VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Last update about the warrior heads

They are painted (I know, but the rest is painted to, next ship I build no painted ornaments...) and placed. When the glue is hardened I will clean everything and give the heads a layer of Danish oil to let them look a little old.

IMG_3045.JPGIMG_3048.JPGIMG_3049.JPGIMG_3050.JPGIMG_3051.JPGIMG_3052.JPGIMG_3053.JPG

Thanks al for visiting and like my post.

Last update about the warrior heads

They are painted (I know, but the rest is painted to, next ship I build no painted ornaments...) and placed. When the glue is hardened I will clean everything and give the heads a layer of Danish oil to let them look a little old.

View attachment 342131View attachment 342132View attachment 342133View attachment 342134View attachment 342135View attachment 342136View attachment 342137

Thanks al for visiting and like my post.
I was not visiting your log for some days. But what a progress, Stephan! Just beautiful, all those different looks.
Your hidden skills has come out very well!
Regards, Peter

Thanks again for visiting my thread, likes and nice comments. The one behind the main shroud is ready. Was difficult because I wanted an ear on it and the Phrygian cap on the head. Then no beard, closed eyes and long hair. I make these without looking to a picture, just a picture I'm imagine in my head.
The size is small as you can see, the head is from chin to tip of head 9 mm. and from side to side 7 mm. The face is just 5 mm by 4 mm.

View attachment 338397View attachment 338398View attachment 338399View attachment 338400View attachment 338401

אולי לפני שאצבע אותו, אני עושה כוונון עדין על הסנטר והפה. זה בעיניי עדיין לעגל, זה צריך להיות יותר קשה בקצוות כדי שזה ייראה יותר כמו לוחם חופש כועס.
דרך אגב, זה כל כך כיף לעשות את זה. אתה יכול ללכת לאיבוד לגמרי בעצמך במהלך הגילוף.

Dear Stephan
very impressive carving work, well done my friend Thumbsup :) Okay

For who are interresting in how the anatomy of heads is build up. I use Andrew Loomis, a book that is free to download.where you can find all different types of heads. With these drawings in mind I create a face on my warrior.
View attachment 339440

Download link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj6g9nK8577AhUV7KQKHerBABsQFnoECE0QAQ&url=https://archive.org/download/andrew-loomis-drawing-the-head-hands/andrew-loomis-drawing-the-head-hands.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3loceM-t66xRlsVdGJhey0
A very good source , I will use it for my carving - thanks for sharing with us

Welcome back Folks on my build log of the Prins Willem. Due to a temporally handicap on my hands I'm forced to search some other work I can achieve. Let me tell you I can work on the rigging of the Prins Willem a few hours a day.

I'm finished the topmast shrouds on the main. 1 side needed to be done and it was a long time ago I finished the other side. Now both sides are done. Here a few pictures of the work. I use rope that I 'm making on my rope walk from Serafill Lock-yarn. 120/2 The ratlines have a thickness of max 0,2 mm. in diameter.

IMG_3869.JPGIMG_3872.JPGIMG_3873.JPGIMG_3874.JPGIMG_3875.JPGIMG_3876.JPG

The next thing I'm planning are the main topmast backstay and the topmast stay, Also I have to make a few seizing trucks on the shrouds and shrouds cleats to belay the ropes of the running rigging and side tackles. I'll finish this first before I go a step further on the fore mast.
So stay tuned.

@Herman I got a picture for you of the planking on the bow below the wales.

IMG_3871.JPG

Stefan, good afternoon.
Great job! It seemed to me that the deadeyes on the wall of the shrouds were the same diameter as those below on the shrouds. They should be a little smaller. Therefore, the wall-shroud turnbuckles look thin in the large holes of the deadeyes

Back