VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

I agree with Brian, Daniel - it is very high-quality work. The robands look like they belong there, while the stitching is so clean and precise. However, the biggest impression left on me was the scale - everything looks to be perfectly in scale - and with rigging - that is one huge achievement! Nope - you can protest as much as you want, rigging is your forte! :D Thumbsup
Thank you, Heinrich, I am glad you commented on the scale looking correct. While I certainly understand the math involved working at scale, I rarely bother to do the math and instead just look at the visual relationships because I would need a microscope to work with at a true scale. So, I am truly delighted that you like the scale that I thought and guessed would look appropriate.

I rarely bother to do the math and instead just look at the visual relationships because I would need a microscope to work with at a true scale.

You hit the nail squarely on the head, Daniel! To heck with mathematics - if it looks right, it is right! That is exactly how I have been building my ships!

Good afternoon,
Continuing on with the mizzen sails and spars rigging. The finished lateen sail showing the roband connections followed by a tight in shot of the robands.

View attachment 319741View attachment 319742

Next up is my method of channeling the buntlines with a loop at the bottom of the sails.

View attachment 319743

And finally, for today preassembly of the mizzen topsail, also showing the bottom spar which the topsail attaches to but itself will not support another lower sail because there resides the lateen sail which the topsail cannot attach to. It took me a moment to realize that last fact.

View attachment 319745

My head is just swimming in all the ways the sails and rigging can come together. For some reason installation of the parrel beads is the next challenge I am anticipating being a challenge. Hope you all enjoy.
Good evening Daniel- you owned it! Just brilliant. Thumbsup Thumbsup . Cheers Grant

Good morning,
After seeing Paul's @dockattner post on his lateen sail I wanted to post a picture of my recently completed lateen sail which seems to be in the correct proportions and reasonably close to the 1:1 plan drawing. I have not had much time recently to devote to my Vasa, I'm doing some contract drawing work for my former employers' company owner. The yard itself is the second longest next to the main sail yard. If this appears out of scale to its relative position, please comment.

IMG_2105.jpg

Good morning,
After seeing Paul's @dockattner post on his lateen sail I wanted to post a picture of my recently completed lateen sail which seems to be in the correct proportions and reasonably close to the 1:1 plan drawing. I have not had much time recently to devote to my Vasa, I'm doing some contract drawing work for my former employers' company owner. The yard itself is the second longest next to the main sail yard. If this appears out of scale to its relative position, please comment.

View attachment 322903
Length of that yard looks about right to my eye Daniel.

Dear Daniel. To me it is interesting that on the surface the Billings Vasa does not seem to be a particularly popular choice, compared to the De Agostini's and Corels of this world. And yet, in a number of aspects, it seems to be the most accurate.

Dear Daniel. To me it is interesting that on the surface the Billings Vasa does not seem to be a particularly popular choice, compared to the De Agostini's and Corels of this world. And yet, in a number of aspects, it seems to be the most accurate.
At least in terms of the length of the yard for the lateen sail!

In reality the DeAg (now Artesania Latina) version is the most accurate physically (they actually used drawings provided by the museum) but the rigging has been greatly simplified. The Billings rigging plan is far better than DeAg and Corel.

Of course, the magic Daniel brings to this build makes all the difference!

You know Heinrich I've read differing opinions on this subject of accuracy. In terms of accuracy, I believe Paul @dockattner has achieved the most accurate version as he follows the Vasa model in the museum which to me is the gold standard. I can clearly see why the Billings version is not the most popular, I would call it the most difficult model because of lack of direction in the instructions even though there is a very nice 1:1 set of plans to follow. The devil is in the details so to speak, and details are what is severely lacking. Having said that I would not trade off the experience for anything.

Back