The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good afternoon, everyone, it has been a couple weeks since my last post and I only have a little progress to show. I've been more focused on the holidays and all the visiting and preparations that go with them. I am waiting to see how many sails will require a redo to obtain a better fit, so far just the main topsail featured in my last post is on that list. The fore topsail will fit just fine as is. Ok, the fore and main sail peak halyards are now in place and secured. The fore and mainsail throat halyards are in place and secured. I also set the fore boom end lift in place as well. At this point you will see I have begun the rat lines (ugh); my plan is to finish all rat lines before continuing on the sails. Check it out.

IMG_3209.jpgIMG_3210.jpgIMG_3211.jpgIMG_3212.jpgIMG_3213.jpgIMG_3214.jpg

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday experience, till next time happy modeling.

Good afternoon, everyone, it has been a couple weeks since my last post and I only have a little progress to show. I've been more focused on the holidays and all the visiting and preparations that go with them. I am waiting to see how many sails will require a redo to obtain a better fit, so far just the main topsail featured in my last post is on that list. The fore topsail will fit just fine as is. Ok, the fore and main sail peak halyards are now in place and secured. The fore and mainsail throat halyards are in place and secured. I also set the fore boom end lift in place as well.
Hey Dan, good to hear from you again.
Yeah, this time of year tends to keep us busy, one way or the other. Decorating the house, planning, shopping, preparing...

As far as redoing sails go, if you're not satisfied with what you see, it's redo-time. I think that, before setting any sail, I did a dry-fit on the drawings I made, before attempting to set them and even then some sore spots still emerged...
If I understood correctly, you first attach the booms and gaff to the mast, upon which the sails will be attached? And then using the sheets to tighten the sails?

The holiday season will at least give you some time to reflect on your next steps.

I wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year.

Good afternoon, everyone, it has been a couple weeks since my last post and I only have a little progress to show. I've been more focused on the holidays and all the visiting and preparations that go with them. I am waiting to see how many sails will require a redo to obtain a better fit, so far just the main topsail featured in my last post is on that list. The fore topsail will fit just fine as is. Ok, the fore and main sail peak halyards are now in place and secured. The fore and mainsail throat halyards are in place and secured. I also set the fore boom end lift in place as well. At this point you will see I have begun the rat lines (ugh); my plan is to finish all rat lines before continuing on the sails. Check it out.

View attachment 414281View attachment 414282View attachment 414283View attachment 414284View attachment 414285View attachment 414286

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday experience, till next time happy modeling.
Good to see your personal thoughts on the rigging, Daniel. And what Paul wrote, the ‘silver tone metalwork’ gives a neat appearance.
Regards, Peter

Hey Dan, good to hear from you again.
Yeah, this time of year tends to keep us busy, one way or the other. Decorating the house, planning, shopping, preparing...

As far as redoing sails go, if you're not satisfied with what you see, it's redo-time. I think that, before setting any sail, I did a dry-fit on the drawings I made, before attempting to set them and even then some sore spots still emerged...
If I understood correctly, you first attach the booms and gaff to the mast, upon which the sails will be attached? And then using the sheets to tighten the sails?

The holiday season will at least give you some time to reflect on your next steps.

I wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year.
Hey Johan, thank you for your response. I actually set the sails onto the booms and gaffs off ship then set the halyards in place and hoisted the sails by the gaffs rigging. Of course, this was done loosely and with intermediate or temporary supports. Using the boom tie downs actually made the sails quite stable in place so I could secure the luff to the mast rings. After that just a matter of tightening all the various ropes and secure them in place. At this point the main top sail is my only redo but before I do it, I will dry fit the remaining sails so as to perform all redo's at one time. Before any of that can happen, I need to set the rest of the standing rigging of which the remaining sails will attach to.

Good to see your personal thoughts on the rigging, Daniel. And what Paul wrote, the ‘silver tone metalwork’ gives a neat appearance.
Regards, Peter
Thank you, Peter. Once I started with the silver theme in the shrouds and all the hardware, I decided to incorporate it into the stitching in the sails as well. So far, my only regret is going with the white mast hoops, using a dark brown paper stock would have been much better, I think.

Thank you, Peter. Once I started with the silver theme in the shrouds and all the hardware, I decided to incorporate it into the stitching in the sails as well. So far, my only regret is going with the white mast hoops, using a dark brown paper stock would have been much better, I think.
Unfortunately I was too far ahead to implement your "silver" theme, otherwise I might have adopted your ideas.
The whitish mast hoops contrast nicely with the natural wood colors of the masts, so I am pretty content with how that worked out. Besides, with the masts stepped and shrouded, it would be a nightmare to replace the mast hoops.

I understand the feeling of regret over things I wished I would have done differently... For what it's worth I actually like the white hoops very much.

with the masts stepped and shrouded, it would be a nightmare to replace the mast hoops.
Ha! I actually toyed with the idea of replacing the hoops for a few seconds, thought about painting them as well. Then I came to my senses and thought I can certainly learn to live with this. I appreciate your thoughts on this Johan.

Ha! I actually toyed with the idea of replacing the hoops for a few seconds, thought about painting them as well. Then I came to my senses and thought I can certainly learn to live with this. I appreciate your thoughts on this Johan.
I considered both: other colored mast hoops and the "Daniel20" shrouds. Mind you, the shrouds were already on...
I don't mind doing re-do's but this would have been ridiculous.

View attachment 414281View attachment 414282View attachment 414283View attachment 414284View attachment 414285View attachment 414286

Good morning Daniel. Wow. Detail detail and more detail. So very good. I must admit, I was always a little doubtful as to the silver, brass, the 1mm grommets, the “heavier” sail etc however these have come together so impressively. Just brilliant. I’m also with Paul and like the white hoops. You are owning this BN. Cheers Grant

Good morning Daniel. Wow. Detail detail and more detail. So very good. I must admit, I was always a little doubtful as to the silver, brass, the 1mm grommets, the “heavier” sail etc however these have come together so impressively. Just brilliant. I’m also with Paul and like the white hoops. You are owning this BN. Cheers Grant
Thank you Grant.

Back