Steam pinnace Janet

Dear Daniel. So if you need help with either the steam plant or the RC build just shout out. I have a little experience with both. It would be wonderful if you could fit her with a steam plant.

Hello Daniel. With the gear you might have two options which are shown on the attached drawing.

And the propeller: There is special stuff available for instance from Loctite with which you can lock the threads so that the propeller does not unwind by itself, but can be released from the shaft with a little more power. I thik it is called thread locking solution.20200508_155635.jpg

Thank you for your kind words.
The steam plant is a dream right now ,but will be put on ship in the future.
Is possible to buy only the boyler and the engine will be made locally in my father workshop
I operate only hand tools now.

Thaks Moxis!
I heard about loctite treadloker but have no experience with it.
The shaft is made from a very hard steel sa I will have to see how is possible to drill in it.
Was a pain in a the backside to thread ,I was turning the lathe grip on hand .
Option A seem to me best
Kind regards ,Daniel

By the way what type of oil you use on propeller tube for impeding water to

I think everybody has own solutions, mixtures of engine oil, kerosine, silicone oil has been used, but normally I use usual car engine oil and have been satisfied. Grease or vaseline should not be used, it is too stiff in colder (water) temperature.

Hello Heinrich
This is a solution, but I will have to consider how is best
After this the gear will stay forever,I understand .
Best to figure the place of the gearbox and the electric motor for a silent solution.

I think everybody has own solutions, mixtures of engine oil, kerosine, silicone oil has been used, but normally I use usual car engine oil and have been satisfied. Grease or vaseline should not be used, it is too stiff in colder (water) temperature.
Good to know!
I still have a bottle of motor oil in my car trunk and the "special oil" from robbe is expensive.
Thaks Again
Daniel

If your build all works out good, maybe you can share your design files for others to build a like boat for themselves.

Always nice to share ideas and designs with others, if no legal issues are involved in plan designs.

Where were photos of original boat taken, I like the shop doing repairs, looks like work on old military landing craft as well.

For lubrication of the propeller shaft I use CRC Marine Trailer Bearing grease. It looks terrible, but works very well and lasts a very long time. Cold water temperatures are no problem.

WeChat Image_20200508153943.jpgWeChat Image_20200508153949.jpg

Good idea
The first designs are in ''Hello from Romania'' thread along with the first dwg file.
I still have a lot to fix and draw as I discover things during the build but I will definitely consider it once I'm done with this stage.
Pity I had no time at my previous visit in museum for some interior photos.
Also this ship needs a good interior with such big windows!
If anyone has a trip in Portsmouth after this madness some interior photos will be greatly apreciated
Kind regards,Daniel

Last edited:
If your build all works out good, maybe you can share your design files for others to build a like boat for themselves.

Always nice to share ideas and designs with others, if no legal issues are involved in plan designs.

Where were photos of original boat taken, I like the shop doing repairs, looks like work on old military landing craft as well.
The photos are taken in
National Museum of the Royal Navy Portsmouth
The hangar is on the left near embarking pier for trips on submarine museumportsmouth.jpg

Oh you just make me want to take a trip to Good Old England when I get out of lockdown.

I would love to spend a day or two visiting the museum.

I love boats, aircraft and especially WWII historical items.

Great photos of the ship and boat. Took me a long time to learn difference between the two nautical terms, as least how used in the US Navy.

Back