The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well good evening all, I have a late evening post this time. I decided to fashion my version of the Bluenose's stand and am quite satisfied with the outcome. I started by cutting some walnut strips to overlay the kit supplied base (which had a less than desirable looking finish). Then sanding in to match the side bevels. Using the same paint scheme as on the BN itself painted the sloped edges midnight blue. Take a look.

IMG_2734.jpgIMG_2735.jpg

A year or so ago I had purchased some brass pedestals for my Vasa but never used them. So now the perfect opportunity is here and with a little woodwork and polishing here they are.

IMG_2745.jpgIMG_2746.jpg

With 2 coats of clear matte poly on top I couldn't be happier. Here she is sitting on her perch.

IMG_2747.jpg

And lastly, I did one improvement to the BN brass name plate at the bow by filling in the lettering and attachment bolts.
Hope you enjoy.

IMG_2732.jpg

Have a great evening!

Well good evening all, I have a late evening post this time. I decided to fashion my version of the Bluenose's stand and am quite satisfied with the outcome. I started by cutting some walnut strips to overlay the kit supplied base (which had a less than desirable looking finish). Then sanding in to match the side bevels. Using the same paint scheme as on the BN itself painted the sloped edges midnight blue. Take a look.

View attachment 386187View attachment 386188

A year or so ago I had purchased some brass pedestals for my Vasa but never used them. So now the perfect opportunity is here and with a little woodwork and polishing here they are.

View attachment 386190View attachment 386191

With 2 coats of clear matte poly on top I couldn't be happier. Here she is sitting on her perch.

View attachment 386192

And lastly, I did one improvement to the BN brass name plate at the bow by filling in the lettering and attachment bolts.
Hope you enjoy.

View attachment 386193

Have a great evening!
Very elegant!

View attachment 386192

Hope you enjoy.

View attachment 386193

Have a great evening!
Everything that makes a complementary whole is an enrichment of the model. Well done, Daniel!
Regard, Peter

Hello Paul, I never connected the BN base as being a piece of repurposed flooring, but I believe you are correct. In my mind's eye the sleekness of the BN fishing/racing boat just went perfectly with its new base. The Vasa's olive wood cutting board base also fit the character of the Vasa. It would be horrible to swap them out.

Hello Paul, I never connected the BN base as being a piece of repurposed flooring, but I believe you are correct. In my mind's eye the sleekness of the BN fishing/racing boat just went perfectly with its new base. The Vasa's olive wood cutting board base also fit the character of the Vasa. It would be horrible to swap them out.
Oh my, NO! I would hate to see this new base on the Vasa. I was just admiring how this new one fits the BN perfectly!

A very nice and good looking solution for the kit-supplied base.
I've been wondering for a while now how to put her on display, but in all honesty I am not sure about the robustness of those pedestals. Any good, nice and stable?

I am not sure about the robustness of those pedestals. Any good, nice and stable?
Well Johan I think the pedestals are very stable, I would estimate the CG (of both base and boat) complete with mast and sails somewhere close to the keel or maybe on top of the keelson at mid ship. Now I would not want to display it outside for pictures on a windy day with sails up. I think most people would run the thru bolt all the way up into the keel and nut it off on top of the keel which would probably offer the greatest stability. I however did not do that; the pedestals are secured to the base as a standalone structure and the ship sits freely in the notch outs. I will provide a hidden wedge of sorts between the keel and notch in the pedestal which I believe will be sufficient.

View attachment 386192

Hope you enjoy.

View attachment 386193

Have a great evening!
Good evening Daniel. A fitting stand. Understated and elegant. Cheers Grant

Dear Daniel. Your build log is probably the one on which I had to do the most catching up on. I cannot believe that your Bluenose is already on her stand. And speaking of your stand and pedestals - I love the simplicity which is timelessly elegant. You have made a massive amount of progress during my absence. Looking at the pictures, I am hugely impressed by the cleanliness of the build and the elegance of the chosen color scheme. The old adage of "less is more" rings so very true in your case. I cannot wait to see you making a start on the deck fittings and ancillary equipment. You are onto something very special here, but, of course, after the VASA this was to be expected.

Good things happen to good people, my friend.

I love the simplicity which is timelessly elegant.
The old adage of "less is more" rings so very true in your case.
Dear Heinrich, thank you for your kind review. It is great to have you back watching over your flock of Bluenose builders. I believe I can speak for most everyone when I say we were all starting to experience some forms of Heinrich withdrawal and missing your naval history lessons that we have become so accustomed to.

Dear Heinrich, thank you for your kind review. It is great to have you back watching over your flock of Bluenose builders. I believe I can speak for most everyone when I say we were all starting to experience some forms of Heinrich withdrawal and missing your naval history lessons that we have become so accustomed to.
Thank you for the kind words, my friend. I must tell you though, that even if I build another ship, I will not do the history part again. This has simply been too much of an exhaustive exercise to repeat.

Back