The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good morning all, I have a little progress update. All sails are now set in various stages of readiness. here is an overall look.

View attachment 424957

This update focuses on the main sail and its rigging. After much study and various rigging redo's, I finally realized that pennant lines like pendants are made of steel cable and show up as gray and all the other bridals, lifts and downhauls are of the brown poly rope. Essentially, any line that needs to terminate at a belay pin or boom cleat should be poly rope. I think. Following @Peter Voogt's Bluenose post #2700 and the attached picture from Jenson's Saga, I came up with the following main backstay, port and starboard. There are two locations one can place the backstays, my position reflects a setting with ALL sails set. Otherwise, you can set them further forward. Pictured also are the main sail sheets and the main boom end lift.

View attachment 424958View attachment 424959View attachment 424960

Next are better views showing the main sail downhaul, with the plan's version of the main boom For'd and After topping lifts. The kits version is incorrect, but I chose it anyway because of its simplicity.

View attachment 424964View attachment 424965

From here I will work way forward completing the sails as I go.
Hope you enjoy the look, and thanks for stopping by.
She is more and more impressive, Daniel. The sails are all nicely set with all the running parts. Up to the final steps.
Ps: I feel honored that I could serve as an inspiration.
Regards, Peter

Hi Daniel. She looks amazing my friend. What I find most interesting is that it is almost as if the fully deployed sails highlight the rigging hardware - contrary to what one would have thought. The level of realism that you have achieved is just wonderful!

By the way, I am still waiting for the first Bluenose builder to add the #2 to the mainsail harking back to her configuration when she raced the Elsie! :)

View attachment 425028
Hey Heinrich, thank you for your compliment and interesting observation of the racing number 2. If I could figure a way to present her under heavy wind in a tight tacking maneuver, I would figure a way to get that number up there. However, with her two fishing dories on board and the oil drums I plan on fabricating, she's more into fishing than racing at this point. Hmm??

That brings us to the next interesting observation. I may be wrong (and if so, please correct me), but I don't think anyone has built the boat in her racing configuration.

That brings us to the next interesting observation. I may be wrong (and if so, please correct me), but I don't think anyone has built the boat in her racing configuration.
I am not aware of one Heinrich, but I probably have not reviewed every build of her either. I have read in various places they remove the windlass and do away with the rat lines to help reduce weight.

By the way, I am still waiting for the first Bluenose builder to add the #2 to the mainsail harking back to her configuration when she raced the Elsie! :)
Alternatively, you could also consider finishing your own Bluenose, ask very nicely Anna to make you some sails and also ask her to add #2 to the main sail.

PS1 Eagerly anticipating an update of your Bluenose build.
PS2 My Bluenose will definitely not see this particular mod; she's more equipped- and rigged for her fishing career rather than her racing career. (Plus I don't like numbers in her sails...)

Any Bluenose build to the YQ-drawings will not show a racing configuration. As soon as you display the dories or the rat lines in the shrouds, your model shows the fishing configuration, at least, according to notes on the MS-drawings.

@RDN1954

Hi Johan. My Bluenose box has unfortunately played a donor role to Bluenose builders who broke parts or made a boo-boo somewhere in their builds. It was far easier and quicker for me to dispatch the parts from my own supply rather than wait on YuanQing to do so.

I would need a new kit if I want to go down that path which seems highly unlikely at this stage.

@RDN1954

Hi Johan. My Bluenose box has unfortunately played a donor role to Bluenose builders who broke parts or made a boo-boo somewhere in their builds. It was far easier and quicker for me to dispatch the parts from my own supply rather than wait on YuanQing to do so.

I would need a new kit if I want to go down that path which seems highly unlikely at this stage.
Only Heinrich…..

Would be interesting to have two versions exhibited together.
The fishing and also the naked racing version......
Your model is looking great - very good work on the sails and main rigging - Bravo

Would be interesting to have two versions exhibited together.
The fishing and also the naked racing version......
From normal viewing distance it would be very hard to tell apart both versions. Different anchors, no winch engine, one or no dories, no rat lines...

To build a racing version, I would think a plank on bulkhead hull would make more sense. I know this type is available in today's market.
For me the issue would be not being satisfied with just a plain POB, having build a customized POF; I would immediately start doing some mods: focsle, fishholds, aft cabin, steering house, lights, just to name a few.

Back