YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

My earlier post showed the stairs from the quarter deck to the aft cabin.
The aft cabin project is turning out to be a little more complex than I anticipated; the main structure of the cabin, side panels for the entrance, hatch, stairs, door, roof parts, etc, etc. It would have been a lot easier to use the kit-supplied aft cabin parts, but where's the fun in that?
Turning the aft cabin into a scratch build makes it a lot of fun; concept, design, planning, cutting and putting parts together and watching it grow into what once was a vague idea, running around in my mind.
The main drawback is that it takes me an inordinate amount of time to get from concept to realization, but since not having a schedule or a competition, I'm not too worried about it.
Once I have something more tangible to show, I will upload some more pictures of this side project.

My earlier post showed the stairs from the quarter deck to the aft cabin.
The aft cabin project is turning out to be a little more complex than I anticipated; the main structure of the cabin, side panels for the entrance, hatch, stairs, door, roof parts, etc, etc. It would have been a lot easier to use the kit-supplied aft cabin parts, but where's the fun in that?
Turning the aft cabin into a scratch build makes it a lot of fun; concept, design, planning, cutting and putting parts together and watching it grow into what once was a vague idea, running around in my mind.
The main drawback is that it takes me an inordinate amount of time to get from concept to realization, but since not having a schedule or a competition, I'm not too worried about it.
Once I have something more tangible to show, I will upload some more pictures of this side project.
Hello Johan, You are making some great headway in your YQ-Bluenose. This sort of thing is what makes each YQ-Bluenose very special and just a bit difference from each other.
I am still playing around with those water ways to fit in easily so as to be able to paint them, they are a bit of a pain that is for sure. Like you I have cut away the build jig to make this task just a bit easier to work on. Should have a post later this week.
Regards Lawrence

No time/opportunity for extensive posts, due to family circumstances. Only some occasional, scattered moments available for some building.

Aft cabin:
View attachment 346379View attachment 346380
It’s time consuming, Johan, but it will be a eye catcher on the aft deck. With a nice personal touch and a real sliding hatch!
Regards, Peter

Dear Johan. Merry Christmas, my friend. May it be a special day which you can enjoy with your family and loved ones.

In between the earlier mentioned family affairs I found a little time to look critically at some details and didn't like what I saw. Especially the hatches of the companionway, the aft cabin and the wheel house failed to meet expectations. So I manufactured new hatches for the companionway and the aft cabin, with a slight curvature to the hatches' profile, removed the white paint from the wheel house hatch and applied a clear varnish on the three parts. Applying a clear varnish to the hatches makes a more balanced and, in my opinion, a more appealing appearance; the white paint made it look rather harsh.

Clear varnish on aft cabin hatch (with a more pronounced contour) and wheel house hatch:
2D401315-ABB5-4038-8CB7-265264DA5D5B.jpeg
White painted hatches:
DA866025-AD78-4BB4-8BC8-C6FDB0D97B0A.jpeg

Clear varnished companionway hatch with curvature:
85E8C4C8-3630-4732-A7BE-315846A3469D.jpeg85BDA280-832E-480F-88AD-2D0BBA92D1A8.jpeg
White painted companionway hatch:
071AC58C-4E89-4884-97A3-841B04B76650.jpeg

In between the earlier mentioned family affairs I found a little time to look critically at some details and didn't like what I saw. Especially the hatches of the companionway, the aft cabin and the wheel house failed to meet expectations. So I manufactured new hatches for the companionway and the aft cabin, with a slight curvature to the hatches' profile, removed the white paint from the wheel house hatch and applied a clear varnish on the three parts. Applying a clear varnish to the hatches makes a more balanced and, in my opinion, a more appealing appearance; the white paint made it look rather harsh.

Clear varnish on aft cabin hatch (with a more pronounced contour) and wheel house hatch:
View attachment 347248
White painted hatches:
View attachment 347253

Clear varnished companionway hatch with curvature:
View attachment 347249View attachment 347250
White painted companionway hatch:
View attachment 347252
A very nice re-do, Johan. A beautiful natural look!
Prettige Kerstdagen voor jou, Ellen en familie.
Gr. Peter

Back