Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

That looks like fun! I can only imagine managing the sail through a jibe on a windy day at sea!
The key is brailing up first, so that the yard has as little windage as possible. It is easier to do when tacking than wearing, the wind helps a little. It seems like a big weight swinging around dangerously, but there are a lot of lines going to the yard (halliard, topping lift, sheet, brails) and if the sail is rigged properly, the halliard picks up the weight near the center of gravity, which makes the whole thing surprisingly easy to handle. On Kalmar Nyckel only two people are needed to pass the heel of the yard around the mast, one on each side, while two other people handle the tacks. The trickiest part is getting the tacks off and on the heel of the yard cleanly. They are set up on blocks with hooks on the strops, which hook into a bridle on the end of the yard, but they are hard to reach for most of the travel of the yard.

Fred

Hej Peter
Many thanks Dr Hocker. You have explained the mizzen tack process perfectly. I had forgotten about the use of the brails which would effectively furl the sail and contain it while the tack was being performed. Obviously this would make the process a bit simpler.

Once a crew were experienced and practiced in the manoeuvre, as you have demonstrated, it evidently could be done effectively and relatively quickly, but it doesn’t take away from the difficulty and danger associated with swinging such a large piece of equipment onboard a moving platform.

Although too, as you say, the Billing kit may not be as accurate as it could be, but to their credit, they are close (as opposed to the 25% error in mizzen yard length as Paul has pointed out in his kit). To also give them the benefit of the doubt, when initially designed, the kit had to work with only the available research. You and your team at the Museum have done such a marvellous job of filling in many of these gaps in our knowledge in the interim that such dimensions now could be better defined.

Many thanks,

Best Regards,

PeterG
Hej Peter, I once looked at the existing wooden kits to evaluate them for a friend. The Billing kit was the most accurate in most respects, and its rig is very close to the reconstruction the museum published in 1980. As I recall, Corel was the least accurate, with the Mantua kit somewhere in the middle. I am very disappointed to hear about the yard length discrepancy on the d'Agostini kit, they had up to date drawings to work with, so I wonder what happened.

Hej Peter

Hej Peter, I once looked at the existing wooden kits to evaluate them for a friend. The Billing kit was the most accurate in most respects, and its rig is very close to the reconstruction the museum published in 1980. As I recall, Corel was the least accurate, with the Mantua kit somewhere in the middle. I am very disappointed to hear about the yard length discrepancy on the d'Agostini kit, they had up to date drawings to work with, so I wonder what happened.
That makes a lot of sense. As a VASA novice, but someone who knows a little about Dutch ships, and who are following the VASA builds closely, the Billings kit is my favorite. As to D'Agostini who had the most current drawings to work with - theory doesn't always pan out in practice.

Probably shouldn't be using Paul's Build Log for this discussion between third parties - It makes Paul look like he has a REALLY, REALLY ridiculously LARGE log!!

I believe Fred, your summation of the kits and their accuracy was correct when I reviewed the various other build logs (from both SOS and MSW). A change came about with the introduction of the De Agostini kit (now Artesania Latina) in about 2018 (if my memory serves correctly) based largely on your work. Evident errors with this latest kit are however being found, (and I am hopeful they will be corrected). Overall, I am happy with my Billings Boat's kit (although their Instructions Manual leaves something to be critical of).

As I have said before, you tend to get what you pay for in terms of kit manuals/instructions, materials and applied research (resulting in ship accuracy). The availability of that research, which for kit's such as Corel, have been sold for many years without manufacturer change or update as the research is made available. This, in my view is where the manufacturer's fall down. Changing their kits would be costly, especially if it includes hull design re-machining. At the end of the day, the manufacturing of model kits is a business, and without a profit motive, they will not have the incentive to update their models or change to better materials.

Regards,

PeterG

Ooh! I love it when smart people visit my build log!

Just for fun I went to my model just now and was able to replicate the maneuver precisely as described (not using rigging - just my hands). The one thing I noticed is that the mizzen top forces the yard quite far from the mast. The parrel would have to be very slack.

View attachment 323962
They can slacken the parrel off quite a bit, but yes, switching sides of the mast with the lateen yard is a real pain on these older ships.

Probably shouldn't be using Paul's Build Log for this discussion between third parties - It makes Paul look like he has a REALLY, REALLY ridiculously LARGE log!!

I believe Fred, your summation of the kits and their accuracy was correct when I reviewed the various other build logs (from both SOS and MSW). A change came about with the introduction of the De Agostini kit (now Artesania Latina) in about 2018 (if my memory serves correctly) based largely on your work. Evident errors with this latest kit are however being found, (and I am hopeful they will be corrected). Overall, I am happy with my Billings Boat's kit (although their Instructions Manual leaves something to be critical of).

As I have said before, you tend to get what you pay for in terms of kit manuals/instructions, materials and applied research (resulting in ship accuracy). The availability of that research, which for kit's such as Corel, have been sold for many years without manufacturer change or update as the research is made available. This, in my view is where the manufacturer's fall down. Changing their kits would be costly, especially if it includes hull design re-machining. At the end of the day, the manufacturing of model kits is a business, and without a profit motive, they will not have the incentive to update their models or change to better materials.

Regards,

PeterG
Paul doesn't mind having friends over for a party in his blog. PopcornBeer If he ever wants to write a book about his ship model exploits, all he has to do is go here and click PRINT. :D Who else brought beer?

Paul I do feel your pain and have been through setbacks myself.Time away from the model helps you and the model(from ending up in the trash) but also to reflect on the positives you have accomplished by far;

Probably one of the best models from a first time builder I have seen ANYWHERE

You have got to within 85% of the finish line with excellent results, you are on the home straight.

I would have probably made the same mistake, my knowledge of hull construction is far greater than that of masting and rigging.

You have made great ground already without burning out, you are due a break anyway, the model will still be there

Paul I do feel your pain and have been through setbacks myself.Time away from the model helps you and the model(from ending up in the trash) but also to reflect on the positives you have accomplished by far;

Probably one of the best models from a first time builder I have seen ANYWHERE

You have got to within 85% of the finish line with excellent results, you are on the home straight.

I would have probably made the same mistake, my knowledge of hull construction is far greater than that of masting and rigging.

You have made great ground already without burning out, you are due a break anyway, the model will still be there
Paul's just used to dealing out the pain instead of being on the receiving end... he's a dentist.
He'll live.

Back