Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

I've seen a lot of stocks made of two pieces, Paul. Nails or bolts would hold the two pieces together and bands of rope or metal were also used. I'm by no means an expert--just sharing some things I've seen. Was the Vasa different in that regard?
I'm sure you're right Vic. I could always add a faux joint between the two halves. I don't have woodworking tools and my stock of pear comes in limited dimensions. If I can't shape it with a rotary tool, file it, or sand it, I'm out of luck!

I don't have woodworking tools and my stock of pear comes in limited dimensions. If I can't shape it with a rotary tool, file it, or sand it, I'm out of luck!
Sounds like it is a time to invest in tools...Christmas is coming so make a wish, ;) but make sure someone else in your household knows your wish, just in case Santa forgets :)

Really beautiful work Paul. The chamfer on the edges along the length of the pear wood stock is so even and well done. I assume this is from the rotary tool (Dremel ?), and this is really hard to do with a rotary tool to get the amount of chamfer so even along the edge.

How are you doing the inlaid bolts/tree nails (inlaid toothpicks or something else)? They are very neatly done (probably a bit too neat for the actual ship), but beautifully produced and finished. Love the oiling too. It brings out the colour well.

PeterG

Really beautiful work Paul. The chamfer on the edges along the length of the pear wood stock is so even and well done. I assume this is from the rotary tool (Dremel ?), and this is really hard to do with a rotary tool to get the amount of chamfer so even along the edge.

How are you doing the inlaid bolts/tree nails (inlaid toothpicks or something else)? They are very neatly done (probably a bit too neat for the actual ship), but beautifully produced and finished. Love the oiling too. It brings out the colour well.

PeterG
Thank you for your kind words, Peter! I used a file to create the chamfer. It turned out better than I was expecting - the pear is really nice to work with. As for the tree nails, I used birch toothpicks. I had some difficulty controlling my drilling when I was adding these to the lower portion of my hull and ended up using a burn-in technique I learned from @Maarten for the majority of my hull detailing. I wanted to give it another try just so I could add this skill to my toolbelt - that's why you see them on the anchor stock. I was being pretty careful ;) .

Following your previous comments regarding research etc:

The research of build logs can take a long time. To me too, it is frustrating that there are a number of model ship build log forums (eg SOS, Model Ship World and
modelshipbuilder etc). My favourite build logs for the Vasa (apart from your own of course), include:

Nazgul
Doug Buchanan
Mar3kl
Karleop
Clayton
Ulises
Fmodajr
Md1400cs
Marktiediens
Martyn

Plus the numerous other links to Vasa pages (including the museum).

You also mentioned a character flaw with the problem of going back and fixing something - This is simply the age old art of learning by our mistakes or a changed perspective (usually from research we have done after the build of an item). The Vasa kits too do apparently vary significantly. In the various build logs of earlier days (especially Nazgul and Mar3kl - see above) they talk a lot about the Corel model, hull shape and errors. Since these logs (about 2013-2015), we have seen newer Vasa kits released by DeAgostini (ie yours), plus Artesania Latina. Each has its advantages and disadvantages relating to design/ease of build/materials supplied and the all important instructions. Obviously compromises are made for ease of building these intricate models. Its only through research (as you spoke of), that we can add detail and make our models built from kits, more accurate.

Keep up the great work.

PeterG

Hey, Paul. Here is what I found. You might already have one. The drawing courtesy of National Maritime Museums of Sweden

View attachment 235646
Thanks, Jim! I do have this image. In fact, I used it to establish the 'shape' and 'size' of my anchor stock. What I built is within several mm of this drawing adjusted for scale. The following is from the Vasa Museum. This drawing helped me identify the 'bevel' PeterG observed:

Screenshot 2021-05-23 16.07.38.png

This ship-building hobby is fun. Sorry I didn't know about it 30 years ago ( @Gennaro ).

I'm sure you're right Vic. I could always add a faux joint between the two halves. I don't have woodworking tools and my stock of pear comes in limited dimensions. If I can't shape it with a rotary tool, file it, or sand it, I'm out of luck!
It’s a pretty wood, though. I love your attention to detail. I understand what you’re saying about tools. Way back when I was navigating airplanes with celestial navigation, we had no inkling of the future tools they use today like inertial navigation systems and GPS. We couldn’t even use a calculator on the plane. The old saying was, “Measure it with a micrometer, Mark it with a grease pencil, and cut it with a blunt axe!”

Following your previous comments regarding research etc:

The research of build logs can take a long time. To me too, it is frustrating that there are a number of model ship build log forums (eg SOS, Model Ship World and
modelshipbuilder etc). My favourite build logs for the Vasa (apart from your own of course), include:

Nazgul
Doug Buchanan
Mar3kl
Karleop
Clayton
Ulises
Fmodajr
Md1400cs
Marktiediens
Martyn

Plus the numerous other links to Vasa pages (including the museum).

You also mentioned a character flaw with the problem of going back and fixing something - This is simply the age old art of learning by our mistakes or a changed perspective (usually from research we have done after the build of an item). The Vasa kits too do apparently vary significantly. In the various build logs of earlier days (especially Nazgul and Mar3kl - see above) they talk a lot about the Corel model, hull shape and errors. Since these logs (about 2013-2015), we have seen newer Vasa kits released by DeAgostini (ie yours), plus Artesania Latina. Each has its advantages and disadvantages relating to design/ease of build/materials supplied and the all important instructions. Obviously compromises are made for ease of building these intricate models. Its only through research (as you spoke of), that we can add detail and make our models built from kits, more accurate.

Keep up the great work.

PeterG
Peter,

Thank you very much for sharing all those links. I was aware of all but one of them. You have provided a valuable resource for future builders of this ship who stumble across my build log and survive reading it to page 48 (how long will this go on!?!).

Of course the one build log that you omitted which is a MUST READ is yours: PeterG

Onward!

Dear Younger Me,

Do not build the bulwarks according to the kit instructions. If you do they will be completely wrong and you won't be able to fix it without ripping off everything above the weather deck. Make up your mind to build the ship according to the museum photos on Day 1 rather than Day 60. Do not simply ooh and ahh at the best of the Vasa build logs admiringly while thinking to yourself, "I could never do that." Resolve to "do that" from the get-go. You know you're an obsessive compulsive perfectionist so stop pretending that you're not.

Oh, by the way, you're allergic to CA. Get a **blinkin** gas mask filter thing and wear it.

Affectionately,
Older Me

Dear Younger Me,

Do not build the bulwarks according to the kit instructions. If you do they will be completely wrong and you won't be able to fix it without ripping off everything above the weather deck. Make up your mind to build the ship according to the museum photos on Day 1 rather than Day 60. Do not simply ooh and ahh at the best of the Vasa build logs admiringly while thinking to yourself, "I could never do that." Resolve to "do that" from the get-go. You know you're an obsessive compulsive perfectionist so stop pretending that you're not.

Oh, by the way, you're allergic to CA. Get a **blinkin** gas mask filter thing and wear it.

Affectionately,
Older Me
Not only that but every time you get in a hurry to pick up temp pinning nails and set them before your glue sets they are ALWAYS in the reverse upside down take
too long to pick up position!!!

IMG_1009.jpg

Не только это, но и каждый раз, когда вы спешите подобрать временные гвозди и закрепить их до того, как клей застынет, они ВСЕГДА перевернуты вверх ногами.
слишком долго, чтобы занять позицию !!!

View attachment 235705
Даниэль, привет. Вы можете использовать это. Это также гель, состоящий только из цианоакрилата. И у него более длительное время затвердевания. Это даже позволяет вам разместить деталь на месте.72306_big (1).jpg

Dear Younger Me,

Affectionately,
Older Me
Nice non-imaginary friend you got over there.:)

Dear Younger Me,

Affectionately,
Older Me
It's occured to me best way to build a kit is to buy 2 just use the first one as a trial run to work out where all the pitfalls are. Maybe quicker in the long run. LOL

It's occured to me best way to build a kit is to buy 2 just use the first one as a trial run to work out where all the pitfalls are. Maybe quicker in the long run. LOL
What if you have spare parts left over AFTER building the kit? That's certainly not good if you are repairing your car. I have spare parts, including a set of stern lanterns from Corel's La Couronne if anyone is interested.

Back