VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Edit, bad translation

Hi Stephan, I have this ship on my shelve and for sure come back here in time to learn from your work. I have a great book, but not in french nor english, but good pics and plan to decipher.

I appreciate your research and workmanship on this ship.
Thanks

Michel

Last edited:
Hi Stéphanie, I have this ship on my s'élève and for sure come back here in time to learn from your work. I have a great book, but not in french nor english, but good pics and plan to decipher.

I appreciate your research and workmanship on this ship.
Thanks

Michel
Thanks Michel, I hope my build is a good guide line for you. You got the book in Dutch? When you need some translation or explanation of some part, be free to ask. I believe I got a digital version of this book. I will look for it and let you know.
Stephan

Thanks Stephan. Yes, it is the book in dutch. I bought it used and the plans are in it at the end too. Thanks agsin for your offer for translation. If Google do not do the job, I Will come here. For now , I am a bit on hold and begin slowly my HMS Fly and prepare the rigging of my Belem.

Good evening or night...

Michel

Thanks all for returing to my log and all the nice comments, likes and interest.

After trying throwing away and searching for better methods to make cleats I succeeded with a method @archjofo showed us here Thanks for that Archjofo.

First I made some violin blocks like I showed before in this log.

IMG_3877.JPG

And then I started with the cleats.
First attempt:
IMG_3880.JPGIMG_3881.JPGIMG_3885.JPGIMG_3886.JPG

The grain is in the wrong way so they broke to easily. I remembered the other way of Archjofo and went searching for that. I have a castelo strip 3x12x1000 mm. what I'm using for that. I cut out a piece of 1,5 mm of the side so I get a piece of 3x1,5 mm. See pictures

IMG_3887.JPGIMG_3888.JPGIMG_3890.JPGIMG_3891.JPGIMG_3892.JPGIMG_3894.JPGIMG_3895.JPGIMG_3896.JPGIMG_3897.JPGIMG_3898.JPGIMG_3899.JPG

Pffff almost to small to work on. But I succeeded and here the result for all the blocks needed to compleet the standing rigging of the main topmast.

IMG_3900.JPGIMG_3901.JPG

The last picture after darkening them with the Kolderstok dark walnut stain.

I have to make a lot of these cleats, there are almost on every shroud these little buggers attached. So I make a few sticks of castello to make these cleats when I feel to do a few. Not all in one time, I hate repeating work.

IMG_3902.JPG
100 pieces to go (few spare)

Thanks all for returing to my log and all the nice comments, likes and interest.

After trying throwing away and searching for better methods to make cleats I succeeded with a method @archjofo showed us here Thanks for that Archjofo.

First I made some violin blocks like I showed before in this log.

View attachment 400475

And then I started with the cleats.
First attempt:
View attachment 400476View attachment 400477View attachment 400478View attachment 400479

The grain is in the wrong way so they broke to easily. I remembered the other way of Archjofo and went searching for that. I have a castelo strip 3x12x1000 mm. what I'm using for that. I cut out a piece of 1,5 mm of the side so I get a piece of 3x1,5 mm. See pictures

View attachment 400480View attachment 400481View attachment 400482View attachment 400483View attachment 400484View attachment 400485View attachment 400486View attachment 400487View attachment 400488View attachment 400489View attachment 400490

Pffff almost to small to work on. But I succeeded and here the result for all the blocks needed to compleet the standing rigging of the main topmast.

View attachment 400491View attachment 400492

The last picture after darkening them with the Kolderstok dark walnut stain.

I have to make a lot of these cleats, there are almost on every shroud these little buggers attached. So I make a few sticks of castello to make these cleats when I feel to do a few. Not all in one time, I hate repeating work.

View attachment 400493
100 pieces to go (few spare)
Can we order them ROTF

:) Thanks for the likes and the jokes.
The cleats are in place and the main topmast stay is done. Wow that was a lot of work. Making the mouse, the block with hook and the block on the top of the fore topmast to lead the stay down was a pain in ... to get that in place. But it is done and it looks good. Next are the back stays.

IMG_3903.JPGIMG_3905.JPGIMG_3906.JPGIMG_3908.JPGIMG_3910.JPGIMG_3911.JPGIMG_3912.JPGIMG_3913.JPGIMG_3914.JPGIMG_3915.JPG

Wow wow wow. Die kleinen Stollen und Blöcke leisten großartige Arbeit. Die Beiträge von Johann @archjofo sind immer Gold wert. Sehr schönes Rigging, ich bin froh, dass ich von diesem Teil der Arbeit noch sehr weit entfernt bin, da ich großen Respekt davor habe.

Last edited:
:) Thanks for the likes and the jokes.
The cleats are in place and the main topmast stay is done. Wow that was a lot of work. Making the mouse, the block with hook and the block on the top of the fore topmast to lead the stay down was a pain in ... to get that in place. But it is done and it looks good. Next are the back stays.

View attachment 400986View attachment 400987View attachment 400988View attachment 400989View attachment 400990View attachment 400991View attachment 400992View attachment 400993View attachment 400994View attachment 400995
Nice rigging with beautiful details, Stephan.
Regard, Peter

That looks brilliant!
Thanks Johan
The cleats are looking very nice while attached to ratlines. Your dedication paid off in full! :)
Thanks Jim, I'm still in the learning mode. The more I make the more detail and accurately.
Wow wow wow. Die kleinen Stollen und Blöcke leisten großartige Arbeit. Die Beiträge von Johann @archjofo sind immer Gold wert. Sehr schönes Rigging, ich bin froh, dass ich von diesem Teil der Arbeit noch sehr weit entfernt bin, da ich großen Respekt davor habe.
Danke Tobias, ja die Vorstellungen von Johann sind sehr informativ. Wir sollten froh sein, dass er uns zeigt, wie es gehen kann.
Ich bin zuversichtlich, dass es bei Deinem Bau völlig in Ordnung sein wird. Kleiner Tipp, mach dir dein eigenes Tau.
Nice rigging with beautiful details, Stephan.
Regard, Peter
Thanks Peter
great work Stephan Exclamation-Mark Thumbsup
Thanks my friend
Fantastic work, Stephan! It does take a lot of time.
Thanks Kurt, yes, it is not something you do in a blink. The hook on the block took me 4 hours incl. 3 re-do's

Thanks Johan

Thanks Jim, I'm still in the learning mode. The more I make the more detail and accurately.

Danke Tobias, ja die Vorstellungen von Johann sind sehr informativ. Wir sollten froh sein, dass er uns zeigt, wie es gehen kann.
Ich bin zuversichtlich, dass es bei Deinem Bau völlig in Ordnung sein wird. Kleiner Tipp, mach dir dein eigenes Tau.

Thanks Peter

Thanks my friend

Thanks Kurt, yes, it is not something you do in a blink. The hook on the block took me 4 hours incl. 3 re-do's
Everyone thinks the re-do's are a 100% loss of time, effort, and material cost. Not so. The gain is the experience, and you can't always get that with the wins. I usually learn more from mistakes than successes, as hateful as they are. Trouble is, I make too many of them.

Last edited:
Back