The "Chinese" Harvey

Okay Kurt (who I am not sure if I like or not...), check it: Cannon trunnions.

View attachment 422306

Also, Zooph is still with us. He is just relaxing somewhere where he cannot work on his models and post. And so opportunity presents me with a chance to catch up!

Cheers,

M.
No worries. Zooph will save up more zingers to throw at us when he gets back and catches up.

As I said before, you suck. But I guess I like you anywho. Frenemies?

Here is the difference in the equivalent cost of 22 gauge Stainless and Brass. But then I realized I probably only need 10 inches of wire TOTAL for this model, so the entire spool of either will never be used (by me, in my lifetime)! At the bottom of the pic is a strand of the Brass after blacking once by swabbing. I tested first to confirm that this wire has a clear (maybe lacquer?) finish to keep it shiny. And so had to sand that off to allow the oxidant to get to the metal to black it. I'm used to needing to remove the lacquer from magnet wire from working with it on some electrical "projects" through the years... And you guys probably know all this already, but I want to make sure these tips are passed along.

View attachment 421967
I Managed to find some fuse wire, useful stuff.

Also, a couple of these on the way:

And thanks to Donnie I am awaiting these:

Right now I'd estimate the Harvey kit is less than 1/6 of the cost of tools and other supplies spent on this project. At least everything is small. But my work bench/computer desk is getting cluttered. Not to mention covered in sawdust!

Also, a couple of these on the way:

And thanks to Donnie I am awaiting these:

Right now I'd estimate the Harvey kit is less than 1/6 of the cost of tools and other supplies spent on this project. At least everything is small. But my work bench/computer desk is getting cluttered. Not to mention covered in sawdust!
Will give modelerscentral a look, so thanks sucker! Bwahahahaaa!

Okay, so another community question. As I am tapering the Main with a drill motor and sandpaper I wondered: How did the real ship builders do this?

M.

Spokeshaves
Thanks! And the follow-up question... Did they pull those down from the thinner end or up from the thicker end. I would assume upwards (well sideways since it would not be installed in the boat yet) towards the thinner end?

M.

Thanks! And the follow-up question... Did they pull those down from the thinner end or up from the thicker end. I would assume upwards (well sideways since it would not be installed in the boat yet) towards the thinner end?

M.
I believe from the thicker end but in stages to eventually form the taper.

Even if you do not glue the masts, the stays and shrouds would hold them firmly in place. You want to glue the masts and ensure that are at the correct angle because they will play a role in your setting of the stays and shrouds later. If the masts resist being pulled out of position, because they are glued down, you can feel how taut the line you are rigging is.
Cool. Any advice about securing the stays and shrouds to the hull (under the channels)? We've got no hardware, nor holes. So I assume we will have to drill holes into the hull? But how do you "push" a rope into a hole and make it look taut?

Back