USS Constitution from Scientific Models

My first deadeye/chainplate assembly. Unfortunately, chainplates won’t necessarily be lined up exactly with the shrouds. Gun ports are in the way. I probably should have been more careful in my gun port placement instead of following directions. You’d think I’d have learned that lesson by now. I can’t pull off the ports without destroying them. I guess my friend will have to live with it. He probably won’t know the difference. But I will. image.jpg

Okay, I’ve started working again. I don’t know how I let some of y‘all talk me into going with real deadeyes and lanyards on a ship at this scale. Trying to keep the shrouds taut and trying to level the deadeyes has become mission impossible—without Tom Cruse. On one side, I have three shrouds sagging. I fixed one and am ready to start on the others. The deadeyes still won’t be even, but I’m not undoing all my shrouds again. It took me too long to get them in this shape. At least the other side looks a little better. I think I’ve found the best way to fasten the lower deadeyes. I wrap the deadeyes with thin black wire, stick the wire through the channels, and curl the end of the wire up to the channel. Then I tie a line to the chain plate and thread it through the loop of wire I created under the channel. The loop keeps the deadeye fro riding up. It’s kind of a mess now, but I’m hoping it will look a little better when I’m finished.image.jpg

The cast deadeyes are simple and even, but lack any detail or visual appeal to the eye, or in your case the builder.

I know many who are not shipwrights or have knowledge of the old ship ways may never notice the fake deadeyes, but its hard to accept their use when you can do an equal or better job doing it correctly, even if it takes weeks longer.

As always the work is looking grand.

Thanks, Kurt. I needed the encouragement. I’ve found a new needle threader, by the way. It Österreich through the tiniest holes. View attachment 376136View attachment 376137
Good morning Vic. Hope you are doing well. I’m with Kurt, the re the fake/cast deadeyes. Kudos Vic, I don’t know how you even find the holes at this scale to fit the lanyards let alone tie or finish them off.o_O.- respect. Cheers Grant

Back