Titanic 1/350 MiniCraft Kit build

Welcome aboard SOS, TitanicSCO! Looking forward to your build. If you need help, please let us know.

I have received my decking from ScaleDecks. I sealed them with Testor Dullcote on both sides. I hope that eliminates the expansion while gluing as described in the instructions for the deck material. Scale Decks recommends Gorilla wood glue but I have seen people recommending Gorilla Acrylic Hobby glue also. I am wondering what the pros and cons are.
I just got my Scale Decks too. I have used Gorilla glue on my Constitution Scale Decks, with excellent results.Have you started fitting your Titanic decks yet? I know it's the Connie, but in the Connie album I managed to load in here, you can see the Scale Decks that were lain down with the Gorilla Wood Glue. That stuff works!

Last edited:
I painted the Titanic hull with gloss enamel. It seems to cover better than the flat black (just my opinion). Then I sprayed with Testor's dull coat.

Does anyone have any ideas for removing the gold plating from the Titanic mounting base? The Connie has two studs you can drill through to use brass pedestals if you wish. The Titanic has a rather thin keel for that and ugly gold pedestal that comes with the Titanic kit. Sanding might not be a good idea finish wise.

I see that a lot of people ditch the kit stand and make their own. I plan to go to Lowe's and look for some hardware that would serve as the pedestals - something like the base to a towel rack? Something brass or nickel

I am currently working on windows and window frames. I have cut out most of the kit frames and increased the size of the openings to fit the photo etched frames. I have removed a few frames to use to test fit the openings.
I used Model Master Window Maker to simulate the glass. I am happy with the results so far. The rest I plan to add the "glass" when in place. I primed and painted the window frames with Testor's gloss lt. brown. It says light brown but looks pretty dark to me.

promenade window openings.JPGwindow with glass.JPGwindow maker solution.JPGphotoetch windows painted.JPG

wow! I just ordered the pe from Tom's. Do you prime the pe? If so, while it is still on the sprues?
I primed and painted while still on the sprues. I didn't use to prime anything, now I try to always use primer. It's supposed to make the paint adhere better. It does seem that my finishes are more durable and scratch resistant. I will touch up any brass that shows after removing from sprues with a paint brush.

Looks great. I didn't put the stripe on mine as I couldn't figure out how to mask over the raised rivets. Now I wish I had tried harder. Yes, the decal stripe looks like nothing but a bunch of aggravation! I used Gators Grip glue and a lot of clamps for the decks. So far they have stayed put.
Micro sol and micro set might help.

I primed and painted while still on the sprues. I didn't use to prime anything, now I try to always use primer. It's supposed to make the paint adhere better. It does seem that my finishes are more durable and scratch resistant. I will touch up any brass that shows after removing from sprues with a paint brush.
Priming is important. I never bothered with priming before doing the Constitution, but began with that. I am priming everything on the Titanic. What do you think of using blackening agents on the brass pe?

I got a couple of the Scale Decks under my belt. I was a little apprehensive but they went down very easy. I had scraped the raised decking lines off and roughed up the surface with coarse grit sandpaper. Gluing to a flat surface seemed a much better idea than gluing over those ridges. I did an adhesion test comparing decking glued over ridges vs the scraped/sanded surface. The deck was noticeably better attached with the scraped flat surface. Not scientific, but my personal experience.

sos scale decks post.JPG

I painted the glue to the plastic then placed the wood decking on. I pressed down with fingers and smoothed with a scrap piece of plastic. No clamping required. On my first attempt I painted the glue to the back of the Scale Decking thinking that would be easier than trying to paint on the complicated design of the plastic. That turned out not to be necessary as the excess glue was easily removed from the surrounding areas with a damp Q-tip.

I have started placing PE window frames on the Promenade Deck walls. Tedious and nerve racking. Most of the openings had to be expanded. The ones on the angle side of the bay windows had to be made smaller. Much easier to make a hole larger! I attached the PE with Elmer's white glue. I have had good luck with that in the past. I have never had any success with CA glue for PE. Maybe I am doing it wrong - don't know

sos-window-post.JPG

Back