Soleil Royal by Heller - an Extensive Modification and Partial Scratch-Build by Hubac’s Historian

Paul, I can totally appreciate your sentiments on sanding boxwood. Plastic does have it’s upside. The learning curve for you would be all down-hill, though. What you are doing has far fewer do-overs, fillers or fudge-factor. You are right, though - I am having fun with this particular phase of the build. It’s all coming into focus, now!

This is a placeholder post of sorts. My daughter had taken over my workspace with finals studies, the prior two weeks, so the kitchen table was never free until 10pm. By that point, I had nothing left in the tank for modeling. The NBA playoffs were also particularly interesting, this year, so my attentions have been divided for a good long stretch.

I did manage to fit and secure the under-framing for the tafferal backboard, but apart from that - not much else has happened on the model itself. Most of what needs to happen on the model requires my utmost concentration. Now that the kids are done with school, and we aren’t running around all over the place, I should have deeper reserves in the evening time.

I have been chipping away at the tafferal carving, itself, though. I decided that the best way to go about this was to break the carving up into separate elements, as I had done for the amortisement. Not only did this make the carving more manageable and replaceable by section, if need be, but it enabled me to more easily glue-up laminations of different thicknesses so that there would be a perceptible foreground and background to the composition.

The clouds in the foreground are the thickest stock, the horses of medium stock and the chariot the thinnest stock:

3A57A15A-E3B6-4A25-B0B3-044C1052BADC.jpeg
49D70BF7-CC52-4A00-BE48-1E4D98D5D385.jpeg

I have completed the clouds, which were further subdivided into port and starboard. I haven’t taken pictures of them, but they are fluffy, happy clouds that would warm Bob Ross’s heart.

What I am working on, now, are the horses. I began with the port pair, which was the more challenging side to figure out. My thumb gives a pretty good indication of scale:

F2FEABF9-72A5-4945-8587-5FDDE1DA28E0.jpeg
6CEA9421-05D5-4C5C-9204-B98BFB58C002.jpegB2F154CF-A82D-4913-9C59-2EB8832D748A.jpeg
2034296B-ED8F-4785-93AF-65323BD3B8A9.jpeg

I’ve made a start on the starboard pair, which is moving more quickly. I think the whole ensemble with capture the depth and drama that I am looking for.

Thank you for your interest. More to follow..

As was the case with the amortisement, it takes a good deal of fettling to get all of these elements to nestle together nicely, the way they were drawn.

I now have the clouds positioned and Apollo’s head centered on the cornice archway:

IMG_4452.jpeg

As you can see, there’s still profiling to do on the port side of the chariot. I think this last element of the carving should be fun to model.

The horses will take some effort to get them to where they need to be:

IMG_4453.jpeg

It’s really such a small area, but I can begin to now see where the fade line should be between the Cerulean sky and the Ultra Marine heavens. My idea may not work out the way I hope, but I will try to create this soft transition with multiple dilute applications of the Ultra Marine.

Little by little..

Last edited:
As was the case with the amortisement, it takes a good deal of fettling to get all of these elements to nestle together nicely, the way they were drawn.

I now have the clouds positioned and Apollo’s head centered on the cornice archway:

View attachment 380011

As you can see, there’s still profiling to do on the port side of the chariot. I think this last element of the carving should be fun to model.

The horses will take some effort to get them to where they need to be:

View attachment 380010

It’s really such a small area, but I can begin to now see where the fade line should be between the Cerulean sky and the Ultra Marine heavens. My idea may not work out the way I hope, but I will try to create this soft transition with multiple dilute applications of the Ultra Marine.

Little by little..
Wow.

Zeit gut verbracht:

View attachment 380869

View attachment 380868

View attachment 380867

View attachment 380866

View attachment 380865

Es gibt ein gewisses Gefühl für Vordergrund und Hintergrund. Der Anteil der Schnitzerei im Verhältnis zur Fläche der Rückwand ähnelt weitgehend der Berain-Zeichnung. Ich bin glücklich.

View attachment 380864

Es ist für mich faszinierend, wie sehr sich das vom Serienbausatz unterscheidet.

Vielen Dank für Ihren Besuch! Weitere folgen..
Mark, ich weiß nicht, wie ich es sagen soll. Aber die Figur des Sonnengottes hat meiner Meinung nach nicht die Qualität der anderen Figuren. Mir ist klar, dass das eine extrem schwierige Arbeit ist! Besonders Gesichter sind eine Herausforderung. Auf der Zeichnung sitzt die Gott in einem überdachten Wagen. In deiner Fassung wirkt es eher, als würde er vor einem Tor stehen. Das ist natürlich eine Beschwerde auf hohem Niveau, aber dieses Niveau hast du selbst vorgegeben.
Schmidt

Hello Schmidt - I don’t disagree with your assessment, regarding Apollo’s face. There is good reason, though, why modelers most often choose to build these ornate warships in much larger scales. Apollo’s face, here, isn’t much bigger than the head of a sewing pin:

IMG_4493.jpeg
IMG_4492.jpeg

Apollo press-on nails!

Now, I know there are talented individuals out there that can better this effort. For my part, though, I haven’t figured out yet how to do that.

As for the chariot, though, I firmly disagree. While I could add a few incised join lines to indicate where the chariot sides meet the back - this would improve its 3D impression - the overall composition of the thing is very close to Berain’s drawing, IMO. I am also very pleased with Apollo’s robe.

Hallo Schmidt, ich bin mit Deiner Einschätzung bezüglich Apollos Gesicht nicht einverstanden. Es gibt jedoch einen guten Grund, warum Modellbauer diese kunstvollen Kriegsschiffe am häufigsten in viel größeren Maßstäben bauen. Apollos Gesicht ist hier nicht viel größer als der Kopf einer Nähnadel:

View attachment 380968
View attachment 380969

Apollo-Pressnägel!

Jetzt weiß ich, dass es talentierte Menschen gibt, die diese Bemühungen noch verbessern können. Allerdings habe ich für meinen Teil noch nicht herausgefunden, wie das geht.

Was den Streitwagen betrifft, bin ich jedoch entschieden anderer Meinung. Während ich ein paar eingeschnittene Verbindungslinien hinzufügen könnte, um anzuzeigen, wo die Wagenseiten auf die Rückseite treffen – das würde den 3D-Eindruck verbessern – ist die Gesamtkomposition des Dings meiner Meinung nach sehr nah an Berains Zeichnung. Auch mit Apollos Gewand bin ich sehr zufrieden.
Ich ziehe meine Bemerkung mit Bedauern zurück. Deine Fotos suggerieren ein größeres Format. Ich selbst habe gute Erfahrungen mit Magic Sculp bei der Gestaltung kleiner Ornamente (1:150) gemacht. Jemand in einem deutschen Forum baut eine SR in diesem Maßstab. Vielleicht kann man ein MS Gesicht in das Ornament implantieren.
Schmidt

Back