The "Chinese" Harvey

I'm a military brat. My Father was US Air Force at the time. And we were stationed at SHAPE in Belgium. But he was sent to the UK every now and then and if it allowed, he would bring us along. And so at age 7 I saw Shakespear's "Taming of the Shrew". And at some point (another trip, I believe), we acquired the card model of the Royal Shakespear Theater.

I'm a military brat. My Father was US Air Force at the time. And we were stationed at SHAPE in Belgium. But he was sent to the UK every now and then and if it allowed, he would bring us along. And so at age 7 I saw Shakespear's "Taming of the Shrew". And at some point (another trip, I believe), we acquired the card model of the Royal Shakespear Theater.
Ah, right. Sorry it's late here and my brain isn't functioning.

Thanks, Kurt. I'll let that soak in a bit. It gives me a good baseline for a strategy.

And while I have been mostly impressed with the quality of the wood in this kit I have now broken two dowels while trying to tapper the top of the Main. The Bowsprit and top of the Fore were no problem, and so I assumed the Main would be just as uneventful. But so far the two pieces of dowel wood have been so brittle! I abandoned the first because it snapped just from the slight torsion caused by me spinning it against sandpaper. The next snapped twice doing the same! I have since glued that one back together to try to salvage enough dowel to complete that piece. But I fear it will snap again when rigging. But still better than the cost and hassle of driving to a hobby/hardware store in this polar vortex.

So really?

First world issues, I guess...
Building models like this ALWAYS requires a strategy. :D
My kit didn't have the proper diameter dowel in it for the main mast anyway. I bought some which is close to the right size at Menards. Dowels in the USA aren't in metric sizes, but you can get close, plus they are cheap, juts like the rest of this kit. If you are snapping dowels while turn-sanding them to size, you aren't supporting the free spinning end properly. Use 60 grit sandpaper to spin the dowels down to size, THEN sand them by hand, using handheld sandpaper with 120 grit along the grain. Don't feel bad. My topgallant yard broke and needed splicing also.

Last edited:
Zooph! You have to get me one of these and ship it over! They do not ship to the US yet! Please, please, please! I need to teach my daughter how to drive and I think this is the safest way.

You should always have at least one crazy Brit among your circle of friends...;)

You should always have at least one crazy Brit among your circle of friends...;)
Yeah, but that s**t won't ship me that SUPER cool miniature RC bus! WTF? But I guess we should not type about him while he is asleep.

With that said, what is up with that limey? I mean I am excited that Zooph is with us on the build of these cheapy Chinese models, but HE'S WEIRD, RIGHT?

Oh crap... Did I type that out loud?

Last edited:
Yeah, but that s**t won't ship me that SUPER cool miniature RC bus! WTF? But I guess we should not type about him while he is asleep.

With that said, what is up with that limey? I mean I am excited that Zooph is with us on the build of these cheapy Chinese models, but HE'S WEIRD, RIGHT?

Bringing spice to the forum. U Gotta luvit.

Weird is just another word for unique...

Right. And so I have been wrapping the Bowsprit slowly as I have limited time during the week. But here we are now:

Bowsprit wrap.jpeg

Several more turns to go (obviously)!

Where is everyone else at?!? Are you still on it Zooph? And Kurt (if you have a separate buildlog please send me a link)?!?

M.

The crazy limey is still alive. I gave up on the Newport but have started the Harvey. Am having problems with my pics but am doing things properly this time. Bearding, rabbets and champhering the frames are all done, soaked the gunwales and curved them over my soldering iron. So been busy.

The crazy limey is still alive. I gave up on the Newport but have started the Harvey. Am having problems with my pics but am doing things properly this time. Bearding, rabbets and champhering the frames are all done, soaked the gunwales and curved them over my soldering iron. So been busy.
HARVEY! No, no, no Nooooo!

Either way, keep your pants on man. The wood quality of your kit is definitely different than mine and so my pain points and yours will most likely be different (as you already know)!

But compared to your Newport model I think you'll prefer the (laser cut contoured) planks of the Harvey model! It was spot on! The anchors however......

M.

Hey M, why are you obsessed with tiny RC vehicles? Is it a Freudian thing?
Anyhoo, you're getting along nicely and yes, this kit is superior to the Newport piece of crap. I did however learn a lot so along with reading and looking at other folks builds hope to make a better job this time. Here's a few pics...2024-01-26 10.36.1.jpg2024-01-26 10.34.56.jpg2024-01-26 10.41.48.jpg2024-01-26 10.31.35.jpg2024-01-26 10.39.59.jpgCrazy Andy.jpgCrazy limey indeed...

I like this mini 1:87 RC Bus - and also your work on the ship model Thumbsup

Back