The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good afternoon, everyone.
I have spent the last 3 days building out the captain's cabin roof with all its openings and trim work. I had toyed with the idea of making it removable but ultimately decided against it. I used some 2x2mm stock and scraped it down to 1/4 round, painted it black as the bottom trim. First three shots are checking and dry fitting, I trimmed down the 1/4 round at the door to represent the threshold. Check it out.

IMG_2759.jpgIMG_2761.jpgIMG_2762.jpg

The rest of the photos are just various angle shots.

IMG_2765.jpgIMG_2767.jpgIMG_2768.jpgIMG_2769.jpgIMG_2775.jpg

Before I forget, here is the stern name plate. I really did want to use the original BN name with the masonic emblem just below the top rail, but I know what would happen if I tried free handing it. I used the kit supplied one, painted it all and cleaned off the letters then positioned it like the BN II, oh well.

IMG_2753.jpg

I hate to admit this, but I am on the dang fence again concerning shiny verses matte finish on the deck. One coat of matte finish over all the wood is all I have to do. I may try the matte finish on the cabin deck and see.

Till next time, happy modeling!

That's one good looking aft cabin, with a combo of scratch-build and kit-supplied parts.
It sure does your build justice.

I was actually waiting to see some functioning doors to appear, but alas, no such luck.
Still, mission accomplished!

I have spent the last 3 days building out the captain's cabin roof with all its openings and trim work. I had toyed with the idea of making it removable but ultimately decided against it. I used some 2x2mm stock and scraped it down to 1/4 round, painted it black as the bottom trim. First three shots are checking and dry fitting, I trimmed down the 1/4 round at the door to represent the threshold. Check it out.

View attachment 387611View attachment 387612View attachment 387613

View attachment 387616View attachment 387617View attachment 387618View attachment 387619View attachment 387620

Before I forget, here is the stern name plate. I really did want to use the original BN name with the masonic emblem just below the top rail, but I know what would happen if I tried free handing it. I used the kit supplied one, painted it all and cleaned off the letters then positioned it like the BN II, oh well.

View attachment 387621

I hate to admit this, but I am on the dang fence again concerning shiny verses matte finish on the deck. One coat of matte finish over all the wood is all I have to do. I may try the matte finish on the cabin deck and see.

Good morning Daniel. What a stunning pic the last one of the stern- wow. The cabin is quality and as always your wood work and finish spot on. Ahh the gloss…..I used gloss on the bottom of my Victory and in certain lighting I love it, but when it reflects the light and is all shinny (as in my photo with Heinrich) I consider inverting her and putting a layer of Matt on too. Personally, in the photos above your gloss looks awesome in the “further away” pics but in the close ups with the reflection I would go Matt. How you finish off your lighting is something to consider as well. After all that blah blah I’m no help ROTF . Cheers Grant

That's one good looking aft cabin, with a combo of scratch-build and kit-supplied parts.
It sure does your build justice.

I was actually waiting to see some functioning doors to appear, but alas, no such luck.
Still, mission accomplished!
Well thanks for the complement, Johan. Sorry no functioning doors this go around, Ha if you were to open this door there'd be a white wall staring at you.

in the photos above your gloss looks awesome in the “further away” pics but in the close ups with the reflection I would go Matt
Grant, I came to the exact same conclusion when I took this last set of photos. This was the first time the reflection problem really began to bother me as I was trying to take shots that minimized the reflectiveness.

Looks great Daniel! I am a fan of the matte finish for several reasons. Most important one is that a shiny finish actually shows less wood grain due to the light washing it out. And the matte looks more realistic in my opinion.
Thanks for your opinion, Dean, like I was telling Grant, this is the first set of photos that gave me a visual problem because of the bright intense reflective property of the gloss finish. During my meeting with the admiral, she instructed me to lose the shine, so the next pics will be a total matte finish appearance.

Dear Daniel - seeing that you mentioned it, I would definitely go for the matte finish on the deck. By the way, I see that Xiuli from YuanQing is checking out your build!

Dear Daniel - seeing that you mentioned it, I would definitely go for the matte finish on the deck. By the way, I see that Xiuli from YuanQing is checking out your build!
Hello Heinrich, yes, I did get a mention from YuanQing (I assume Xiuli is the author). That was a very pleasant surprise.
I have already made the deck transition to a matte finish; I will post pictures in my next update along with more additions to the deck.

Hello Heinrich, yes, I did get a mention from YuanQing (I assume Xiuli is the author). That was a very pleasant surprise.
I have already made the deck transition to a matte finish; I will post pictures in my next update along with more additions to the deck.
Great stuff, my friend!

View attachment 387611View attachment 387612View attachment 387613

View attachment 387616View attachment 387617View attachment 387618View attachment 387619View attachment 387620

View attachment 387621

A nice cabin with the wood appearance, Daniel. And the white parts gives a nice contrast and accents the lines well.
The brass nameplate at the stern is a good choice in combination with the plates at the bow.
Regards, Peter

Back