The "Chinese" Harvey

Hey M, why are you obsessed with tiny RC vehicles? Is it a Freudian thing?
Anyhoo, you're getting along nicely and yes, this kit is superior to the Newport piece of crap. I did however learn a lot so along with reading and looking at other folks builds hope to make a better job this time. Here's a few pics...View attachment 423768View attachment 423769View attachment 423770View attachment 423771View attachment 423772View attachment 423773Crazy limey indeed...
Ha! Well actually, I love miniatures and had recently seen a video where a guy buys these small-scale plastic car models and then converts them to RC. He makes tiny suspension pieces and steering linkages and then adds stepper motors for the steering and the drive wheels. And then he does all the lights, including the turn signals! He then runs it all from a couple of joysticks and a bunch of micro buttons on a breadboard. That blew my mind!

And then I saw you can buy similar (no turn signals though) from Germany. I just thought that would be so cool to run on a tabletop. But then I read that Carson does not ship to the US (so, not UL approved?!?). And that probably made me want one more.

I'd probably only play with it once or twice and then give it to someone as a gift, so no big deal. But I think they are cool as s**t!

I don't think Freud played a part. But (of course) I cannot be 100% sure. You'd have to interview my Mother?

M.

I think we're close to having to rig (shivers!!!). I'll have to see how much longer I can stall...

IMG_0293.jpeg
I've also broken and repaired the dolphin striker four times now. It is such brittle wood! As are some of the dowels in this kit. I thought dousing them with thin CA like I have used for YEARS on balsa plane models would stiffen them. But it is almost like this wood repels CA from penetrating and you only get a surface bond? Maybe it's just me.

M.

I think we're close to having to rig (shivers!!!). I'll have to see how much longer I can stall...

View attachment 423930
I've also broken and repaired the dolphin striker four times now. It is such brittle wood! As are some of the dowels in this kit. I thought dousing them with thin CA like I have used for YEARS on balsa plane models would stiffen them. But it is almost like this wood repels CA from penetrating and you only get a surface bond? Maybe it's just me.

M.
Sweet job!!

View attachment 423930

M.
Yup! Everything past this point is research and scratch building! Look at the other build logs of the cheap kits for ideas and read up of schooner rigging. The are some truly excellent posts on MSW forum on that, and Lennarth Petersson’s book provides belaying location ideas, so you don’t have to work unguided.

Wait! Breach ropes and cannon on deck! That should delay rigging a bit longer, right? Or are breach ropes technically rigging? I wouldn't think so?

M.

Wait! Breach ropes and cannon on deck! That should delay rigging a bit longer, right? Or are breach ropes technically rigging? I wouldn't think so?

M.
Yes. get all the deck features and cannon carriage rigging done first or the rigging will crowd your access out later. On a model this small, you should not rig the gun tackles, only make the breeching ropes.

Yes. get all the deck features and cannon carriage rigging done first or the rigging will crowd your access out later. On a model this small, you should not rig the gun tackles, only make the breeching ropes.

RIght. And I'm testing the first one for length. Is there a length that the breech ropes should be? Or just "make it look good?" I assume you would not want the cannon to be able to blow back completely past the gunwale and inside the boat?

M.

Hey if it works balls too em
Gonna go with, "hmmm maybe?!?!? I know it is not Churchill, but it's the best I have at the moment!

And, you, sir?

PS. And what about the young lady from down the street? She played guitar for you?!? I assume she was into you then man. But I still would like to read your take on the evening. That is if you can remember...

RIght. And I'm testing the first one for length. Is there a length that the breech ropes should be? Or just "make it look good?" I assume you would not want the cannon to be able to blow back completely past the gunwale and inside the boat?

M.
Make the breeching ropes long enough such that when the carriage is rolled back, the end of the muzzle is barely inside the bulwark. This allows the cannon crew to be able to swab and reload the cannon.

Example:
1706387092780.png

Back