USS Constitution by Model Shipways 1:76 scale.

Below are some photos of the Ship Boats.
I carefully glued the parts together, except for the bottom. The absence of the bottom simplifies sanding the wood (better accessibility).
You really have to be very careful when sanding. The wood is very soft and very thin... To avoid sanding through the wood, I did not finish the inside and outside to the extreme... I finished and filled the imperfections with white putty. Then sand very finely until you obtain a smooth finish. And then I applied primer. By priming you emphasize the errors that still exist and therefore sand and finely sand again. I decided to equip the ship boats with a 1/64" thin wooden strip that I used for the Spar Deck covering....But this is for next week. ;)

In the meantime I start studying the rigging. After all, I want to apply the Blocks first. But this is another story. After all, the included plan is completely insufficient to successfully complete the rigging. That's why I'm going to base myself largely on the book "Rigging period Ship Models" by Leenarth Peterson...

View attachment 436842

View attachment 436843

View attachment 436844

View attachment 436845

View attachment 436846

View attachment 436847
Hi Marc
That's a great book l used it a lot with my previous models.
Proxxon make a great range of tools for the moddelmaker but the MF70 might be a bit on the small side, I would go for a larger machine. Also allow for the extra accessories like a vice, cutters, clamps and a dividing head (if required) it adds a lot to the purchase price.
The life boats looked difficult when I saw them in the instructions but you've made them look easy.

Tony

Hi Marc
Proxxon make a great range of tools for the moddelmaker but the MF70 might be a bit on the small side, I would go for a larger machine. Also allow for the extra accessories like a vice, cutters, clamps and a dividing head (if required) it adds a lot to the purchase price.
The life boats looked difficult when I saw them in the instructions but you've made them look easy.

Tony
Hi Tony,

Thx for the advise: I will continue to look for the milling device.

The boats are not difficult to make at all if:

My advise:

1-Glue the parts together with the exception of the bottom.
2-In any case, do not use a milling tool! Before you realize it you are through the very thin and soft wood! I used 80 and 150 sandpaper.
3-Be sure not to sand too much otherwise... use some Putty to remove the imperfections. But they also mention "outside planking" in the plan... which is what I'm going to do, so small imperfections will be eliminated anyway...
4- Glue the bottom and smoothly sand the whole...

It took me 6 hours to assemble the 4 ship boats... ;)

Hi Tony,

definitely out of my reach.... Sick A great machine...a dream that will remain a dream.
I looked at the proxxon MF70 but the price here in Belgium is +-285 euros...
Quite expensive, but so far the only solution that I can buy ready-made...
Even more costly here in the UK, about £350. I bought mine from Germany, before the EU was turned upside down by Brexit, & have never regretted it. I also made a mill using a Makita trim router, & plans I found on the net. I use this one mainly for metal. To make hexagonal parts, I use a Proxxon dividing head, & for square sections I drill axially a hole through a square piece of strip wood, to fit the mast in, sometimes offset as required, & finish in the usual way.

Hi Marc

Tony
By converting the MF70 to take E11 collets, gives it a slightly wider range.

Even more costly here in the UK, about £350. I bought mine from Germany, before the EU was turned upside down by Brexit, & have never regretted it. I also made a mill using a Makita trim router, & plans I found on the net. I use this one mainly for metal. To make hexagonal parts, I use a Proxxon dividing head, & for square sections I drill axially a hole through a square piece of strip wood, to fit the mast in, sometimes offset as required, & finish in the usual way.
I've been using my MF70 making 'special' blocks, violin, shoe, sheet, & clew. It saves the fingers a bit, that is until I cut my left forefinger at the knuckle, against the #11 blade of the scalpel I was holding in my RH! Nice clean cut , no pain 24 hours on! Just some hand finishing to the blox today.

Back