YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well, since we're looking for ideas to pimp the Bluenose, why not add a heli-deck on an extension aft of the wheel house? Or just add a complete flight deck with catapults, arrester cables, the lot. Cut off the masts and install the flight deck on the two remaining stumps. :D
mwoh ... it must remain civilized. It can be to much…..

Last edited:
Of course, after I mentioned that I was considering adjusting the hawse holes, you already knew this was going to happen. ;)

Got to work again with my Evergreen tube of internal 3 and external 4 mm. Using the pointer of Hans' @Kolderstok bender:
751 Hawse hole.jpg
The new tubes glued on Evergreen 1 mm sheet. Drilled a hole and started filing .......
After the necessary fashioning, the inside was made gray and the edges black. In the end this result:
752 Hawse hole.jpg
They are slightly more slanted, but that couldn't be otherwise with the holes I had already made. But I am more satisfied with this. Now I'm going to adjust the scroll to this new shape.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Of course, after I mentioned that I was considering adjusting the hawse holes, you already knew this was going to happen. ;)

Got to work again with my Evergreen tube of internal 3 and external 4 mm. Using the pointer of Hans' @Kolderstok bender:
View attachment 310277
The new tubes glued on Evergreen 1 mm sheet. Drilled a hole and started filing .......
After the necessary fashioning, the inside was made gray and the edges black. In the end this result:
View attachment 310278
They are slightly more slanted, but that couldn't be otherwise with the holes I had already made. But I am more satisfied with this. Now I'm going to adjust the scroll to this new shape.
Regards, Peter
Now that’s being creative, excellent result! The surround is more to scale, and the ellipse is more pronounced. It is now fitting of the ship it’s attached to! ;)
You have done such good work thus far, that you have set the bar high for every detail going forward. But I know you are capable of continuing this caliber of work! I am still excited to see the winch and motor installation. I wait patiently… :p

Now that’s being creative, excellent result! The surround is more to scale, and the ellipse is more pronounced. It is now fitting of the ship it’s attached to! ;)
You have done such good work thus far, that you have set the bar high for every detail going forward. But I know you are capable of continuing this caliber of work! I am still excited to see the winch and motor installation. I wait patiently… :p
Thanxs for your kind words, Dean. I see the motor, stearing mechanism and wheel almost every day in the corner of my eyes, waiting for installation. Working upwards to the deck, but still some issues to do.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 310277
View attachment 310278
Regards, Peter
Very nicely crafted, kudos!

After 10 days of touring the French Alps with the motorcycle and the maintenance afterwards, I picked up the thread again.
A chapter with a lot of AL-FI.

First up where the scrolls. After the 1st attempt, too thick, the 2nd attempt, run out by the linseed oil, this is the result of the 3rd attempt. They are slightly higher in shape than the original, but that's because the vault holes on my BN are turned down slightly.
753 Front.jpg
754 Front.jpg
The scrolls are drawn with a thin gold pen. Because this is not really visible on the wooden starboard side, I have put a black accent around it.

With in detail also the first 2 stays of the bowsprit:
755 Front.jpg
756 Front.jpg
Those are the inner and the lower bobstays.
On 2 photos shown earlier, it can be seen that they have been made white up to the bowsprit. The connection on the bow has a black piece.
Both the Saga and Chapelle's book mention that the stays were made of 'galvanized plow steel'. That is steel cable with a certain carbon content to make it stronger. A member of the Dutch forum had given me a bundle of braided wire for my Lee. I used that for both bobstays.
I made the turnbuckles from eye pins and pieces of brass tube.
For the attachment to the hull I still had small shackles lying around.

I'm not completely satisfied with the scrolls yet. Maybe 3D printing is an option. Made a first contact .....
Regards, Peter

After 10 days of touring the French Alps with the motorcycle and the maintenance afterwards, I picked up the thread again.
A chapter with a lot of AL-FI.

First up where the scrolls. After the 1st attempt, too thick, the 2nd attempt, run out by the linseed oil, this is the result of the 3rd attempt. They are slightly higher in shape than the original, but that's because the vault holes on my BN are turned down slightly.
View attachment 313045
View attachment 313046
The scrolls are drawn with a thin gold pen. Because this is not really visible on the wooden starboard side, I have put a black accent around it.

With in detail also the first 2 stays of the bowsprit:
View attachment 313047
View attachment 313049
Those are the inner and the lower bobstays.
On 2 photos shown earlier, it can be seen that they have been made white up to the bowsprit. The connection on the bow has a black piece.
Both the Saga and Chapelle's book mention that the stays were made of 'galvanized plow steel'. That is steel cable with a certain carbon content to make it stronger. A member of the Dutch forum had given me a bundle of braided wire for my Lee. I used that for both bobstays.
I made the turnbuckles from eye pins and pieces of brass tube.
For the attachment to the hull I still had small shackles lying around.

I'm not completely satisfied with the scrolls yet. Maybe 3D printing is an option. Made a first contact .....
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter, Welcome back to your Old Ship Yard, I just love all of that great bow area detail, Well Done.
Regards Lawrence

Back