yard Sling. I am not saying that this is the correct way of performing this task, but it works in my situation. I had no other elements to go by. I hope that this helps someone with the same situation.<br/>
EDIT: I removed the last image as it is really not good - too blurred</t>

Attachments

• yardsling01.jpg
    yardsling01.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 138
  • yardsling04.jpg
    yardsling04.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 136
  • yardsling03.jpg
    yardsling03.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 134
  • yardsling02.jpg
    yardsling02.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 134
  • yardsling05.jpg
    yardsling05.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 132
  • yardsling06.jpg
    yardsling06.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 130
  • yardsling08.jpg
    yardsling08.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 136
  • yardsling07.jpg
    yardsling07.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 133

<t>Main Mast complete. I am somewhat satisfied with it even though just anything else, I see errors in some rigging styles. It is what it is.</t>

Attachments

• mainmast15.jpg
    mainmast15.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 173
  • mainmast14.jpg
    mainmast14.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 175
  • mainmast17.jpg
    mainmast17.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 169
  • mainmast16.jpg
    mainmast16.jpg