Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Not being an expert at rigging or even a novice all I can say is WOW. What a beautiful piece of workmanship doc.
You can tighten my braces anytime :)

Paul, I am almost speechless! This is amazing work! This being your first ship, I think it's safe to say you are a perfectionist...lol :p
I truly believe this will become a masterpiece, it may take you 4 years or more...but it will be one very special ship!
Congrats on your work standards and learning curve! I have to pinch myself, and say...this is the same Paul who was afraid to plank the hull of his ship! ;)

Hello Paul, every time I drop by your build to see what you are up to I am just astounded at your craftsmanship. Your Vasa has an amazing amount of detail and from the looks of it your rigging now continues your high standard.

Paul, the rigging is really superb and aspirational. If I can come anywhere close to what you are doing, I will be very happy. One thing that struck me, and I have to ask; I noticed that along the sheer steps, you have some of the hancing-piece carvings installed, but not behind the shrouds. It seems harder to install them later, no?

Thank you, everyone, for your kind assessment of this new stage of my build. Your encouragement means the world to me. As I mentioned in my post, I was surprised by how slow rigging progresses, and I was struggling with questions that ran along the line of is this worth it? While I'm certain that question will bubble up again (and again, and again) - at least for today I'm feeling like it was all worth the effort. You made that happen, and I am grateful!

Last edited:
Paul, the rigging is really superb and aspirational. If I can come anywhere close to what you are doing, I will be very happy. One thing that struck me, and I have to ask; I noticed that along the sheer steps, you have some of the hancing-piece carvings installed, but not behind the shrouds. It seems harder to install them later, no?
Indeed, Marc, it would have been good to install those decorative bits before the shrouds. Sadly, the kit was missing a number of these mer-men castings and I did not realize it until I was installing them about a month ago.

DeAgostini completely ignored my requests for help (to be fair, they are no longer distributing this kit as far as I can tell). But the 'new' Artesania Latina Vasa is basically the DeAgostini kit re-packaged and to their credit they were willing to help me out (in exchange for money). I have now ordered replacement castings for the missing parts but that was a month ago (oddly, they are coming from China) so they will have to be painted and installed after the shrouds. It should not present much of a problem, however.

What worries me, though, is the fact that you noticed they were missing. What else do you see that you are too polite (kind - gentle - forgiving) to NOT mention?!?

Paul, you have done an outstanding job with the standing rigging, just beautiful to look at! Your rigging is also such a complement to your hull work and combined, make for a true masterpiece. Wow, I'm looking forward to the running rigging and most of all thank you for sharing this beautiful build!

The stays are looking perfect Paul! Great work. Love the violin blocks as well. Keep following your work! Thumbsup

Back