USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Pear - 1:48 - by Uwe

I checked the joints of the second frame and it is better - not good, but better

on the top the second one
IMG_3902.JPG

and a closer look
IMG_3904.JPG IMG_3903.JPG IMG_3905.JPG

Yesterday I spent 2 hours for preparing the third frame - and I tried even more sanding away the char - the real problem here is the type of the joint with these flat scarf joints. You have to be very careful in sanding, only so much on every part, that they still fit together. A normal butt joint would be much easier to prepare.

oxfordhb-9780199336005-graphic214-full.jpg

To be honest, with 2 hours work per frame, I could also cut them scratched with my scroll saw - :oops:

Maybe the manufacturer should start to combine in their kits laser cut parts and also cnc-cut parts (for elements where laser char is a pain)

Hi, Uwek!
Several years ago I've built this model. The kit was not very detailed, but the result looks not so bad)))
For those who interested. One of the photos from Koreets (Roman) was an award: a diploma and silver medal for his section model presented in 2015 when he participated in the Russian Championship. Bravo!!
Uwe, sorry to higjack your thread.

Sure it will be better!!!
One advise meanwhile - try to avoid using the photoetched parts from the kit - make yours parts using wire etc
Sure it will be better!!!
One advise meanwhile - try to avoid using the photoetched parts from the kit - make yours parts using wire etc
Koreets
Excellent looking model. Can you please advise what you used for the trenails?

Thanks

John

For those who interested. One of the photos from Koreets (Roman) was an award: a diploma and silver medal for his section model presented in 2015 when he participated in the Russian Championship. Bravo!!
Uwe, sorry to higjack your thread.
No problem, I am happy, that there is some talks in this topic....
Because I realized the medal, I mentioned, that the necessary level for me is high now - ;)
@Koreets ,
thanks for the tipp with the photoetched parts - I will see, what can be done

Four frames finished and dry-fitted in the jig - upside down
Frame number five was today glued and is drying - all together the section has nine double frames

IMG_39351.jpg

IMG_39361.jpg

Sorry, but it in moment a little bit boring....... but in some days the framing will be finished

Yesterday I showed some excerpts of the kit drawings, but I forgot to show the cross section of the model - not shown is the internal construction (add-on of the kit)

IMG_39251.jpg

And in the following the excerpts of the Bonhomme Richard drawings from the Boudriot monographie, in which I marked the part of the section with red lines
Sorry, that the photos have a different scale / size.......

IMG_392311.jpg

IMG_392611.jpg

IMG_391711.jpg

And the cross-section - It is obvious, that several details were changed or adopted - f.e. the hanging knees, thickness of the inner planking.
I will see, how much I will adjust the kit in order to get closer to the planset "version"........

IMG_39161.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued ......

Wait...I have noticed that one of the frames laser char wasn't cleaned. Did you change the game plan and will sand once all 9 frames assembled or?
Hi Jim,
I think, that I will sand them outside of the jig, minimum 90% of the char.
The first three I made it only on some parts, in order to check the joints...... Many thanks for your comment

Today I want to show you a small but important detail of this kit, which is the first time I saw this in section models.
If you look at the section models of other suppliers, like Victory or USS Constitution, I think the frames have over the length of the section everytime the same form.
But in reality, off course the hull form is following the lines of the ship, so every frame has a slightly different form.

Here the excerpts of the Boudriot drawings showing the lines of the Bonhomme Richard
IMG_39461.jpg

IMG_39471.jpg

Here you see once more, which frames and which section is part of the Section model
IMG_392611.jpg

Unfortunately in the drawing set of the kit, there is only one cross section drawing, so we have to calculate by ourself the difference and mark it on the drawing in order to have guidance for the frame elements.

Here you can see the small difference of the width in the jig, with the frame 9 which has the smallest width
IMG_39421.jpg

To make it more clear here the side of jig and the cross section drawing of frame 1, which is very close to the midship-section "M" (see Boudriot drawing)
IMG_39371.jpg IMG_39381.jpg

and now we take a look at frame Nr 9
IMG_39391.jpg IMG_39401.jpg IMG_39411.jpg

Here a short notice on the sketch copy IMG_39431.jpg
The width of the of R1 is appr. 18,6cm - R9 only 18,1 cm so 5mm less

For the frame Nr.6 with I made yesterday evening we hav appr. 18,3 cm which is marked with pencil lines -> The frame elements of frame Nr.6 have to fit this marks
IMG_39441.jpg
you can see, that the elements are not following any more the cross section sketch

Visible also very much already at the floor timber, when you compare the form with the drawing
IMG_39451.jpg

IMG_39431.jpg IMG_39441.jpg IMG_39451.jpg

To be continued.......

Back