The Naval Cutter ALERT- 1777, POF by Jimsky

Jimsky I went only through half of your built log and I am speechless !!!

Fortunately this type of build log exist :)

This built will be my Master build test.... the good part is that I am the last one on the list and I have others to build before :).

Cheers
Daniel

This built will be my Master build test.... the good part is that I am the last one on the list and I have others to build before
Hello Dan, and many thanks for the compliments! We (the members of Alert group builders) are happy to know that our build logs will make it easier for others to assemble this very nice kit. Please check out other build logs, they are well packed with hints and suggestions. Paul, @paulv1958 made his build log as a series of video clips, he even creating an English manual. For sure, it should be somewhat easier for all of you guys! That is the intent of the group build! ;) We help each other!

Did a ship of that period have live birds on board for meals?
Yes - they had chicken, turkey, geese, ducks but also pigs, sheep and cows on board
The fresh meat was usually reserved for the officers and not for the able seamen.

Along with standard provisions, ships carried livestock: cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, geese, hens and chickens to provide fresh meat, milk and eggs. Cattle were supplied by the Royal Navy, but other livestock were bought by officers and seamen to supplement their rations.
Scene_de_pont_montrant_poulailler_barreur_et_capitaine_vers_17715-1.jpg

For additional information related to the ovens etc, please take also a look at our special topic

Last edited:
All those animals went on board ships as well as the most important animal required for the new worlds - horses.
From what I have read the live meat and poultry were for officers after the mast and the crew before the mast had to do with the bad barreled and tinned meat and hard tack not consumed by rats and weavles. Also aboard Victory (Nelson era) were a few wives of the upper officers. Have you run across that? Rich (PT-2)

Greeting all! Hope you are all healthy and enjoying the weekend with your families, friends, doing some work in your shipyards. :)

While I was learning the next few steps for the assembly, and browsing the instruction manual I came across some discrepancies and would ask you folks for a hand. The question for those who already completed the Lover Deck beams installation. The instruction manual, page 27, fig. 6.11 depict the Lover Deck beam plan (see below). look at the first beam towards the bow, part #DL3. There are two notches for the Pawl bitt pins. Those bits are parts of the bowsprit assembly - kit parts are FL6/7 and FL8/9. Make a note: The notches are looking towards the stern!

lover_deck_beam.PNG

Furthermore, this proved by checking the AOTS book drawings. Red circled showing the beam (DL3), and part 24 at the drawings, is the Pawl Bitt pin (the left one if facing the bow)

DL3.PNG

Everything looks good so far, correct? But if you check the lover Deck Plan (most recent documentation) provided as help for cabin installation, you will find that part DL3 notches facing the bow (opposite) direction. This further seen in the Wang build log (image below)

lower_deckPaln_E.PNG

Wang's model (taking from his build log)
1607224575576.png

...so, here is the question. What should be considered as the correct posion for the build? Many thanks who will chime in! Enjoy the weekend.

Ok, its wrong, slots should go towards the stern( if you place the upper beams in you will see the corresponding upper slots so that they line up either side of the beam( lower & upper slots facing each other))
HOWEVER, adding the cabins changes all of this as the walls go directly over the slots and as such block where the bits would go down. You have to modify the bits slightly to allow. I did say that adding the cabins makes a change! The original design does NOT cater for cabins and as such both must be altered to accommodate.

Ok, its wrong, slots should go towards the stern( if you place the upper beams in you will see the corresponding upper slots so that they line up either side of the beam( lower & upper slots facing each other))
HOWEVER, adding the cabins changes all of this as the walls go directly over the slots and as such block where the bits would go down. You have to modify the bits slightly to allow. I did say that adding the cabins makes a change! The original design does NOT cater for cabins and as such both must be altered to accommodate.
Many thanks, Paul! This is what I thought, but the photo from Wang's model makes me scratch my back of the head. Yes, the cabins will make the assembly challenging but at the same time more interesting. Also, while checking the book's draft I found that the Transverse bulkhead goes under the beam

1607228864006.png

Thnak you again, the show must go on!

Many thanks, Joley Roger and Christian! It is confusing, though. I guess now, it is not of the matter of how historically accurate the Pawl bit positioned, it more of the challenge for the kit. Cause, depending on the Pawl bit positioning it will shift windlass and bowsprit assembly for about 5mm either way!!! I guess, to clear the sky, it is time to ask the designer.
@Trident Model Please let us know, the part DL3 (lower deck beam) correct positioning. Should the notches for Pawl bits facing the Stern or the Bow?

This one?

1607271049193.png

.... or this one?

1607271130952.png

Many thanks all who are trying to help!!! It is much appriciated. :)

and a very rough mockup of where i think it should be positioned, DL3's notches pointing forwards towards the bow
Hello, my friend, Thanks for the feedback. After zooming (2x) your image I found few notches: one for the Pawl bit (i think), and another for Carling. I am not able to see the opposite side of the beam (facing the bow), but Pawl bit notch all the way thru, but carling is not. Check the image red and green boxes
IMG_20201206_085903.jpg

Anyway, I have tagged Triden for help!

Back