Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

Hello everyone, I thought I had better explain what has been going on in my head.

I kind of feel I am letting all of the 63 members down that are following this thread and yes I know I am one of them.

Last autumn I left my employer to work for a previous one who I had worked for for over 20 years, but this time in the position I always wanted, Workshop Manager, in charge of the whole factory.

Seven months later the firm went into administration resulting in all 70 employees being made redundant. I will not bore you as to the why's but it was clear to me that some very bad commercial decisions had been made by those well above my pay grade.

I am in touch with most of my ex colleagues and fortunately everyone has found alternative employment including myself.

I have been suffering with a loss of self esteem, wondering if I could have prevented it? . Rationally thinking about it, no I could not, nothing short of a magic wand or £3million would have sorted the problem out.

Now I find myself in a position lower down the ladder with the employer I left last autumn. This has been a struggle with my pride initially, however these last few weeks I have been able to realise something missing in my life.

After nearly ten years in management, I finally had a weeks holiday earlier this month when I didn't once think about work, I left it behind at the gate until I went back after my holiday. Not once had I experienced that in all the time I had been in charge. Makes me think I am better of doing what I am doing now.

I found myself thinking about my hobbies and also able to hold proper conversations with my Wife without my mind drifting to work. I HAD MY LIFE BACK!

I was in my localish model shop looking for something small to rekindle the fire. I looked at all sorts but kept being drawn to a completed model of Caldercraft's Imara in a glass case. The whole atmosphere this model exuded was different to anything else I have experienced other than maybe two models I saw as a child. I thought, stuff common sense, I only live once and 30minutes later an Imara kit was in the boot of my car, fortunate they had one in stock, displayed not 10 feet from the finished model in the caseROTF

I need something completely different and something to take me out of my comfort zone forcing me to do extensive research on something I knew nothing about, model steam power. I have spent hours on Youtube and the net learning what is an amazingly interesting subject. I used to tinker with full size cars a lot when I was younger, building engines etc and there is quite a bit of crossover with the mechanical engineering side of things, so it fills a bit of a void left by no longer messing with cars, I do fix mine sometimes when it goes wrong but it doesn't go wrong very often.

So, Soleil Royal and others will be on the back burner whilst I fire through my Imara project. Parking Soleil and Trinidad will allow the enthusiasm for these two builds to build back up again.Happy Hunter also needs completing.

Bit of a story to that. After painting the hull I placed self adhesive foam on the work stand to protect the paint. The solvent in the adhesive lifted the paint off in small patches. I will cover the repair of this when the weather improves as it involves some very careful airbrush work in the workshop. Last thing I need is cold or damp causing issues.

Sorry for the long winded post and yes I will be starting a log on Imara. I have started some initial work but have held of with a log as I had come to a standstill waiting on myself making a decision on propulsion. WellI have ordered TWO PM Research No 8 V twin steam engines today that will power the model.The engines are in kit form as well so I will be building those up and covering in my log. Boiler will have to wait a little for financial reasons as I want the biggest I can practically fit and allow room for the various other items that will service the power train.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Dearest Nigel,

The cure to your self esteem problem is here right under your nose. All you have to do is start another build log (or continue work on the Sovereign), and the praise and adulation will flow over you like a waterfall...

PROBLEM SOLVED. :D;)

I'm with you, Man. You just got to do whatever it is that lights your fire. The tedium of every day life, sure has a way of sapping our energies, but there is quite a lot to be said for allowing someone else to shoulder the management burden.

This is the conclusion I am reaching Marc especially as there is little or nothing to be gaining financially for all that stress, with a modest amount of overtime I earn more than my replacement at my current employer.

The fact he used be my Teamleader was a little strange at first. The Guys on the shop floor have been brilliant too. Says a lot for how I treated them when I was their manager;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

That should be an interesting build. In particular the two steam engines.
I was scanning the internet the other day and I found a miniature V8 engine that actually works. It is not a prop.
My jaw just dropped when I saw it. It's a kit and you have to build it yourself. I think I will have to work up the courage to ask the admiral if she is ok with a 1500$ bill...

Dearest Nigel,

The cure to your self esteem problem is here right under your nose. All you have to do is start another build log (or continue work on the Sovereign), and the praise and adulation will flow over you like a waterfall...

PROBLEM SOLVED. :D;)

You know Kurt, I did actually think I can return to Sovereign after this life reprioritising. I will finish a few "smaller"projects first, but the curtain has not forever fallen on that model. I do remember though it really did sap my time, I spent 40 hours a week on that build whilst I was working on it, so timing would need to right.

I feel Sovereign and Saint Philippe are the builds for my semi retirement, I doubt I will ever be able to afford to stop working completely but they are best done when I am not working 50 hours a week.

Kind Regards

Nigel

That should be an interesting build. In particular the two steam engines.
I was scanning the internet the other day and I found a miniature V8 engine that actually works. It is not a prop.
My jaw just dropped when I saw it. It's a kit and you have to build it yourself. I think I will have to work up the courage to ask the admiral if she is ok with a 1500$ bill...

Thankyou

There are some great things to be found on Youtube.

I have seen some outstanding works of art when it comes to model steam and IC engines. There are some more complex steam engines I would like to build but I would need a bigger boat ( bit like JawsROTF). We will see where this new branch of the hobby takes me. I also quite fancy a working tabletop model of a beam engine, maybe one day.

Kind regards

Nigel

Good morning Nigel, I know about these changes and would have been almost in the same position as you two years ago. Fortunately, our management turned things around and was able to prevent our site from closing. Over 70 people were laid off and others were on the list, including mine. I was uncertain for 6 months about what would happen next. Thankfully we were sold and things have been going uphill ever since. A lot goes through your head during this time. I'm glad to hear that you've managed this crisis well and I'm looking forward to your new blog.

Hi Nigel,

Great story and good to hear it helped you realizing what you like to do most.
Most people are chasing the highest position and status but in most cases that is not what will make you happy.
I made a kind of similar decision (allthough not forced :-) ) when switching from an oil major to starting my own small bussiness.
Now nearly 15 years ago and never regretted it.

In the end it is about enjoying what you do and having time for the things you love and as long as we can pay our bills whats wrong about that.

Looking foward to your builds and ps you forgot your st Phillip and SotS. 8-)

Thanks Guys and I must say I am humbled and overwhelmed by everyone's kind responses.

It just demonstrates what a friendly and supportive community we have on this forum :)

Next weekend Imara log will start as I will have something small but tangible to post. I had held off for a little bit as there were too many unknowns regarding propulsion choice. That has changed as my two engines are now with the courier and will arrive within the next couple of days:p

In the meantime, if anyone knows anything about Denes design electronic boiler control, please chime in?

As far as I can tell, this is the old Cheddar models ABC control system, obviously Cheddar models are no more.

To those that don't know, this system can fill the boiler as and when required and also regulate gas to the boiler's burner. I may throw the question out there in a separate thread if I don't find anything out in the short term.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks for your very personal "life" updates. Indeed sometimes things that are really not meant to be - actually become moments where positive introspection are also real winners. Your perspective is truly in that "camp" - Glad to read about your very positive attitude.

So, The Imara (Had to Google it as well as the engine) What a brilliant way to help re-energizing your talents with something totally away from your knowledge banks. Very much looking forward to your new build log.

Cheers my friend

Work continues slowly but surely, I have now started adding the dummy ends of the frame riders on the Starboard side after first drilling the holes for the breaching ropes and tackles. The eyebolts are from Dafi and I will be using his etched hooks on the tackle blocks.

The holes in the waterway below the ports are to take the brass dowels on the base of the carriages

Apologies for the pics, it is a gloomy day and pouring with rain outside

View attachment 403248View attachment 403249View attachment 403250
I agree with Marc. This is outstanding work, work of which you should rightfully feel proud!

Bill

Hello everyone, I thought I had better explain what has been going on in my head.

I kind of feel I am letting all of the 63 members down that are following this thread and yes I know I am one of them.

Last autumn I left my employer to work for a previous one who I had worked for for over 20 years, but this time in the position I always wanted, Workshop Manager, in charge of the whole factory.

Seven months later the firm went into administration resulting in all 70 employees being made redundant. I will not bore you as to the why's but it was clear to me that some very bad commercial decisions had been made by those well above my pay grade.

I am in touch with most of my ex colleagues and fortunately everyone has found alternative employment including myself.

I have been suffering with a loss of self esteem, wondering if I could have prevented it? . Rationally thinking about it, no I could not, nothing short of a magic wand or £3million would have sorted the problem out.

Now I find myself in a position lower down the ladder with the employer I left last autumn. This has been a struggle with my pride initially, however these last few weeks I have been able to realise something missing in my life.

After nearly ten years in management, I finally had a weeks holiday earlier this month when I didn't once think about work, I left it behind at the gate until I went back after my holiday. Not once had I experienced that in all the time I had been in charge. Makes me think I am better of doing what I am doing now.

I found myself thinking about my hobbies and also able to hold proper conversations with my Wife without my mind drifting to work. I HAD MY LIFE BACK!

I was in my localish model shop looking for something small to rekindle the fire. I looked at all sorts but kept being drawn to a completed model of Caldercraft's Imara in a glass case. The whole atmosphere this model exuded was different to anything else I have experienced other than maybe two models I saw as a child. I thought, stuff common sense, I only live once and 30minutes later an Imara kit was in the boot of my car, fortunate they had one in stock, displayed not 10 feet from the finished model in the caseROTF

I need something completely different and something to take me out of my comfort zone forcing me to do extensive research on something I knew nothing about, model steam power. I have spent hours on Youtube and the net learning what is an amazingly interesting subject. I used to tinker with full size cars a lot when I was younger, building engines etc and there is quite a bit of crossover with the mechanical engineering side of things, so it fills a bit of a void left by no longer messing with cars, I do fix mine sometimes when it goes wrong but it doesn't go wrong very often.

So, Soleil Royal and others will be on the back burner whilst I fire through my Imara project. Parking Soleil and Trinidad will allow the enthusiasm for these two builds to build back up again.Happy Hunter also needs completing.

Bit of a story to that. After painting the hull I placed self adhesive foam on the work stand to protect the paint. The solvent in the adhesive lifted the paint off in small patches. I will cover the repair of this when the weather improves as it involves some very careful airbrush work in the workshop. Last thing I need is cold or damp causing issues.

Sorry for the long winded post and yes I will be starting a log on Imara. I have started some initial work but have held of with a log as I had come to a standstill waiting on myself making a decision on propulsion. WellI have ordered TWO PM Research No 8 V twin steam engines today that will power the model.The engines are in kit form as well so I will be building those up and covering in my log. Boiler will have to wait a little for financial reasons as I want the biggest I can practically fit and allow room for the various other items that will service the power train.

Kind Regards

Nigel
No apologies necessary. You sound much like myself before I had retired. It was only after I retired that I felt life returning to my burned-out self! Do what you must!

Bill

Back