Working Steam powered wooden Drifter trawler, Formidable LT100, 1:24th scale

Part 15.

Somewhere along the way I dropped the idea of using an Arduino Nano and settled on using a FrSky Taranis 9x plus, programmable radio. This radio has Telemetry along with the benefit of being able to be programmed using Open TX Companion. This is an open source program that runs on a computer allowing me to create a program on my computer test it on the computer then download to the transmitter.

I have not tried to copy what Ian Gerrard did in his truly amazing control system however I have taken the concept and adapted it to a manageable level for me.

With most equipment mounted on the rail I pulled it apart and painted it. Turns out there are quite a few parts!!
DSC_0021.JPGDSC_0024 (2).JPG
I painted the rail parts dark Brunswick green, feed pumps and manifold Blue. Stop valve and pressure relief valve Red. Parts that are natural brass or copper were clear coated.
DSC_0034.JPG
Our viscus guard dog is protecting the painted parts. ;)
DSC_0037 (2).JPGDSC_0040.JPG

Before I mounted too many things to the rail I set the relief valve using compressed air.
DSC_0084 (2).JPG

After the paint had fully dried I reassembled the rail. I had read that balsa wood has really good insulating properties so I made an insulating tub for my steam manifold from it then painted it silver.
DSC_0637 (2).JPG

I mounted all the equipment that has been made so far to the rail.
DSC_0637 (3).JPG

A big thank you to those following and for all the likes, I really apprentice them.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Attachments

• DSC_0639.JPG
    DSC_0639.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 5

Part 15.

Somewhere along the way I dropped the idea of using an Arduino Nano and settled on using a FrSky Taranis 9x plus, programmable radio. This radio has Telemetry along with the benefit of being able to be programmed using Open TX Companion. This is an open source program that runs on a computer allowing me to create a program on my computer test it on the computer then download to the transmitter.

I have not tried to copy what Ian Gerrard did in his truly amazing control system however I have taken the concept and adapted it to a manageable level for me.

With most equipment mounted on the rail I pulled it apart and painted it. Turns out there are quite a few parts!!
View attachment 194254View attachment 194255
I painted the rail parts dark Brunswick green, feed pumps and manifold Blue. Stop valve and pressure relief valve Red. Parts that are natural brass or copper were clear coated.
View attachment 194256
Our viscus guard dog is protecting the painted parts. ;)
View attachment 194257View attachment 194258

Before I mounted too many things to the rail I set the relief valve using compressed air.
View attachment 194259

After the paint had fully dried I reassembled the rail. I had read that balsa wood has really good insulating properties so I made an insulating tub for my steam manifold from it then painted it silver.
View attachment 194260

I mounted all the equipment that has been made so far to the rail.
View attachment 194261

A big thank you to those following and for all the likes, I really apprentice them.

Cheers,
Stephen.
I am truly amazed at your familiarity and expertise with the heart of your system and ability to reassemble all of the painted parts once again. This will be exciting to see in operation. Rich (PT-2)

I am truly amazed at your familiarity and expertise with the heart of your system and ability to reassemble all of the painted parts once again. This will be exciting to see in operation. Rich (PT-2)
Thanks Rich,

Don't tell anyone but it's not all that amazing seeing that I took quite a few photos of dismantling the rail along with marking / stamping components before removal.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Thanks Rich,

Don't tell anyone but it's not all that amazing seeing that I took quite a few photos of dismantling the rail along with marking / stamping components before removal.

Cheers,
Stephen.
That is a very wise procedure that I had not thought of doing. Like putting cookie crumbs down on the trail to find you way back, .. . if the bad wolf didn't eat them. . . ;-) Rich