The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good afternoon everyone. For those who celebrate Thanksgiving I hope you had a great one.
I finished sewing all 8 sails for my BN2. I must say I regret having posted my post #909 as I was not able to produce the look I was after in any consistent way. I could get good results for a few inches then the hem would go haywire leaving no practical way to recover thus destroying the look of the complete sail. The results while trying netted 2 redos of the Main Sail, 1 each Jib and Jib Topsail and one Jumbo. I also conducted several more test runs like the ones in my post#909 each with more or less the same results. So, at this point I resorted to the same method I used on my Vasa also the 1mm grommets have been deleted from my design. Below are the completed group of eight which I have every confidence will present well on the finished model.

View attachment 409559

I sure thank you all for joining in on this build.
So far your sails do look more than acceptable, at least a lot less puckering than what I see on my sails.
In my efforts to get some decent looking sails I made eight test sails; five topsails and three foresails, so I'm not surprised you did make more sails than strictly needed.
And now up to the next job: setting some sails!

Good afternoon everyone. For those who celebrate Thanksgiving I hope you had a great one.
I finished sewing all 8 sails for my BN2. I must say I regret having posted my post #909 as I was not able to produce the look I was after in any consistent way. I could get good results for a few inches then the hem would go haywire leaving no practical way to recover thus destroying the look of the complete sail. The results while trying netted 2 redos of the Main Sail, 1 each Jib and Jib Topsail and one Jumbo. I also conducted several more test runs like the ones in my post#909 each with more or less the same results. So, at this point I resorted to the same method I used on my Vasa also the 1mm grommets have been deleted from my design. Below are the completed group of eight which I have every confidence will present well on the finished model.

View attachment 409559

I sure thank you all for joining in on this build.
Good morning Daniel. I’m no sail guru (never made any before) however I take great interest in other guy’s processes as one day I will have to. Every time I see guys do it, I think no sails is a good option ROTF . You however have this down to a fine art. Cheers Grant

Good morning Daniel. I’m no sail guru (never made any before) however I take great interest in other guy’s processes as one day I will have to. Every time I see guys do it, I think no sails is a good option ROTF . You however have this down to a fine art. Cheers Grant
Thank you for your kind words, Grant. I am a little disappointed I could not achieve the final look I was after; my skill level was just not there at this point in time, and I am more interested in moving forward right now.

Good evening, everyone, I have set the main sail with about 50% of its control lines or running rigging. I used reef knots along the main boom and spiral wrapping along the main gaff. I decided to go ahead and place 1mm grommets along the main mast to attach to the white hoops, I think it works. I need to
rethread the rope at the aft end of the main boom, it just doesn't look right as is. I will not be using reef lines, just personal preference. Still have a good way to go but getting there slowly but surely.

IMG_3166.jpgIMG_3167.jpgIMG_3168.jpgIMG_3169.jpgIMG_3171.jpg

Thanks for watching, till next time, happy modeling.

Now that’s a great looking main sail you’ve gotten yourself; your grommets are looking good too. Quite honestly, I didn’t think they would turn out this well.
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason behind the dimensions of your mainsail being as they are; it looks as if the man leech (aft edge of main sail) has been put forward quite a bit? I am tempted to think about you’re readying her for winter fishing.

Last edited:
it looks as if the man leech (aft edge of main sail) has been put forward quite a bit?
You are correct Johan; I completely missed this detail. I can get away with it along the main boom but along the main gaff not so much. This will require some modification; my first thought is to shorten the main gaff in place which is doable if I exercise patients and caution. I can see I have to do something, or the main gaff will stick way out from the main topsail as well. Good catch my friend.

You are correct Johan; I completely missed this detail. I can get away with it along the main boom but along the main gaff not so much. This will require some modification; my first thought is to shorten the main gaff in place which is doable if I exercise patients and caution. I can see I have to do something, or the main gaff will stick way out from the main topsail as well. Good catch my friend.
Bugger, that's causing you a lot of work...
On my Bluenose the main clew is also a bit too much forward, while the peak is at the right position. I was led astray by mixing up YQ and MS drawings. Sick I decided to go for a "use-as-is" disposition.
When considering shortening the main gaff, you might want to check the geometry of the main topsail; see whether the overall picture still pleases you.

When considering shortening the main gaff, you might want to check the geometry of the main topsail
Yes sir did that and have made new dims for that sail as well. I may need to change some of the other sails as well but now I see how to catch possible errors before tying them into place. This is a situation I should have caught onto way before now, my assumptions of gaffs and booms fitting the sails because I could angle them to match the sails was very flawed.

Yes sir did that and have made new dims for that sail as well. I may need to change some of the other sails as well but now I see how to catch possible errors before tying them into place. This is a situation I should have caught onto way before now, my assumptions of gaffs and booms fitting the sails because I could angle them to match the sails was very flawed.
Since I didn't have any CAD-files, I abused the YQ-drawings and used pencil, ruler and old fashioned erasers to draw the sails on the drawings. Used the eraser very frequently, before being satisfied with the general arrangement and even then... I totally missed the main clew issue until it was too late and the fore topsail is also subpar and was discovered when it was too late.
Too late, because removing and remaking the sails would potentially cause quite some damage to other parts and I was not willing to go into a very complex redo.

As for angling booms and gaffs, those are only adjustable to a certain extent to accommodate some deviations in the sails; the angles the four sides of the main- and fore sail make, relative to one another is way more determining. The angle between luff, attached to the main mast, and the foot and head of the sail determine the final positions of boom and gaff, not the other way around. This is also true for the length of the leech, if the leech is too long, it's impossible to correct that by adjusting the gaff.

Main gaff redo in place finished. I removed 25mm of the gaff and reset the end fittings, this was actually much easier than I thought it would be.

IMG_3180.jpgIMG_3182.jpg

Next I dry fitted the main top sail and you can see it will need resizing.

IMG_3183.jpg

This is the template modifications that will go into my cad for a new printout and trace onto material.

IMG_3184.jpg

Tomorow I will redo the sail and install it. In a couple or three days I will post the results.
Thanks for watching.

PS I will dry fit the new template before making the sail.

Main gaff redo in place finished. I removed 25mm of the gaff and reset the end fittings, this was actually much easier than I thought it would be.

View attachment 411040View attachment 411041

View attachment 411042

This is the template modifications that will go into my cad for a new printout and trace onto material.

View attachment 411043

Tomorow I will redo the sail and install it. In a couple or three days I will post the results.
Thanks for watching.

Nice safe, Daniel! Thumbsup

View attachment 411040View attachment 411041

View attachment 411042

View attachment 411043

Thanks for watching.

My respect for your time-sensitive re-do's Daniel. It is a sensitive interplay between mast, boom, gaff, sail and rigging.
I have confidence that in the later overall picture you won’t miss the 25-gaff-mm’s.
Regards, Peter

Back