The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Daniel. You are making great progress with the frames. When it comes to Pear Wood, I am in dyed in the wool Tung Oil fan, BUT I cannot emphasize @Dean62 Dean's advice enough. Whatever oil you use, just make sure that you have finished ALL gluing in that section BEFORE applying the oil!

Hi Daniel. You are making great progress with the frames. When it comes to Pear Wood, I am in dyed in the wool Tung Oil fan, BUT I cannot emphasize @Dean62 Dean's advice enough. Whatever oil you use, just make sure that you have finished ALL gluing in that section BEFORE applying the oil!
Yes, thanks for the advice Heinrich. I shall pay close attention to the critical path here. I will have to try some tinted Danish oil on a scrap piece as well. I remember your commentaries on Tung Oil from your Sampan. Would one coat of it be sufficient?

Yes, thanks for the advice Heinrich. I shall pay close attention to the critical path here. I will have to try some tinted Danish oil on a scrap piece as well. I remember your commentaries on Tung Oil from your Sampan. Would one coat of it be sufficient?
I doubt whether one coat will be sufficient. The first coat gets applied in a diluted format with mineral turpentine, so the saturation of the first coat is very high. The wood just drinks it in without too much of a visible effect. What I can do is to apply Tung Oil to one of my finished frames and show you what it looks like - but that will only happen on the weekend, if that's ok.

I doubt whether one coat will be sufficient. The first coat gets applied in a diluted format with mineral turpentine, so the saturation of the first coat is very high. The wood just drinks it in without too much of a visible effect. What I can do is to apply Tung Oil to one of my finished frames and show you what it looks like - but that will only happen on the weekend, if that's ok.
Thank you for the offer, Heinrich, I really don't intend to use Tung Oil so it would not be necessary to use it on one of your frames. In this case applying multiple coats to the 52 frames of the Bluenose becomes problematic for me. If it were a solid flat area such as a planked hull would be a different story. I will end up using something where one coat, two max will be all that is required.

Thank you for the offer, Heinrich, I really don't intend to use Tung Oil so it would not be necessary to use it on one of your frames. In this case applying multiple coats to the 52 frames of the Bluenose becomes problematic for me. If it were a solid flat area such as a planked hull would be a different story. I will end up using something where one coat, two max will be all that is required.
While I can't really say how this might apply to this thread but I'll throw it in anyway. For years my go-to method of dealing with unpainted wood in models has been WATCO Danish Oil tinted as I choose with small dabs of tubed artist oil colors. Black, ochre, browns, whatevers. A teaspoon of the WATCO and a touch of the oil paint goop well blended and applied by brush.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I always say oil is for furniture and clear coat is best for models. I say this because wood is permeable, and it soaks up the oil, and usually takes 2 -7 days to cure. Clear coat seals the wood and closes the pores. I apply one coat, sand with steel wool and apply a final coat. And it cures within 1 day. Oil usually requires many coats until the wood is saturated. In addition some oils attract dust, and it sticks to the oiled surface, whereas clear coat the dust wipes off or can be blown off.
Once again oil looks great on wood, but has its drawbacks. ;)

Last edited:
While I can't really say how this might apply to this thread but I'll throw it in anyway. For years my go-to method of dealing with unpainted wood in models has been WATCO Danish Oil tinted as I choose with small dabs of tubed artist oil colors. Black, ochre, browns, whatevers. A teaspoon of the WATCO and a touch of the oil paint goop well blended and applied by brush.
Hello Alf, I was just researching Danish Oil online and have decided to get some and experiment with it. It says it dries hard. All of these wood treatment oils appear to be either Tung or Linseed oils mixed with polymers and or colorants similar to stains or even clear.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I always say oil is for furniture and clear coat is best for models. I say this because wood is permeable, and it soaks up the oil, but will dry out in time unless sealed. Clear coat seals the wood and closes the pores. I apply one coat, sand with steel wool and apply a final coat. Oil usually requires many coats until the wood is saturated and then needs to be reapplied in time or the wood dries out again. In addition oils typically attract dust and it sticks to the oiled surface, whereas clear coat the dust wipes off or can be blown off.
I hear what you're saying Dean, can a polyurethane topcoat be applied over an oil-based surface coating after the surface has cured for a couple weeks?

I should clarify that there are two types of oils, drying and non drying. Non drying oils will stay oily and attract dust. The good news is that Tung oil, Linseed oil and Danish oil are drying oils, and will cure over time. Danish oil is a combination of drying oil and varnish, which is typically 1/3 varnish and 2/3 oil. Once a drying oil is FULLY CURED, then you can apply a lacquer or polyurethane clear coat on top. Hope that helps. ;)

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I always say oil is for furniture and clear coat is best for models. I say this because wood is permeable, and it soaks up the oil, and usually takes 2 -7 days to cure. Clear coat seals the wood and closes the pores. I apply one coat, sand with steel wool and apply a final coat. And it cures within 1 day. Oil usually requires many coats until the wood is saturated. In addition some oils attract dust, and it sticks to the oiled surface, whereas clear coat the dust wipes off or can be blown off.
While I do agree with the opinion that oil may give amazing visual results, I also agree with you that oil is for furniture and the clear coat finish for models.
Having said that, to everyone its own. ;)

While I do agree with the opinion that oil may give amazing visual results, I also agree with you that oil is for furniture and the clear coat finish for models.
Having said that, to everyone its own. ;)
Agreed Johan! I understand why people like oil, but I personally prefer clear coat, as it is easier to work with. I am like electricity most of the time, as I prefer to take the path of least resistance! :p

Good morning fellow modelers, I have a short weekend update. Below you can see the first 14 ribs plus one towards the stern for setting up intermittent dry fits. These ribs are ready for their final sanding with 320 grit paper. This is sort of an assembly line process where I'll get another 15 or so ready and bring them to this stage as well.

View attachment 359624

Here is a close up showing my solution to placing the faux treenails holding rib sections together. I drilled a 0.8mm hole through with my Dremel drill press then filled the holes with a neutral wood filler. I do like the way most everyone else uses toothpicks, however this method works best for me.

View attachment 359625

Next up is a test piece looking at different surface finishes. So far just regular linseed oil is my favorite. I am looking to preserve the contrast between the tree nails and the frames.

View attachment 359626

Not being any sort of paint or staining expert, I am open to suggestions. There may be some other topcoats to add??

Thanks for checking in and am looking forward to any feedback you may have. As always happy modeling.
Good evening Daniel. Ahh you are making progress with those frames. I am definitely going to give the filler tree-nailing a go. The toothpick method may work on larger scale but I found it inconsistent on my Xebec decking. Yours look awesome. I like the linseed oil option . Cheers Grant

Good evening Daniel. Ahh you are making progress with those frames. I am definitely going to give the filler tree-nailing a go. The toothpick method may work on larger scale but I found it inconsistent on my Xebec decking. Yours look awesome. I like the linseed oil option . Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant, Ha! now I'm seriously considering just a polyurethane coating if I can find some that's just darkened a little, say like an Oak shade.

Back