VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Stefan, good afternoon.
Great job! It seemed to me that the deadeyes on the wall of the shrouds were the same diameter as those below on the shrouds. They should be a little smaller. Therefore, the wall-shroud turnbuckles look thin in the large holes of the deadeyes
Thanks Alexander, they look the same, but they are smaller then they on the shrouds below. The deadeyes overall are chosen to big, they should all be a little smaller due to the scale. The ropes are in perfect scale, the deadeyes wheren't my choice. These where already attached to the ship when I started to finish the build from Jan (who gave this project to me to finish)

Welcome back Folks on my build log of the Prins Willem. Due to a temporally handicap on my hands I'm forced to search some other work I can achieve. Let me tell you I can work on the rigging of the Prins Willem a few hours a day.

I'm finished the topmast shrouds on the main. 1 side needed to be done and it was a long time ago I finished the other side. Now both sides are done. Here a few pictures of the work. I use rope that I 'm making on my rope walk from Serafill Lock-yarn. 120/2 The ratlines have a thickness of max 0,2 mm. in diameter.

View attachment 399445View attachment 399447View attachment 399448View attachment 399449View attachment 399450View attachment 399451

The next thing I'm planning are the main topmast backstay and the topmast stay, Also I have to make a few seizing trucks on the shrouds and shrouds cleats to belay the ropes of the running rigging and side tackles. I'll finish this first before I go a step further on the fore mast.
So stay tuned.

@Herman I got a picture for you of the planking on the bow below the wales.

View attachment 399446
Good looking ratlines, Stephan. Good to see you can do ‘something’.
Regard, Peter

Welcome back Folks on my build log of the Prins Willem. Due to a temporally handicap on my hands I'm forced to search some other work I can achieve. Let me tell you I can work on the rigging of the Prins Willem a few hours a day.

I'm finished the topmast shrouds on the main. 1 side needed to be done and it was a long time ago I finished the other side. Now both sides are done. Here a few pictures of the work. I use rope that I 'm making on my rope walk from Serafill Lock-yarn. 120/2 The ratlines have a thickness of max 0,2 mm. in diameter.

View attachment 399445View attachment 399447View attachment 399448View attachment 399449View attachment 399450View attachment 399451

The next thing I'm planning are the main topmast backstay and the topmast stay, Also I have to make a few seizing trucks on the shrouds and shrouds cleats to belay the ropes of the running rigging and side tackles. I'll finish this first before I go a step further on the fore mast.
So stay tuned.

@Herman I got a picture for you of the planking on the bow below the wales.

View attachment 399446
Hi Steef66, I ask, are the diameters of these rigging by design ?I noticed that the various rigging are not garnished ( if I see correctly). Thanks for Your feedback.Frank

IMG_3874.JPG

Ratlines done properly! Awesome!
The ratlines look awesome. I love how carefully you chose the scale of the line. Looks perfect!
Wonderful Stephan! I'm so happy you can continue to work - and what wonderful work you have done. I think rigging is a real strength for you!
Good looking ratlines, Stephan. Good to see you can do ‘something’.
Regard, Peter
Thanks guys, nice compliments.

Hi Steef66, I ask, are the diameters of these rigging by design ?I noticed that the various rigging are not garnished ( if I see correctly). Thanks for Your feedback.Frank
Sorry Frank, I tried to understand your words that you write. But I think it is a wrong translation in English. Try DeepL.com to translate. Maybe that makes more sence, or write in Italian, I try to translate.

Grazie ragazzi, bellissimi complimenti.

Scusa Frank, ho cercato di capire le parole che scrivi. Ma penso che sia una traduzione sbagliata in inglese. Prova DeepL.com per tradurre. Forse ha più senso, oppure scrivere in italiano, provo a tradurre.
Ciao Steef66, chiedo, i diametri di queste sartie sono di progettazione? Ho notato che le varie sartie non sono munite di guarnitura zona rambazza (se vedo bene). Grazie per il tuo feedback.Frank

guarnitura zona rambazza
Don't know what you mean with this word. Maybe someone else can translate.
The shrouds are about 1 mm. in diameter I think. Could be more or less. Have to look up in my notes.
The ratlines are about 0,185 mm. in diameter.
Everything is done correct in Dutch 1650 style.

If you mean with guarnitura zona rambazza if the shrouds need to be served. In 1650 shrouds are not served.

Don't know what you mean with this word. Maybe someone else can translate.
The shrouds are about 1 mm. in diameter I think. Could be more or less. Have to look up in my notes.
The ratlines are about 0,185 mm. in diameter.
Everything is done correct in Dutch 1650 style.

If you mean with guarnitura zona rambazza if the shrouds need to be served. In 1650 shrouds are not served.
Good morning Steef66, I am sorry that we do not understand each other ( translation ) but, there are anomalies in my opinion, Thank you always for your reply.Frank

Hi Steef66 , also for me is the same answer in this regard.Frank
Well, in that case I hope you will follow your decision you made in Archjofo's log (here) in my log too. Because I did a lot of study too how these Dutch ships where rigged. And I can tell you it was done in this way. We (Archjofo and me) are still waiting of a sample of how it should be done correctly by you.

Last edited:
Well, in that case I hope you will follow your decision you made in Archjofo's log (here) in my log too. Because I did a lot of study too how these Dutch ships where rigged. And I can tell you it was done in this way. We (Archjofo and me) are still waiting of a sample of how it should be done correctly by you.
Hi Steef66 ,sorry why should I have to prove it if it is okay with you? I never promised anything . I'll end it here, I don't like these diatribes. Frank

Hi Steef66 ,sorry why should I have to prove it if it is okay with you? I never promised anything . I'll end it here, I don't like these diatribes. Frank
Hello, Francesco. I think the conversation is lost in translation. I don't believe you, or anyone have to prove anything. We are sharing our knowledge and learn from others.

Stephan my dear friend
you are doing Wonderful work !
I'm happy that you can continue to work . the topmasts, the rigging and the topmast shrouds are real great Okay Exclamation-Mark Exclamation-Mark

Last edited:
Stephan my dear friend
you are doing Wonderful work !
I'm happy that you can continue to work . the topmasts, the rigging and the topmast shrouds are real great Okay Exclamation-Mark Exclamation-Mark
Thanks my friend for your visit and your kind words. I appreciate them. Hope I can give soon another update. In this moment I try to make tiny cleats from castello wood. When done I'll show how I did it.

Back