YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

Things are progressing slowly, mainly due to making quite a few parts myself, instead of using the YQ supplied parts. I blame some not-to-be-mentioned friends, who are setting some standards here. ;)
What was achieved though was the installation of the rudder, where I used the YQ parts, slightly modified and the wheel house was also completed and installed.
The wheel house also accommodates the steering mechanism, with a big thanks to @Henk Liebre; that being the main reason I couldn't use the standard parts.

Rudder installation starboard side:
9DD75BC9-F2DC-4297-8CD2-62C07DBBED24.jpeg
Rudder installation port side:
F61BE723-E5CE-4835-9A31-40649012FD77.jpeg
Wheel house closed:
766328BE-1BB6-4FBD-8065-D04DEA0457D9.jpeg
Wheel house opened:
CACC9B31-6B48-4BC0-A119-7A16B8D263CB.jpeg

Things are progressing slowly, mainly due to making quite a few parts myself, instead of using the YQ supplied parts. I blame some not-to-be-mentioned friends, who are setting some standards here. ;)
What was achieved though was the installation of the rudder, where I used the YQ parts, slightly modified and the wheel house was also completed and installed.
The wheel house also accommodates the steering mechanism, with a big thanks to @Henk Liebre; that being the main reason I couldn't use the standard parts.

View attachment 343090
View attachment 343091
Wheel house closed:
View attachment 343092
Wheel house opened:
View attachment 343096
That are some nice improvements of little items, Johan.:) Building it will have cost you the necessary time, but it is now paying off again.
With beautiful recessed hinges in the hatch of the wheelhouse!
Regards, Peter

Hello Johan, Golly but you guys are sure setting some very High Standard's, Do not know if I will be able to compete with you, but will try.
Finally started working in my Old Ship Yard again
Off to a very slow start but it sure feels good to be back again.
Regards Lawrence
Thanks, Lawrence,
I can’t tell how pleased I am that you found your way to the shipyard again. Slow isn’t bad; it gives you time to think and think ahead. I find I am enjoying myself with tinkering with stuff, while turning ideas around in my head, imagining how things could look. That sometimes can be disappointing; the end result then looks exactly as I imagined... ;)
#restlessly waiting for your updates#

Hello Johan, Golly but you guys are sure setting some very High Standard's, Do not know if I will be able to compete with you, but will try.
Finally started working in my Old Ship Yard again
Off to a very slow start but it sure feels good to be back again.
Regards Lawrence
Thanks, Lawrence,
I can’t tell how pleased I am that you found your way to the shipyard again. Slow isn’t bad; it gives you time to think and think ahead. I find I am enjoying myself with tinkering with stuff, while turning ideas around in my head, imagining how things could look. That sometimes can be disappointing; the end result then looks exactly as I imagined... ;)
#restlessly waiting for your updates#
I agree with Johan: Nice to see you back on the shipyard and see the updates in your build-log.
Regards, Peter

As before, work continues on the elements found on deck. Now I find myself occupied with the main cabin.
I didn't want to use the YQ supplied parts, because I want to have a partially open roof structure, second, the proposed configuration of the main cabin panels are copied form the BN II, which shows a horizontal orientation of the planks, whereas the original BN most likely had vertically orientated planks. The final two reason for scratchbuilding the aft cabin are the two lights, which need to be attached to the ceiling somehow.
First I build some panels. The panels constitutes a frame, complemented by planks. I again used the YQ supplied parts as template. Since the panels are asymmetric, they warp like crazy. The only option I have to avoid this, is to make the panels double sided. That would result in quite some bulky panels, which I don't prefer.
After having build the panels, I constructed the roof structure. It has provisions for the skylight and the cabins' entrance.
The framework looked like some Chinese character:
0A5F0F44-6376-4309-8229-99B825409781.jpeg

Below the coarse build of the aft cabin, with a completed roof frame. The construction is incredibly fragile, plus the warpage of the panels is frustrating. Now I am in the planning stage of the entrance parts.
The cabin is about 80mm long, 57mm wide and max 12,5mm high.
4A6EE643-1AFD-4F40-93F3-7F82F35A2D67.jpeg

As before, work continues on the elements found on deck. Now I find myself occupied with the main cabin.
I didn't want to use the YQ supplied parts, because I want to have a partially open roof structure, second, the proposed configuration of the main cabin panels are copied form the BN II, which shows a horizontal orientation of the planks, whereas the original BN most likely had vertically orientated planks. The final two reason for scratchbuilding the aft cabin are the two lights, which need to be attached to the ceiling somehow.
First I build some panels. The panels constitutes a frame, complemented by planks. I again used the YQ supplied parts as template. Since the panels are asymmetric, they warp like crazy. The only option I have to avoid this, is to make the panels double sided. That would result in quite some bulky panels, which I don't prefer.
After having build the panels, I constructed the roof structure. It has provisions for the skylight and the cabins' entrance.
View attachment 343941

Below the coarse build of the aft cabin, with a completed roof frame. The construction is incredibly fragile, plus the warpage of the panels is frustrating. Now I am in the planning stage of the entrance parts.
View attachment 343942
It’s looking nice and well thought out, Johan. It’s a complicated part.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 343941

View attachment 343942
Good morning Johan. Stunning. Have you change nationality or are you just commiserating with the belgiums going out of the World Cup ROTF . I see the boys in orange are through to the last 8. Nice! Don’t shoot me but I am supporting England for this World Cup- must be the Victory’s influenceROTF. Cheers Grant

Good morning Johan. Stunning. Have you change nationality or are you just commiserating with the belgiums going out of the World Cup ROTF . I see the boys in orange are through to the last 8. Nice! Don’t shoot me but I am supporting England for this World Cup- must be the Victory’s influenceROTF. Cheers Grant
Morning Grant, thanks, the build of the aft cabin poses a real challenge, but it's very satisfying once the bits and pieces start coming together.
I haven't changed nationality; my VPN is set to connect to the fastest connection, which happens to be a server in Belgium.
As far as football is concerned, when I was a tad younger, I was a fervent supporter of Ajax. But once Johan Cruijff left for Barcelona, for the big money, I utterly and totally lost interest.
I assume England stands a better change of entering the next round than the Dutch; our national team will be on the flight home after meeting Argentina. ROTF

View attachment 343090
View attachment 343091
Wheel house closed:
View attachment 343092
Wheel house opened:
View attachment 343096
Nice work Johan! Wherever did you get that miniature steering mechanism? ;)

Always nice if you can help each other
The anchors you made are at the printer to soon shine on Johan's model
Nice addition Dean, still happy with it
Regards Henk
Thanks, it was fun to work with Peter on the scale and dimensions required to make the steering mechanism model. And your printing of the resin parts was a key contribution. Everyone contributed, and I am very happy that our efforts are coming to fruition on models now. That makes it worth time spent! ;)

Back