Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Read up again. Missed the update a while back.

Looking to your post #3124 the outside pictures. Almost unbelievable this is your first build. You all can see that patience will give the best result.

About starting the rigging of the sails. The picture of John #3188 gives you the shivers looking to that. But al I can tell, don't be afraid, it is easy, ones you find out that every time the ropes of each sail are repeating on every mast and sail with slight differences. When you find out it is for you easy to look to a painting or picture of a ship and you see what each rope is. It doesn't look any more like a spiderweb of a drunken spider.

"...About starting the rigging of the sails. The picture of John #3188 gives you the shivers looking to that...".
I still didn't understand, what did he do with his rigging on that photo ? Looks like bomb explosion ... :)))
it's simple, he attached al the rigging without fixing it to the belaying points. That comes later. :)

You all can see that patience will give the best result.
That's precisely it, Stephan. The builds that we all admire most are builds that have taken YEARS to accomplish. Of course, that needs to held up against other conflicting goals - like building more than one ship in one's lifetime! Without imposing any limits, it seems like my current project will take about three years???

Hello friends,

After a short break I have returned to the shipyard. First up was installing the rings for the gaskets. This turned out to be fickle work that I will be able to do more efficiently in the future now that I know what the task requires.

I lost the scale a bit on these guys, but I made them as small as I could... As always, the work of the masters is beyond my reach.

Lots and lots of rings (I installed rings on every yardarm - only showing a sampling here):

IMG_8345.JPG

A closer look:

IMG_8346.JPG

And closer still:

IMG_8351.JPG

Next up I will be doing as much work on the sails and yards as I can before installing them on the ship.

I have really enjoyed watching the progress on your individual builds during my short break - you're a talented bunch!

Hello friends,

After a short break I have returned to the shipyard. First up was installing the rings for the gaskets. This turned out to be fickle work that I will be able to do more efficiently in the future now that I know what the task requires.

I lost the scale a bit on these guys, but I made them as small as I could... As always, the work of the masters is beyond my reach.

Lots and lots of rings (I installed rings on every yardarm - only showing a sampling here):

View attachment 318957

A closer look:

View attachment 318958

And closer still:

View attachment 318959

Next up I will be doing as much work on the sails and yards as I can before installing them on the ship.

I have really enjoyed watching the progress on your individual builds during my short break - you're a talented bunch!
Beautiful work Paul,
And you say; As always, the work of the masters is beyond my reach. I think you are being a bit harsh on your own ability there.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Very nice work, Paul - it becomes even more impressive when the size is taken into account! Thumbsup

Good day Paul,
They looks nice and quite good in scale as well ! :)
Unsertain What did You mean, when say .... installed on every yards?...
as far as I could understood, they need to be installed on the main yards ( F and M) only , but not on the topsails and topgallants sails...
There(topsails anf topgallant) are no more than a couple of them probably need to be fitted?
Here they are not requered so many as for the main sails... :rolleyes:, due to these sails not store furled on the yard, but furled in vertical to the top / top mast....

Good day Paul,
They looks nice and quite good in scale as well ! :)
Unsertain What did You mean, when say .... installed on every yards?...
as far as I could understood, they need to be installed on the main yards ( F and M) only , but not on the topsails and topgallants sails...
There(topsails anf topgallant) are no more than a couple of them probably need to be fitted?
Here they are not requered so many as for the main sails... :rolleyes:, due to these sails not store furled on the yard, but furled in vertical to the top / top mast....
Kirilll4 is talking about farthelling, Paul. Example on a sprit topsail below.

1658107264450.png

From other side, most of the VdV pictures show them on the top/ topgallants...and sails furled entire to the yards... but, vessels on that pictures mostly from second half of the 17th...
shape of the sails changed... top and top gallants yards became longer compare to Vasa rigs...
there could be difference when to show gaskets on the topyards and probably -not to show them...
Ab Hoving in his pinass reconstruction, shown gaskets rings on the lower/ main yards but non on the top - topgallants...Screenshot_20220717-135836_Drive.jpg
And sails plan(geometrical shape of the sails) on his pinass reconstruction is very similar to those of the Vasa sail...Screenshot_20220717-141347_Office.jpg

Last edited:
Back