The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well, another milestone reached! The rigging is now completed with the exception of a few downhauls on the jib sails and some certain clew lines which at this point I will omit. I do include the downhauls for the main and fore gaffs. I have included all the Jibs, jumbo, jib topsail halyards, sheets and boom lifts. The following pictures I'll call semi formal for now, I still have final deck pieces to scratch up and place. My next post should be a formal finish build with several close in highlights.

Check it out.

For now,View attachment 431247View attachment 431248View attachment 431249View attachment 431250View attachment 431251

View attachment 431252

So now I need to make a boatload of rope coils and the all-important navigation lights, and an attempt at oil drums and equipment/ tool storage boxes, we are almost there.
Thanks for looking in.
Good morning Daniel. OH MY HAT..! That is just a beauty. Cheers Grant

Well, another milestone reached! The rigging is now completed with the exception of a few downhauls on the jib sails and some certain clew lines which at this point I will omit. I do include the downhauls for the main and fore gaffs. I have included all the Jibs, jumbo, jib topsail halyards, sheets and boom lifts. The following pictures I'll call semi formal for now, I still have final deck pieces to scratch up and place. My next post should be a formal finish build with several close in highlights.

Check it out.

For now,View attachment 431247View attachment 431248View attachment 431249View attachment 431250View attachment 431251

View attachment 431252

So now I need to make a boatload of rope coils and the all-important navigation lights, and an attempt at oil drums and equipment/ tool storage boxes, we are almost there.
Thanks for looking in.
She is looking great, Daniel. Waiting for the final steps …….
Regards, Peter

A beauty, for sure! Adding sails does wonders to her appearance and the fisherman's stay sail doesn't seem to be out of proportion to me.
(I also see you found an alternative location for the dories.)

Good morning, all, I wanted to give the barrel rack/ toolbox its own segment in this build it was a fun and challenging scratch up. I spent considerable time looking at the old reference pictures which I will show next.

Bluenose Port Afterdeck.jpgDrum Build.jpgNext Drums.jpeg

I could be wrong, but I think these drums are made of wood and are lashed down with cable. I noticed they have square hatches and there are 6 of them placed end to end in pares with a gap between each pair. So, the following is my interpretation using just three barrels with two hatches on each barrel. I made careful measurements of the existing deck area allowing me to come up with dimensions for the actual part then drew it up on my CAD program from which I used as a pattern for the side pieces. I cut the barrels from a 10mm dia. dowel. Check it out.

IMG_3282.jpgIMG_3283.jpgIMG_3284.jpgIMG_3287.jpgIMG_3288.jpg

Thanks for checking in,
Have a great day!

Excellent result! And thanks for the old photos. I recently started following your topic because I myself am interested in a similar schooner, namely the Sealing Schooners, which were used for seal hunting. Unfortunately, there is little information about them.

Good morning, all, I wanted to give the barrel rack/ toolbox its own segment in this build it was a fun and challenging scratch up. I spent considerable time looking at the old reference pictures which I will show next.

View attachment 431493View attachment 431494View attachment 431495

I could be wrong, but I think these drums are made of wood and are lashed down with cable. I noticed they have square hatches and there are 6 of them placed end to end in pares with a gap between each pair. So, the following is my interpretation using just three barrels with two hatches on each barrel. I made careful measurements of the existing deck area allowing me to come up with dimensions for the actual part then drew it up on my CAD program from which I used as a pattern for the side pieces. I cut the barrels from a 10mm dia. dowel. Check it out.

View attachment 431496View attachment 431497View attachment 431498View attachment 431499View attachment 431500

Thanks for checking in,
Have a great day!
A nice addition, those barrels and boxes with lids, Daniel. Perhaps some small post between the barrels, now the ropes are hanging loose in the air.
Regards, Peter

Excellent result! And thanks for the old photos. I recently started following your topic because I myself am interested in a similar schooner, namely the Sealing Schooners, which were used for seal hunting. Unfortunately, there is little information about them.
Welcome aboard Dave. I have never heard about sealing schooners.

Welcome aboard Dave. I have never heard about sealing schooners.
These hunting schooners were used from 1880 to 1911. You may have read the American writer Jack London (he is one of my favorite writers) and remember his story "The Sea Wolf". So, the plot there revolves around Captain Wolf Larsen, the owner of the hunting schooner "Ghost", which is heading to the Bering Sea to hunt fur seals.

fmib-48375-types-of-sealing-schooners-victoria-harbor-1894-f37c9d-640.jpeg

fmib-48374-types-of-sealing-schooners-victoria-harbor-1894-62a944-640.jpeg

fmib-48361-portion-of-the-canadian-sealing-fleet-victoria-harbor-1894-dae877-640.jpeg
These photographs were allegedly taken in 1895.

These hunting schooners were used from 1880 to 1911. You may have read the American writer Jack London (he is one of my favorite writers) and remember his story "The Sea Wolf". So, the plot there revolves around Captain Wolf Larsen, the owner of the hunting schooner "Ghost", which is heading to the Bering Sea to hunt fur seals.

View attachment 431527

View attachment 431528

View attachment 431529
These photographs were allegedly taken in 1895.
Great photos Dave. You have just inspired me to read Jack London's The Sea Wolf. Thank you. I know how treacherous the Bearing Sea can be from watching an American show Deadliest Catch about modern day crab fisherman.

View attachment 431493View attachment 431494View attachment 431495

View attachment 431496View attachment 431497View attachment 431498View attachment 431499View attachment 431500

Thanks for checking in,
Have a great day!
Good morning Daniel. Another fine bit of detail added to your BN. Very worthwhile. Cheers Grant

Back