Steam pinnace Janet

finnaly glued the bulkheads,
I let to cure till tommorow morning and after a little more sanding.
I will have the bow of the ship and rear made of balsa wood
After that ,Planking

Hello Again,
I need some piece of advice .
After curing I found that my keel at the bow is slytly bended
I can cut free the first 2 bulkheads and try to rearrange
Or I can sand it .
What do you think is best for the ship?
The last 770 mm are perfectly flat .
Kind regards,Daniel20200509_141224.jpg

I wouldn't try to sand it. Better to take those two bulkheads away and try to straighten the keel, perhaps by gluing straight pieces of wood on both sides of the keel, then enlarge openings of bulkheads that you took away so that they will fit on the thicker keel and glue them back.

I think you may get that back without taking anything apart.Try clamping something strong the the edge of the keel and see if it pulls straight.I have some Aluminium angle and box section for doing things like this.If it does pull straight,plank as much of the hull as possible before removing the brace.Once a good chunk of the planking is laid it will not spring back when you release it.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks for your reply ,I will try to detach the first 2 bulkheads and see if is possible to make the keel straight.
I tryied to clamp the keel but no results and I want to go well in water.
Daniel

Hello Daniel, it could be that those side stringers keep the keel twisted. It could be that if you loosen the bulkheads at the shown spots, straighten the keel and glue the stringers back, it might help.

20200510_072033.png

After a day where I cut the bulkheads a bit for a better aligned deck and after recutting the stringers places I decided to not rush the planking.
After all better be happy with your work than the time you built the model.
I invented a new tool for aligning the superior part of bulkheads.
And in the finale lateral wiew and the model side by side.
Kind regards,Daniel20200510_190132.jpg20200510_190153.jpg20200510_190213.jpg20200510_190457.jpg

Hello All
Today the ballbearings for gearbox arrived and with them loctite 243
Now I can build the final gearbox
By the way , How is possible to put oil in The propeller tube when the tube is glued in keel?
Daniel20200513_115253.jpg

I thought about adding some elements for better planking.
Is worth it or no?
Last image is gearbox element for cutting20200513_124046.jpg20200513_123007.jpg

By the way , How is possible to put oil in The propeller tube when the tube is glued in keel?

You could drill a hole into propeller shaft tube and solder there a short tube with threaded cap. Through this tube you could fill oil using a syringe.
Or, if you want to use grease, you should solder there a grease nipple and use grease press which can be connected to the nipple.
image.png

Back