VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Heinrich,

Excellent explanation of your latest work. I know the “it’s there” feeling. I’m still in the novice builder phase and see all the “mistakes“ in my previous builds. Fortunately when we have company and the ships on the mantle are shown, they see the overall model. “How long did it take to build that” is the most common comment.

Jan

Thank you for kind comments, Jan, and the fact that you enjoy the log. You are right - it's certainly an "it's there" feeling. From the beginning of the build and sticking closely to the advice of one of the original Batavia builders on the Dutch Forum, I have decided to take things slowly and make sure that I do everything as "right" as I possibly can.

Kind regards - Heinrich

So first up was the wulf that needs to be planked with 4mm walnut strips at an angle of 72 degrees.
Can I ask why 72 degrees? Is this just the way the wulf is typically planked or is there an reasoning behind that particular angle? Just a noob trying learn what I can...

Hi Eric - great to hear from you! It is a very good question and certainly no "noob" one. As to the exact reason and whether there was any functionality to it. I have no idea. Maybe @Kolderstok ; @Maarten; or @Ab Hoving can help us. The only reason I know of, is that this is the way that the Batavia replica at Lelystadt in the Netherlands is planked.

gPICT0581.jpg

Hi gents,

In Dutch this is not the wulf but the spiegel, t hhe part above it which is white is the holle wulf, above that with the carvings and the green p l anks is the bolle wulf. Then above that the window section, above that the hakkebord and finally the bovendste hakkebord.

As to the spiegel I expect this was done to get the ends of the planks as square as possible at their connection to the hull planking. This connection at the edges was the weakest to watertighten. Secondly pointed wooden connections are more prone to rot.
With the smaller tucks at the beginning of the 17th century the planks are therefore at a bigger angle then at the end of the 17th century where the tucks become wider and the angle is going to a more 45 deg.

Thanks, @Maarten.
I was thinking I had seen some "spiegels" planked at 45 degrees, so your explanation is helpful. Would that joint at spiegel to hull planking be rabbeted or something other just a butt joint to help seal watertight? I am a huge fan of these Dutch ships, so I'm very thankful for your expertise.
@Heinrich, thanks for the photo of the spiegel on the replica Batavia. Helpful to see that up close on a real ship.
Cheers.

@donfarr : Thank you so much for the kind comments, Donnie. I follow your Rochefort build very closely and must applaud you for your "never say die" attitude. You are an inspiration to me and make me think of a good friend of mine back in South Africa. At age 79, he is still a regular competitor (and a fierce one at that) in SA V8 Modified Saloon Car Championships. When he is struggling with something on the car or engine, his favourite saying is: "It doesn't have a mother or father, therefore, it has to do what you want it to!"
Best Greetings - Heinrich

Thanks, @Maarten.
I was thinking I had seen some "spiegels" planked at 45 degrees, so your explanation is helpful. Would that joint at spiegel to hull planking be rabbeted or something other just a butt joint to help seal watertight? I am a huge fan of these Dutch ships, so I'm very thankful for your expertise.
@Heinrich, thanks for the photo of the spiegel on the replica Batavia. Helpful to see that up close on a real ship.
Cheers.
That is just a butt joint.

Heinrich,

Is there an explanation or reason for all those nails in the Gun port doors. I’ve noticed the same configuration on some of the other fine builds here on the forum.

Jan

Last edited:
@Pathfinder65 . Hi Jan, I asked the question on the Dutch modelbouwforum. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer other than it was probably for rigidity.

Heinrich,

It was a curiosity question, I tried searching the Internet but could not come up with an answer. I’m thinking maybe the design would act more like armor? But then again I’m not that familiar with wooden war ship designs.

Early English Ships, I did find this interesting. Fascinating what was done back then.

Jan

The keel sticks after hull planking and not before. The rear part must be chamfered to fit the rear beam on which you mount the rudder.
Basic mistakes . Where do you have chamfered frames?
Without literature, it makes no sense to build such a model like this, and then a Dutch school. Deck boards - drama
Sorry

1.jpg

The keel sticks after hull planking and not before. The rear part must be chamfered to fit the rear beam on which you mount the rudder.
Without literature, it makes no sense to build such a model like this, and then a Dutch school. Deck boards - drama
Sorry
?????

Sorry

@JScolum: Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, like Maarten, I am at a loss as to the meaning of your post.

1. Can you please say which part needs to be chamfered? I thought you meant that the hull planks need to be chamfered where they join the keel, but you mention "frames" - so not sure what that means. If "frames" are referring to the bulkheads - they will still be chamfered (faired) prior to the hull planking.

2. Lack of literature?

Literature.png

Literature 2.png

3. "Deck Boards - Drama"?

Kind regards - Heinrich

Sorry

@JScolum: Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, like Maarten, I am at a loss as to the meaning of your post.

1. Can you please say which part needs to be chamfered? I thought you meant that the hull planks need to be chamfered where they join the keel, but you mention "frames" - so not sure what that means. If "frames" are referring to the bulkheads - they will still be chamfered (faired) prior to the hull planking.

2. Lack of literature?

View attachment 140264

View attachment 140265

3. "Deck Boards - Drama"?

Kind regards - Heinrich
I highlighted the post you quoted,much more visible

Back