Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Or really bad teeth. Between the braces, spring headgear, and retainers, my “friends “ referred to me as Iron Tooth for five years.
The dentist was actually skilled, but if my teeth were any worse, I would have been accused of being British. :D
1644734162378.png
(I am SO about to be banned... my apologies to my English friends... it was just too damned tempting.)

My longest treatment was 9 years 4 months.

Patient only had three appointments though: put the braces on, tighten braces 8 weeks later, remove braces about 9 years later o_O .

Me: What happened to you?
Patient: I forgot I had braces...
Me: Redface
I never forgot! Braces tightened…eat soup for a week. Week 2 eat normal again. Braces tightened…repeat above! :p

Hello Dear Friends,

It has been about three weeks since my last post, yet somehow my build log grew by 5 pages in that same time period ROTF! I enjoy this forum very much and I'm glad you all do as well!

But now it's back to work. In the interim I have been working on the standing rigging associated with the lower mast sections. It is stunning to me how long this has taken. Part of the issue, of course, is my personal pace of work (glacial), as well as my available hobby time - but I would also suggest that 'proper' rigging just takes time - lots of time.

Now, as to how 'proper' my rigging is you will all have to judge for yourselves. If it is lacking it is not for lack of effort. There have been more do-overs than I care to think about - often with similar results (which frankly has been maddening).

Let's begin with the big picture:

IMG_7851.JPG

Foremast shrouds and tackles:

IMG_7853.JPG

The forward futtock stave and futtock shrouds:

IMG_7858.JPG

Next up, main mast shrouds and tackles:

IMG_7859.JPG

And the futtock stave and shrouds on the main:

IMG_7862.JPG

Finally, mizzen shrouds and tackle:

IMG_7863.JPG

The mizzen had an odd number of lines, so I needed to make a 'spliced' shroud:

IMG_7843.JPG

Now taking a closer look at some of the details:

IMG_7867.JPG

IMG_7868.JPG

IMG_7870.JPG

IMG_7872.JPG

IMG_7874.JPG

IMG_7877.JPG

IMG_7885.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

IMG_7900.JPG

I wasn't entirely certain what to do with the tackle falls so I chose to wrap them around the seizing/hook and then ran the rope over the bulwark and onto the deck. I have seen too many solutions to conclude there is a correct way to do this (at least not an agreed-upon correct way to do this):

IMG_7888.JPG

IMG_7891.JPG

Anyway, that's where I'm at right now.

I am grateful for your continued interest in my work and feel blessed that you stop by now and again to see what I'm up to.

Last edited:
Back