The Naval Cutter ALERT- 1777, POF by Jimsky

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Many thanks to all for your comments. Those sewing pins come in many different sizes and head forms. The one, I had fitter perfectly for my scale, when I ordered more, the heads were a bigger size. I guess you have to find the proper one...to suit your needs. ;)

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Hello, Uwe.
Totally understand your concern; nothing can be worth ruining your work in the end with such blemishes. I did the preliminary test on the timber I use. I this case it is Cherry. The results come OK. At least for a given (immediate) time. I don't know how it will react over years, but the past few weeks, I have not seen any signs of a reaction. Below are my tests with few coats of Linseed oil.

IMG_1840.JPEG IMG_1842.JPEG

I am suspecting those pins are stainless steel (they don't stick to magnets). Also, I do not blacken them with chemical solutions only anil the head for 'blue steel' effects, and I will not use stain for this build, only Linseed oil. Also, I don't use glue for pins, I push them like nails. Maybe the glue is the one causing trouble? Technically, stainless steel shouldn't be oxidized and react to any chemicals. Time will tell...I guess.

Hello Jim, hello Uwe,
I watch with great interest and profit the various building reports in this forum and have found a lot of very good ideas and hints. The question of bolts and nails is handled differently, but always helpful.
The idea of stainless steel pins or wire and a "burr" are very good so I don't have to experiment myself. Thank you very much!
I'm glad every time there is another new message from the "Alert" report!
Many greetings
Fritz

P.S.: Since I'm pretty much at the end of the Alert interest list, it will probably be quite some time before I can start with my build report.

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Hello Jim, hello Uwe,
I watch with great interest and profit the various building reports in this forum and have found a lot of very good ideas and hints. The question of bolts and nails is handled differently, but always helpful.
The idea of stainless steel pins or wire and a "burr" are very good so I don't have to experiment myself. Thank you very much!
I'm glad every time there is another new message from the "Alert" report!
Many greetings
Fritz

P.S.: Since I'm pretty much at the end of the Alert interest list, it will probably be quite some time before I can start with my build report.
Thank you so much for the comments, Fritz. We all shared the knowledge so everyone can find what they most like to use in current or future builds! We are SOS!