Steam powered wooden Drifter trawler, Formidable LT100, 1/20 scale by neptune

View attachment 283527
the handles needed to be filed a little bit for a nice tight fit as in the top handle,

View attachment 283529
then they were tapped in place with a small light hammer, I then pulled them back out and applied a touch of CA glue and replaced them back in place,

View attachment 283531
all the handles in place,

View attachment 283533
and approx where they will sit on the fore deck,

View attachment 283534
approx where the funnel will sit, it has of course to be trimmed to size yet,

thanks again for all the comments and the likes,

best regards John,

Hi John,
Fish hatches and lids look great.

Cheers,
Stephen.

370.jpg

Next up is preparing for the superstructure, both the sides of the engine room and also the galley are rounded at the top, so I bought some wood quad of the right size for the Galley which was 22.5mm quad, the shortest length I could buy was 2.4m so I cut the amount needed for the top of the galley and then cut some of what was left down to the right size for the top of the engine room,

371.jpg
sitting over the plan, just the right size,

372.jpg
so I had to cut this quad down to 12mm to fit for the engine room top,

373.jpg
this is the base for the engine room structure, pretty straight forward construction,

374.jpg
and another view,

best regards John.

375.jpg
Just another warning about these plans, they look great but make sure you check everything, this is the top of the engine room, the vernier is measuring from the centre of the funnel to the outside of the casing, 60mm, the next line out from the vernier is the hand rail that runs along side the engine room casing,

376.jpg
but when I measure the other side it is 60mm to the hand rail,

377.jpg
Here is a closer clearer look,

378.jpg
and the other side, so just be careful,

379.jpg
another thing that I noticed was the port hole for the galley, they show the top of the port 15mm below the galley roof line,

380.jpg
but 15mm down from the roof there is still a curve in the side wall, so I will have to lower the port to fit, there have been another few instances of these discrepancies,

381.jpg
marking out for where the funnel will go,

382.jpg
and also the two vents for the engine room,

383.jpg
I made two supports for the vents, I'm not really happy with these as they are too small, so I may have to make a pair a bit bigger, and also cut the hole for the funnel,

384.jpg
I just trimmed the tops of the dowells to allow the vents to slip on the supports,

386.jpg
a few pics of the funnel and vents, I'm going to have to make some new vents these ones are just too small,

387.jpg

388.jpg
thank you for looking in,

best regards John.

View attachment 283875
Just another warning about these plans, they look great but make sure you check everything, this is the top of the engine room, the vernier is measuring from the centre of the funnel to the outside of the casing, 60mm, the next line out from the vernier is the hand rail that runs along side the engine room casing,

View attachment 283876
but when I measure the other side it is 60mm to the hand rail,

View attachment 283877
Here is a closer clearer look,

View attachment 283878
and the other side, so just be careful,

View attachment 283879
another thing that I noticed was the port hole for the galley, they show the top of the port 15mm below the galley roof line,

View attachment 283881
but 15mm down from the roof there is still a curve in the side wall, so I will have to lower the port to fit, there have been another few instances of these discrepancies,

Hi John,

I agree the plans do leave you scratching your head and wondering.

Cheers,
Stephen.

View attachment 283870

Next up is preparing for the superstructure, both the sides of the engine room and also the galley are rounded at the top, so I bought some wood quad of the right size for the Galley which was 22.5mm quad, the shortest length I could buy was 2.4m so I cut the amount needed for the top of the galley and then cut some of what was left down to the right size for the top of the engine room,

View attachment 283871
sitting over the plan, just the right size,

View attachment 283872
so I had to cut this quad down to 12mm to fit for the engine room top,

View attachment 283873
this is the base for the engine room structure, pretty straight forward construction,

View attachment 283874
and another view,

best regards John.
Great idea with the quad John, lovely work.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Great idea with the quad John, lovely work.

Cheers,
Stephen.

And also a big thank you to you Steve for all the support idea's and lovely photos of your LT100, you have helped me enormously, LT100 is a beautiful ship to build but there have and will be frustrations along the way, but that is all part of the journey and the fun of the build.
I hope you are feeling rested and relaxed I look forward to seeing you back at your LT100 soon,
Best regards John,

Also a very big thank you to all those who are following my build and have left me likes, your support is fantastic, I am hoping that in the very near future I will have a chance to catch up on all your builds, at the moment thing's are a little bit hectic due to personal reasons and the builds keep me focused,
Best regards John

And also a big thank you to you Steve for all the support idea's and lovely photos of your LT100, you have helped me enormously, LT100 is a beautiful ship to build but there have and will be frustrations along the way, but that is all part of the journey and the fun of the build.
I hope you are feeling rested and relaxed I look forward to seeing you back at your LT100 soon,
Best regards John,
Thanks John,
I have taken a bit of a side step and re-started work on my rope making and serving machine that was started over 30 years ago, i will post some info in the near future.

Cheers,
Stephen.

388.jpg
As I said in my last post I was not happy with the two vents, on checking the pics in the book and also the plans it was obvious that the vent itself wasn't too bad but the trunk needed to be thicker,

389.jpg
so I set up some thicker dowell in my sherline and centered it,

390.jpg
then center drilled it,

391.jpg
then drilled it out with a 10mm bit,

392.jpg
I needed the hole to be 12.5mm so I had to bore it out,

393.jpg
and the shaft of the vent fit just nice,

Continued in next post,

394.jpg
a little bit of filler to bridge the two parts, this was after I had CA glued the vents in place,

395.jpg
and a few pics while sanding it to shape,

396.jpg
and next to the plan, I still have to attach the handles for turning the vents and also join where the trunk swivels,

398.jpg
and compared against a drawing of the ship, not perfect but not too bad, on ce they have been painted they should look OK,

best regards John.

399.jpg
This is the carcass that will be the galley aft of the engine room casing,

400.jpg
and this is the start of the wheel house,

401.jpg
how the three will look when glued together,

402.jpg
and a couple of pics of where it all will go,

403.jpg
lots to do yet, and I have to decide whether I will just be painting the superstructure or plating it showing the rivets,

best regards john.

404.jpg
I've resized the holes for the trunk of the vents to go through and added reinforcing pieces under the engine room casing,

405.jpg
I've also added the back section to the wheel house, the wheel house up to where I am now is steel plating along with the engine room casing and the galley as well, the top part of the wheel house is timber and windows, see pic below,

20220121_135128.jpg

406.jpg
This is how I will do the steel plating showing the rivets, this is just a quick mock up,

407.jpg
and this is what I used for the mock up,

408.jpg
I will probably use these copper sheets that I have as long as i can smooth the sheets out so they look OK,

Back