The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good morning, everyone, after 12 months and 13 days I have a finished Bluenose Schooner I am proud to present for your review. Unfortunately, you will not see any rope hanks, I made up a dozen of them, but they all look really bad, for some reason I have never been able to produce decent ones. For the cable holding down the barrels I did add hold down hooks and the last item I installed was the ships wheel. For those of you currently working on this model, the wheel is very brittle so be cautious when handling it. So here it is.

IMG_3290.jpgIMG_3291.jpgIMG_3292.jpgIMG_3293.jpgIMG_3294.jpgIMG_3295.jpgIMG_3296.jpgIMG_3298.jpgIMG_3300.jpgIMG_3301.jpg

I thank everyone who joined me in building this ship, it would have been difficult beyond reason if not for your help. A special thanks to Johan @RDN1954 for sending me the sail templates which without I probably would have invented some never before heard curse words. And to Peter @Peter Voogt who I was able to gather so much wonderful technical data regarding all the pulleys and hardware needed to properly set the sails on. None of this type of information is available on the kit plans as they make no provisions for sails. Also, a special thank you to Heinrich @Heinrich who made this kit available to us and who moderates this branch of the forum, he makes this build possible through his connections with Yuanqing Models. I will submit these photos to Donnie through a PM and see if he will post it in the forum's gallery.

Until next time and as always Happy Modeling!

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

Good morning, everyone, after 12 months and 13 days I have a finished Bluenose Schooner I am proud to present for your review. Unfortunately, you will not see any rope hanks, I made up a dozen of them, but they all look really bad, for some reason I have never been able to produce decent ones. For the cable holding down the barrels I did add hold down hooks and the last item I installed was the ships wheel. For those of you currently working on this model, the wheel is very brittle so be cautious when handling it. So here it is.

View attachment 431668View attachment 431669View attachment 431670View attachment 431671View attachment 431672View attachment 431673View attachment 431674View attachment 431675View attachment 431676View attachment 431677

I thank everyone who joined me in building this ship, it would have been difficult beyond reason if not for your help. A special thanks to Johan @RDN1954 for sending me the sail templates which without I probably would have invented some never before heard curse words. And to Peter @Peter Voogt who I was able to gather so much wonderful technical data regarding all the pulleys and hardware needed to properly set the sails on. None of this type of information is available on the kit plans as they make no provisions for sails. Also, a special thank you to Heinrich @Heinrich who made this kit available to us and who moderates this branch of the forum, he makes this build possible through his connections with Yuanqing Models. I will submit these photos to Donnie through a PM and see if he will post it in the forum's gallery.

View attachment 431678

View attachment 431679
Congratulations with the finishing of your Bluenose, Daniel. She is looking great with a lot of fine details and full rigged sails. You made a unique example of this Legend. I feel honored that I could serve as an inspiration, even with the last ad-on’s like the ‘cable hold down hooks’ between the barrels.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
And another beautiful example of a completed Bluenose model, congratulations on reaching the finish line with this unique, customized model.
One of the advantages of having a group build is that quite a few people are willing to help you out in various ways; having received quite a bit of help from my friends, it makes sense to extend that help to others.

The sails do set her apart. It's definitely not easy; even having Peter's, @Peter Voogt, templates at hand, I still had to draw (and make) my own sails, so I know from experience the difficulties you might have encountered.

Now, after all sails having been set, she deserves a center stage spot.

Again, congratulations with this beautiful model!

View attachment 431668View attachment 431669View attachment 431670View attachment 431671View attachment 431672View attachment 431673View attachment 431674View attachment 431675View attachment 431676View attachment 431677

View attachment 431678

View attachment 431679
Good afternoon Daniel. A standing ovation emoji (if there was one) for your Bluenose !!! You build classic beauties Daniel, and this BN is one to be shown with pride. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Daniel. A standing ovation emoji (if there was one) for your Bluenose !!! You build classic beauties Daniel, and this BN is one to be shown with pride. Cheers Grant
Thank you Grant, The Cazador is on my short list as a next project and once again it sits on a mountain top of some of the most skilled builders (such as yourself) on this forum.

View attachment 431678

View attachment 431679
Daniel, congratulations on the completion of construction. Wow, it turns out a whole year has already passed. Time flies. The model turned out very beautiful. I'm glad that with each sizing your modeling skills improve and move to a new level. I hope it will continue like this. By the way, what's next in your plans?

Daniel, congratulations on the completion of construction. Wow, it turns out a whole year has already passed. Time flies. The model turned out very beautiful. I'm glad that with each sizing your modeling skills improve and move to a new level. I hope it will continue like this. By the way, what's next in your plans?
Thank you, Sasha. At this time, I have not decided on my next project but have a couple ships on my short list.

Dear Daniel. With your conclusion of the VASA and subsequent announcement that you would build the Bluenose, I knew we were in for a special treat. I just have to stop here for a moment and say that the trilogy of VASAs (yours, @PeterG 's and @dockattner Paul's) remain three of my all-time favorite models on SOS.

Now back to the Bluenose. When looking at your model, the lines "Feel her bow rise free of Mother Sea in a sunburst cloud of spray" immediately come to mind. Your model embodies the very heartbeat that Zhdan talks about, it is almost as if you can feel the hull tremors resonating through the hull structure so typical of a thoroughbred racing yacht being pushed to the limits.

You have done yourself proud, Sir!

Dear Heinrich, it is such an honor to be on among your all-time favorite builds.

I appreciate your eloquent word picture; it just humbles me, and I am grateful for the opportunities, the means, and the talents the Lord has seen fit to give me to be able to work among all of the wonderful people on this forum. I am going to enjoy a short break with a cleaned-up shipyard while I decide what to build next.
In the meantime, I will continue to monitor those builds that have caught my attention such as your new Pandora.

A great work of art on this ship, I wouldn't worry about not having hanks of rope being visible.

A detail you can add latter when you master the ropes!
Any chance of having the sail plans posted in group files?
Thanks Kurt, you have a great idea with the sail plans, i,ll look into it. As Johan @RDN1954 has pointed out, certain modifications would probably be required per each builder, but this set could certainly serve as a basis or starting point.

View attachment 431678

View attachment 431679
Quelles belles photos d'un bien joli bateau: une réussite votre goelette !
Votre construction est un des exemples à suivre et je m'en inspire beaucoup....bien plus réel que les plans fournis !
Tout simplement Bravo !
Bien à Vous, Dom

Back