YUANQING BLUENOSE - Heinrich

Lets see what Heinrich says but feels like all this quesr’tions hijacking the log
Hi Zoly. I think moving forward, I agree with you to place the arrivals in the Payment and Ordering section - not for my sake as I don't mind at all - but maybe for members who want to copy and save the instructions for their own records.

Hi Zoly. I think moving forward, I agree with you to place the arrivals in the Payment and Ordering section - not for my sake as I don't mind at all - but maybe for members who want to copy and save the instructions for their own records.
From being out of touch with our Bluenose since Wednesday. . . a Saturday scan shows that there has been some excellently well asked and answered with illustrations progress. When those of us receiving the kit down the road have it in place to begin being able to look back in our forum logs will be a tardy tutorial, possibly much needed by me. I also just read and saw of the Administrative Appointment of our illustrious forum moderator. Well deserved and recognized. Rich (PT-2)

@PT-2 I am very happy if the tutorial can be of help. "Illustrious" forum moderator? ROTF Naah ... If I have the privilege of meeting you some day (and there are actually some wild thoughts running around in my mind as to this), you will see that I am the exact opposite. :)

What a fabulous build @Heinrich ! Reading through your log sure gives Netflix binge watching a run for its money. Although my present skill sets aren't quite ready for a POF build yet, your clearly illustrated posts give me a good idea what it will take for me to get to the next level when the time comes. Thanks and congratulations on your new moderator designation. Keep safe my friend.

@WarrLight Hello Reggie. It is great to see you here - and thank you very much for the kind words! From what I have observed from your Black Pearl build, there is nothing wrong with your skill set. Remember, this is my first POF build as well.

Hello Dear Friends

First I have to thank you all for your tremendous response to and support of this build log - it was no surprise that Bluenose occupied the #1 Spot on the SOS Charts for the Most Viewed Topic! Thumbsup

微信图片_20201213070034.jpg

Weekends are by far my busiest as far as my teaching schedule goes, so please bear with me for not being able to give you a substantial update. However, some progress was made and all is still going well so far.

Keel Assembly 1 - 副本.png
To recap, we have now finished the bottom-end of the keel assembly which comprises of the inner keel and two "outer " keels - Port- and Starboard Side. The newly added parts (#20 and #21) are the ones marked in red and green on the drawing above. Now was also the right time to remove the laser char on the bottom side of the keel.

Next in line is the the installation of the outer keels on the top part of the keel assembly. To see how these look, we revert again to our Parts Inventory.

Part 17 and 18.png
You will see that there are obviously two drawings - one each for the Port-and Starboard sides. For our immediate purpose, we are only going to work with Parts #17 and #18. Part #19 will form part of the transom assembly and later and should not be cut from the sheet for the time being.

微信图片_20201212210407.jpg
There are obviously also two wooden sheets supplied - this one shows the Port Side. Notice that I have marked the sheet with the word "Bokant" (Afrikaans) in the far right, lower corner. "Bokant" means "Top Side" and is marked to indicate the side that will be visible after assembly, i.e. the "outer" side. Also note that I have clearly marked each part to avoid any possible confusion later on.

微信图片_20201212210357.jpg

Here the two parts are removed from the sheet and placed above the keel in their correct designated positions. Part #17 will be installed from the midships position towards the bow-end whilst Part #18 will run from midship towards the stern. After I had removed the char (ONLY ON THE BOTTOM END) of Part #17, I applied a fine layer of PVA glue (I use my finger for this to ensure that it is applied evenly) taking great care that no glue got into any of the notches. Then I left the glue to dray for approximately 15 minutes. This makes the glue slightly more tacky which means the part does not slide around too much while being attached to the inner keel portion.

CAUTION: Take your time with this and make sure that the notches are PERFECTLY aligned. This is crucial as these steps will ultimately ensure that our frames are seated correctly and securely. If any glue does get into any of the notches REMOVE IMMEDIATELY with a damp cloth.

微信图片_20201212233200.jpg
And there you go! Gents, the fit on this kit has been PERFECT so far. The notches line up beautifully. Tomorrow morning I will attach Part #17 on the Port Side. I do not like doing this in artificial light, because you can imagine that any shadow or reflection cast by light will wreak havoc on the notch-alignment. I have already discovered that if you work slowly and as accurately as you can, the kit will deliver the goods.

Fire away with all those comments and questions. I am at your call. :D

@DonRobinson
@Pathfinder65

Dear Don and Jan. You both asked me if this will form the rabbet. When I answered Jan, I said I didn't think so - but now that I look at it again, it might very well be possible. :confused: I think one will be able to make a better call once the midship to stern section is also attached. @DonRobinson Of course I will post pictures once this step is completed, my friend - BUT first there is something VERY TRICKY that has to happen to Part #18 before it gets attached to the inner keel. Hopefully Part #17 goes on just as well tomorrow morning on the Port side and then it is time for that tricky part which I hope to share with you tomorrow night.

Heinrich,
This line of you triggers me: “... something VERY TRICKY that has to happen to Part #18 ...”.
When you look to the picture of 'Fig.3', you see in de talking-cloud circle, right under, part 18 has to be beveled on the under side.
1607887004513.png
But in the middle of the picture you can see this schematic cross-section:
1607883815424.png
I can’t translate the Chinese characters.

There it looks the lower parts 20 has on the above side the bevel.
And 18 is in line with 17, and 21 is in line with 20.
Must have 20 and 21 the bevel instead of 17 and 18?
Or does the bevel flips van 18 tot 20?
A little bit confusing.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hello Friends

As promised, I said that I would give you an update. So let us just recap. The inner keel section has been completed and I have finished the outer keel cheeks on the BOTTOM of the starboard side. See the picture below which was also the last picture of my previous post.

View attachment 198305

Outer cheeks (comprising of Parts #20 and #21) installed at the bottom of the keel.

View attachment 198306

And yesterday I finished the outer keel cheeks on the BOTTOM of the Port side.

View attachment 198307

Here are the parts that we have used in the construction of the bottom-end outer cheeks - Part #20 marked in Green and Part #21 marked in Red. So from this sheet (there are obviously two such sheets - one for starboard and one for port) we have thus used only two pieces from each sheet. These two sheets can now be put away until later.

On the above drawing however, you will notice that Part #20 needs to be beveled. @DonRobinson Don has asked for additional information on the beveling and I agree fully. This is often something that is not done right or accurately enough and which then leads to detrimental effects later in the build.

View attachment 198308

The black line (just above the lower red line) is the actual bevel line on Part #20. The distance from that bevel line to the tip of Part #20 is 1.0mm to 1.5mm depending on whether you include the actual thickness of the bevel line. If you bevel so that the line is still visible, the distance is 1.0mm - if you bevel until the line is gone the bevel will measure 1.5mm. I have opted for the latter, but honestly - I do not believe that 0.5mm is going to make a difference either way.

View attachment 198309

For the benefit of all, I have measured the angle after I had beveled it and it came to approximately 22 degrees. Once again, I don't believe this measurement is cast in stone, but it does give you some indication.

View attachment 198310

The beveling shown from the side.

View attachment 198311

From the top (I do apologize for the quality of this picture - I just could not get it any clearer.)

View attachment 198313

And from the front. Obviously I still have to give all parts a final sanding, but I'm very happy with how this turned out.

SUGGESTION. Even though I beveled Part#20 first before gluing it to the inner keel, I would advise you to attach Part #20 first to the inner keel and do the beveling on the keel when the glue has dried. That way you eliminate all possibilities of breaking the tip while you do the beveling.

This is where I am now - I will continue work and keep you posted. Thank you all for watching, following, supporting and making suggestions. We already have an excellent interaction going here - keep it going!

Until later. keep well my friends and take care!
Just for fun with an English teacher writing about the bevel on #20. . . I believe that things are "Carved in Stone" and "Cast in Concrete" . . . . . I greatly appreciate your lead and explanations of this build as to progresses from "step to step" or rather "task to task". I will need all of the guidance that I can obtain and the with age probably forget most of it. (I shouldn't end that comment with a preposition. . . sorry. )Thanks, Rich (PT-2)

Just for fun with an English teacher writing about the bevel on #20. . . I believe that things are "Carved in Stone" and "Cast in Concrete" . . . . . I greatly appreciate your lead and explanations of this build as to progresses from "step to step" or rather "task to task". I will need all of the guidance that I can obtain and the with age probably forget most of it. (I shouldn't end that comment with a preposition. . . sorry. )Thanks, Rich (PT-2)
Hi Rich I would have thought the expression was "Set in Stone" it is certainly the one I know.
Allan

Hi Rich I would have thought the expression was "Set in Stone" it is certainly the one I know.
Allan
Continuing the concept. . . I can see "Set on Stone" or in the example of a stone masonry wall one stone could be set within others but how could you set something in stone unless it was carved out or surrounded by other stones? Maybe that is the context of "Set in Stone". Something to think about every day. Thanks for the opportunity. Rich (PT-2)

Back