SigEp Ziggy - HMS Blandford Cross Section - 1/48 Group Build

Getting closer to having a keel and the first frame!

View attachment 121773View attachment 121774
Looking very good - so the first saw-dust will come soon.
One small hint, which is usually working better, or it is working for me better ;)
Leave a little bit meat next to the lines on your paper, so I do not cut the paper with the scissor along the line, I left some millimeters outside also.
When you cut later the frame with your scroll saw, the saw blade is going through the paper and timber.
With the paper prepared exactly at the lines (like you did now also) , the saw blade lifted sometimes the paper, so I had some problems to follow exactly the line...
Maybe you can try it with your next frame - maybe you get the same experience like myself

I'm not sure if I've done it right but I've done the opposite of what you've done.
In the picture of your jig you have mounted the brass tube to the base of your jig.
I used a drill that fit into the tube because it is much stiffer a brass.
I mounted the brass tube to the bottom of the keel.
Surely there are some other Blandford builders who can answer what is right / practical.
Regards-

Nice start, Shane!

It doesn’t really matter where you place the tubing in the build jig setup. I used brass rod set in the keel, mounted into holes in the build jig base. In the final mount on the display stand, my plan was for the keel to sit flush on the base. So I drilled holes to accept some brass tubing with the same inside diameter of the brass rods in the keel. I cut the brass tubing just long enough to be a millimeter ir so below the surface of the mounting base and glued in place. The brass rods in the keel just slipped right in place Inside the tubing and the model was mounted. None of the brass shows!

Actually, what happen was, I drilled the holes in the jig and then in the keel using the two different drawings (mistake). When I test fit the brass tube, nothing lined up! So, I glued toothpicks (which you can see in the photo) in the holes in the keel and re-drilled them. Now, after gluing the tubes in the new holes, everything lines up.

30nov2019 002.jpg

Back