The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I can see clearing skies and calming seas ahead. I have learned my lesson using shinny decks, the glare is no more so you all can take off your sunglasses when viewing my build here. This really was a simple matter of overpainting all the wood with matte poly taking all of 15 minutes since there was not much in the way at this stage. I did leave one item, the cabin door in the clear poly state. I've added the bollards and partial windlass pieces in the bow. I had to place the bow sprit in at this point, it will not go in backwards.

I completed and set the rudder steering gear box which was fun to assemble. See what you think.

IMG_2781.jpgIMG_2782.jpgIMG_2783.jpgIMG_2784.jpgIMG_2785.jpgIMG_2786.jpgIMG_2787.jpg

Thanks for taking a look and happy modeling to you.

I can see clearing skies and calming seas ahead. I have learned my lesson using shinny decks, the glare is no more so you all can take off your sunglasses when viewing my build here. This really was a simple matter of overpainting all the wood with matte poly taking all of 15 minutes since there was not much in the way at this stage. I did leave one item, the cabin door in the clear poly state. I've added the bollards and partial windlass pieces in the bow. I had to place the bow sprit in at this point, it will not go in backwards.

I completed and set the rudder steering gear box which was fun to assemble. See what you think.

View attachment 387857View attachment 387858View attachment 387859View attachment 387860View attachment 387861View attachment 387862View attachment 387863

Slowly, but surely she's becoming a looker.
Within a couple of months you'll need to keep her under lock and barrel; she'll be gone from under your hands before you know it.

View attachment 387857View attachment 387858View attachment 387859View attachment 387860View attachment 387861View attachment 387862View attachment 387863

Good morning Daniel. Wow. From my view point it is so much nicer than the gloss. Not only the reflective issue but shows up the wood, joints and your work more. She is a beauty. Cheers Grant

I'm happy if you're happy Daniel. Selection of finish is such a personal thing. On my Vasa and the esping I used only linseed oil (and all the painted pieces received a flat poly finish) - on the Kingfisher I'll use (matte) wipe-on-poly so you know what I prefer! In other words - I'm glad you're happy, and now I'm happier too ROTF.

I'm happy if you're happy Daniel. Selection of finish is such a personal thing. On my Vasa and the esping I used only linseed oil (and all the painted pieces received a flat poly finish) - on the Kingfisher I'll use (matte) wipe-on-poly so you know what I prefer! In other words - I'm glad you're happy, and now I'm happier too ROTF.
Thanks Paul, the only shiny things I'll have on deck now will be some of the brass fittings. And I am happy that we are all happier too ROTF

Good afternoon, all.
Moving along with this build I,ve been busy on the foredeck furnishings. The windlass is a combination of kit supplied and aftermarket (secondary drive chain) items.
I have studied pictures of the original BN winch and mine will be lacking several features such as missing gears and guard over a primary gear drive as well as other items that would make for a more realistic presentation. For my purposes what I have will be more than enough for viewers to get the main idea.

IMG_2811.jpgIMG_2817.jpgIMG_2819.jpg

Next a couple shots of the winch motor box and covered drive chain enclosure being built. I can see once the motor box, galley chimney, and bowsprit accommodations are installed it will be quite crowded up front.

IMG_2807.jpgIMG_2821.jpg

I've also added the forecastle sky vent and companionway with my version of the paint scheme.

IMG_2820.jpg

And last but not least an up-to-date overall view with the motor box just dry fit.

IMG_2822.jpg

I sure thank you all for checking in.
Happy modeling.

That sure is getting crowded up there, Daniel, but it is beautifully executed. I can't wait to see when you have that motor box completed.

Back