The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good afternoon all, just a quick update on the sails. I've set the Main and Fore Topsails along with the Jumbo sail located on the fore side bottom of the foremast. I still have two Jib Sails and a Fisherman Sail plus a whole lot more rigging. Hopefully the photos will show a little bit of method in the partial assembly views. Anyway, I'm progressing at a comfortable pace. Check it out.

View attachment 422307View attachment 422308View attachment 422309

Have a great weekend, and thanks for checking in.
It’s looking more and more impressive, Daniel. The sails have beautiful stitching.
Regards, Peter

Good afternoon all, just a quick update on the sails. I've set the Main and Fore Topsails along with the Jumbo sail located on the fore side bottom of the foremast. I still have two Jib Sails and a Fisherman Sail plus a whole lot more rigging. Hopefully the photos will show a little bit of method in the partial assembly views. Anyway, I'm progressing at a comfortable pace. Check it out.

View attachment 422307View attachment 422308View attachment 422309

Have a great weekend, and thanks for checking in.
Good morning. Wow Daniel she is transforming into a beautiful BN. So good. Cheers Grant

It’s looking more and more impressive, Daniel. The sails have beautiful stitching.
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter, I'm still undecided about the hoops that attach the Jib to the Forestay. The first set I had were too small and the ones you see in the photo are too big so I have some more experimenting to do with it.

The running rigging is giving me a challenge, but the effort will be worth it.
Once being able to distinguish between halliards, sheets, topping lifts, downhauls and tackles, some logic may be found...
Boy, who am I kidding; installing the running rigging is major task and accomplishment, but I'm more than sure you qualify.

My dear friend. In one observation - she is looking magnificent with what will be full deployed sails. @RDN1954 Johan has always maintained that Bluenose should be displayed under full sail and he certainly has a point. Also, I have to concur with @oldflyer John. After the VASA I thought that your rigging couldn't get any better, but now, I'm not so sure. I will not venture into direct comparisons (for that I simply love the VASA too much), but your rigging job on Bluenose is absolutely brilliant. I am so glad that you guys are all enjoying this kit so much.

My dear friend. In one observation - she is looking magnificent with what will be full deployed sails. @RDN1954 Johan has always maintained that Bluenose should be displayed under full sail and he certainly has a point. Also, I have to concur with @oldflyer John. After the VASA I thought that your rigging couldn't get any better, but now, I'm not so sure. I will not venture into direct comparisons (for that I simply love the VASA too much), but your rigging job on Bluenose is absolutely brilliant. I am so glad that you guys are all enjoying this kit so much.
Dear Heinrich,
it is so good to see your wise commentary once again on mine as well as others work. After the Vasa, I thought no other ship could come close to the rigging challenges that she gave me but now I see that was just immature thinking. The volume of rigging on the BN 2 is certainly a lot less but the challenges she
presents are just as daunting as before.

Dear Heinrich,
it is so good to see your wise commentary once again on mine as well as others work. After the Vasa, I thought no other ship could come close to the rigging challenges that she gave me but now I see that was just immature thinking. The volume of rigging on the BN 2 is certainly a lot less but the challenges she
presents are just as daunting as before.
Exactly, my friend and that is why I don't think it's fair to compare. They both have their own challenges and they both look absolutely wonderful!

Good morning all, I have a little progress update. All sails are now set in various stages of readiness. here is an overall look.

IMG_3260.jpg

This update focuses on the main sail and its rigging. After much study and various rigging redo's, I finally realized that pennant lines like pendants are made of steel cable and show up as gray and all the other bridals, lifts and downhauls are of the brown poly rope. Essentially, any line that needs to terminate at a belay pin or boom cleat should be poly rope. I think. Following @Peter Voogt's Bluenose post #2700 and the attached picture from Jenson's Saga, I came up with the following main backstay, port and starboard. There are two locations one can place the backstays, my position reflects a setting with ALL sails set. Otherwise, you can set them further forward. Pictured also are the main sail sheets and the main boom end lift.

IMG_3255.jpgIMG_3256.jpgIMG_3259.jpg

Next are better views showing the main sail downhaul, with the plan's version of the main boom For'd and After topping lifts. The kits version is incorrect, but I chose it anyway because of its simplicity.

IMG_3257.jpgIMG_3258.jpg

From here I will work way forward completing the sails as I go.
Hope you enjoy the look, and thanks for stopping by.

For most of the running rigging I followed the MS drawings, almost religiously. Jenson's Saga differs at certain points of the rigging, but I'm more than okay with that.
I like the overall overall picture of your mainsail setup, with the lifts, down hauls, lazy jacks and what not. You paint a very convincing picture of how she may have looked in her days.

(Steadily inching closer to the finish line.)

For most of the running rigging I followed the MS drawings, almost religiously. Jenson's Saga differs at certain points of the rigging, but I'm more than okay with that.
I like the overall overall picture of your mainsail setup, with the lifts, down hauls, lazy jacks and what not. You paint a very convincing picture of how she may have looked in her days.

(Steadily inching closer to the finish line.)
Thank you Johan, your comment is exactly what gives me the confidence to push forward.

Hi Daniel. She looks amazing my friend. What I find most interesting is that it is almost as if the fully deployed sails highlight the rigging hardware - contrary to what one would have thought. The level of realism that you have achieved is just wonderful!

By the way, I am still waiting for the first Bluenose builder to add the #2 to the mainsail harking back to her configuration when she raced the Elsie! :)

013.jpg

Back