The "Chinese" Harvey

Hey! The wire arrived! It is about 7F where I am in Ohio right now, and the wire was delivered on the porch outside, so I think I should let it normalize to the temps inside the house before I play with it. Probably tomorrow,
:eek:Freezing here in UK too. Brrrrr, but not too cold to make models!

Why stainless, and not blackened brass?
Mainly just cost and availability. I'll just paint it black if it works. I also wanted something harder than brass if it is able to be dual purposed for eyes and rings for rigging. But we'll see if I don't switch to brass at some point.

Have you got thiss.... For some reason I became a sssssssssnake Speechless

View attachment 421558
It just so happens....
IMG_1327.jpg
I also have another book on the Baltimore Clipper history.
But I thought you would ask me why I have 2 (almost) identical books. :)
I purchased the one on the left (newer reprint) because I thought the pages and prints would be better. However, any of the drawings are so light as to not be legible. So, I picked up the older one (on the right) that has much better quality line drawings. :)

I just want to say that several of you reaally suck. Zoopher, for driving me forward, even though I would like a break. You suck.

Zoopher sucks.jpg

And Kurt! Because I have 22-gauge brass wire being delivered tomorrow. I just wanted you to know, you suck!

Cheers,

M.

At least we suck with style. :D Thumbsup No pressure, my friend, but please try to keep up! ROTF
As I said before, you suck. But I guess I like you anywho. Frenemies?

Here is the difference in the equivalent cost of 22 gauge Stainless and Brass. But then I realized I probably only need 10 inches of wire TOTAL for this model, so the entire spool of either will never be used (by me, in my lifetime)! At the bottom of the pic is a strand of the Brass after blacking once by swabbing. I tested first to confirm that this wire has a clear (maybe lacquer?) finish to keep it shiny. And so had to sand that off to allow the oxidant to get to the metal to black it. I'm used to needing to remove the lacquer from magnet wire from working with it on some electrical "projects" through the years... And you guys probably know all this already, but I want to make sure these tips are passed along.

IMG_0284.jpeg

Okay Kurt (who I am not sure if I like or not...), check it: Cannon trunnions.

Cannon.jpeg

Also, Zooph is still with us. He is just relaxing somewhere where he cannot work on his models and post. And so opportunity presents me with a chance to catch up!

Cheers,

M.

Okay Kurt (who I am not sure if I like or not...), check it: Cannon trunnions.

View attachment 422306

Also, Zooph is still with us. He is just relaxing somewhere where he cannot work on his models and post. And so opportunity presents me with a chance to catch up!

Cheers,

M.
The trunnions were all installed by "feel" since I cannot see details at this small of scale. BUT! I've found the next project prospect. At 1/24 scale!?! I might have a better chance of all the detail.

M.

Also, the fore has been set.

View attachment 422310
I think I am relying too much on glue. I am thinking that the masts must have been only secured by the Stays (and their weight). And so the rigging of the Stays would be crucial to the instillation of the masts? And that is a question for the community! Because I don't know and I would LOVE to learn more.

So, were the masts on these boats only held in place by the Stays? And, if so, I would assume Stays would change tension (even if tarred) over time. And would be needed to be re-tensioned though the deadeyes?

M.

I think I am relying too much on glue. I am thinking that the masts must have been only secured by the Stays (and their weight). And so the rigging of the Stays would be crucial to the instillation of the masts? And that is a question for the community! Because I don't know and I would LOVE to learn more.

So, were the masts on these boats only held in place by the Stays? And, if so, I would assume Stays would change tension (even if tarred) over time. And would be needed to be re-tensioned though the deadeyes?

M.
Even if you do not glue the masts, the stays and shrouds would hold them firmly in place. You want to glue the masts and ensure that are at the correct angle because they will play a role in your setting of the stays and shrouds later. If the masts resist being pulled out of position, because they are glued down, you can feel how taut the line you are rigging is.

Back