Tony’s Blandford build log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ok thanks guys. I’ll try it. The black was just rubbing right off. I was letting it soak for many minutes at a time. I should have used the lead foil I have, job would have been done with no stress of blackening problems. I can see how the totally clean surface would take the blackening agent better yes.

Well, I have problems w the brass black too and it seems that Doc is right as I can say that I am not following that process at all.
Honestly, there isn't a strict process. You will have to experiment. Blackening materials (not just brass) utilizing the 'Brass Black' solution is nothing more than a chemical reaction between the part\s and BB. Few things to remember: absolutely clean (no grease, dust, dirt) surface before submerging into Brass Black solution. Vinegar as the acid works well as a cleaning solution.
The second is the concentration of the solution itself. How many parts of water are added to BB is also experimental. Brass is an alloy and has a different percentage of copper, zink. per stock. Historically, we found that some brass materials simply dissolve while the blackening process, while others don't turn black at all. You will need the patience to experiment. Good luck!

Jim is right... you have to experiment a bit. What is true is that the brass needs to be clean, the Brass Black concentration needs to be diluted with water and the exposure time limited. Darken with repeated applications, rather than an hour in the bath! LOL!

Jim is right... you have to experiment a bit. What is true is that the brass needs to be clean, the Brass Black concentration needs to be diluted with water and the exposure time limited. Darken with repeated applications, rather than an hour in the bath! LOL!
I had only briefly thought about diluting the brass black but I have only been using it for a few seconds until the solution drops were turning blue and then halt the process with some running water into the prescription or other small cap top. Upon removing I would use a cloth to dry and rub off the surface coating leaving the brass darkened. I'll have to try the dilution process as it makes sense if a shade of black is desired. Live and Learn with SoS. Thanks, Rich (PT-2)

upon removing I would use a cloth to dry and rub off the surface coating leaving the brass darkened. I'll have to try the dilution process as it makes sense if a shade of black is desired. Live and Learn with SoS. Thanks, Rich (PT-2)
Hello Rich, before drying and rubbing, I suggest to well rinse with cold water, Then leave it drying. Only a complete dry of parts, using felt lightly rub to give the blue steel effect as Dave described in his post,

Hello Rich, before drying and rubbing, I suggest to well rinse with cold water, Then leave it drying. Only a complete dry of parts, using felt lightly rub to give the blue steel effect as Dave described in his post,
You are right, I did not explain myself well about the rinsing. Rich

Lower deck gratings. Not perfect but the uppers will be better.
Don't stress over "not perfect" as nothing is; in the Japanese craft philosophy and skills as I recall, at least one imperfection was included acknowledging our human limitations and respect for higher beings. Just a consideration. Rich (PT-2)

Back