The other Eric's HMS Blandford Cross Section - 1:48 - Scratch build

Looks very good, I look forward to seeing when you start with assembly in construction jig, regards-

Thanks, guys. Cant seem to manage more than one frame a day, but it does move forward. Last frame should be done tomorrow, and then ill need to get the framing jig together. How concerned should I be that these aren't aligning perfectly without the jig?View attachment 176539View attachment 176540
Hi Eric, your frames will be okay, if you start your project with a build board and or a jig it is easier to keep track of your progress. When the jig is complete build the keel and place it in the jig. You will now be able to fit each frame to the keel and make any required adjustments to the frames or the notches in the jig to make sure the frames are in alignment and perpendicular to the keel. It usually works out better to make the notch in the frame match the keel notch. The frames are fine but will require a little extra work.

Alright, alright, alright..
Jig is complete and frames seem to align well. Now if only my keel wood would arrive.

20200907_191233.jpg

I also started making bolt holes in the frames. Just drilled a hole, sanded, and darkened with a very light coat of tung oil.

20200907_191253.jpg20200907_191310.jpg

Last edited:
Experimenting with different methods on the throughbolts. This is brass wire. Drilled a 0.7mm hole, slid in 20G wire, clipped flush and sanded lightly. Now, historically, should I blacken the brass to mimic iron here?20200913_165346.jpg20200913_165356.jpg

Last edited:
Another new tool...the Proxxon FET table saw.
I'll use it to rip timber to size for the Blandford. I was able to lower the blade and use it almost like a mill to notch the keel. Very happy with it--even with just the stock blade, it both rips and crosscuts quite smoothly.
20200917_134336.jpg

Here is the notched keel. Cherry keel with purple heart for the false keel.

20200917_134352.jpg

Last edited:
Wash the blackened parts in water to remove all the solution and dry them and you will not have stain transfer to the frames.

Alrighty, framing bolts all installed and blackened. Used a Q-tip to lightly dab Jax Pewter Black in situ, and dabbed up any excess when complete. No trouble with the fluid staining, at least on the cherry.20200921_140442.jpg

Last edited:
Back