YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

I love it Peter! I’ve been waiting some time to see this area come together, and you didn’t disappoint! I like all the nice details…superb my friend! ;)
Thanx, my ‘far over the ocean friend’. But sometimes it feels like you are sitting next to me. Talking and discussing the BN, like we do with the DBBS.
After the shipswheel, steering mechanism, now the engine has found its place on the deck. That are 3/4 of the 3D printed parts. Up to the last one. :)
Hopefully you soon have some time to restart your building on the plane and NL.
Regards, Peter

Goo afternoon Peter. I have been going through your Bluenose build. (As I said “hidden away” in the group builds). I wasn’t going to like and love every post ROTF you would have plenty.

Fine to say Immaculate and beautiful. Stunning kit to. I love the split hull at the waterline. When I’m big one day I will attempt something like this.

Your attention to detail is commendable and the way you did the tree nails I will give a go in my next build.

Some where in your log I see you like single malt whiskey “The Balvenie” lovely choice. You must try this if you have not my favorite:
7295B1C4-6B69-49E5-AE3E-BBE73DE4E62F.jpeg
Now I know where you “live” I will continue to follow your progress- just beautiful! Cheers Grant

Goo afternoon Peter. I have been going through your Bluenose build. (As I said “hidden away” in the group builds). I wasn’t going to like and love every post ROTF you would have plenty.

Fine to say Immaculate and beautiful. Stunning kit to. I love the split hull at the waterline. When I’m big one day I will attempt something like this.

Your attention to detail is commendable and the way you did the tree nails I will give a go in my next build.

Some where in your log I see you like single malt whiskey “The Balvenie” lovely choice. You must try this if you have not my favorite:
View attachment 318381
Now I know where you “live” I will continue to follow your progress- just beautiful! Cheers Grant
Hi Grant. Thanks for you walk through my build-log. And welcome to stay.
For sure I will test your advice for the Dalwhinnie. I know the brand, but there are so many good ones.
Regards, Peter

Both Davits / Cathead scratch made. I found the YQ version a bit too coarse:
814 Davids.jpg
From above:
815 Davids.jpg
They are secured with a brace to an eye on the outside of the Buffalo rail. Thus, the davits can also be detached and turned inwards. Both arms of the winch brake have been removed for a while to have room to work.

Now I can measure and make the hoist mechanism, because the anchors are taken out of the water in a special way to be fixed on the railing. And I can also determine the position of the stowed anchors.
To starboard comes a 'Fishermen's of Bank Anchor with wooden stock'. This is a heavy anchor that is attached to a cable.
To port will be a 'Club Anchor with loose iron stock'. This is a lighter anchor that is on a chain.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The drive with the motor of the winch and anchor winch is also installed.
Knotted a new small chain first:
View attachment 317897
The 1st version and the 3rd. The latest has 29 links per 5cm/inch.

Also new hinges made:
View attachment 317898
Of '21' syringe internal 0.5, for the pin of spring steel 0.5. Unfortunately the photo is not sharp.

All parts ready:
View attachment 317899

The complete 'drive-chain' with the open starboard side:
View attachment 317900

The closed port side:
View attachment 317904
The black box in front of the engine housing is the 'gearbox'. There is a friction clutch so that the engine can be started without the winches turning at the same time. The control handle on the black box.

With the 3 hatches open:
View attachment 317903
With this side also a view of the engine.
Thanks to these photos I now know that I still have to add some finishing touches with paint.;)

And a overall view of the front:
View attachment 317905

Regards, Peter
Brilliant Peter Okay

Considering the outside temperatures at the moment , nice progress made , and very nice details what you show
On my work table it can only be done in the evening

Both Davids / Cathead scratch made. I found the YQ version a bit too coarse:
View attachment 318459
From above:
View attachment 318460
They are secured with a brace to an eye on the outside of the Buffalo rail. Thus, the davids can also be detached and turned inwards. Both arms of the winch brake have been removed for a while to have room to work.

Now I can measure and make the hoist mechanism, because the anchors are taken out of the water in a special way to be fixed on the railing. And I can also determine the position of the stowed anchors.
To starboard comes a 'Fishermen's of Bank Anchor with wooden stock'. This is a heavy anchor that is attached to a cable.
To port will be a 'Club Anchor with loose iron stock'. This is a lighter anchor that is on a chain.
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter, Very nice work for sure along with a ton of great ideas that your YQ Bluenose friends can use in hole or in part to build there YQ Bluenoses. You have set a very high standard for the rest of us to fowl, me included. I seen to have lost the wind in my sails this summer, just so very much to do these days around our home, that when I do catch up I am just to tired to work in the Old Ship Yard. Hope this all changes in the fall.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Peter, Very nice work for sure along with a ton of great ideas that your YQ Bluenose friends can use in hole or in part to build there YQ Bluenoses. You have set a very high standard for the rest of us to fowl, me included. I seen to have lost the wind in my sails this summer, just so very much to do these days around our home, that when I do catch up I am just to tired to work in the Old Ship Yard. Hope this all changes in the fall.
Regards Lawrence
Thanks for your reply, Lawrence. Hopefully you get your energy back soon, with some inspiration from the other builders. Johan @RDN1954 also returned from his vacation and perhaps will shine some extra lights in his BN. ;)
Regard, Peter

Thanks for your reply, Lawrence. Hopefully you get your energy back soon, with some inspiration from the other builders. Johan @RDN1954 also returned from his vacation and perhaps will shine some extra lights in his BN. ;)
Regard, Peter
Aha, there's no pressure, I see, no pressure at all by one's peers...
Indeed, back from vacation and tonight was the first opportunity to "flex my muscles", so to speak.
I'll update in my own log in a couple of days, but right now it's a mix of adding hardware (deck beams and bulkheads) and installing lights. In the meantime I'm in the planning phase of some additional customization, but for that you'll have to try a little patience.

View attachment 318459
From above:
View attachment 318460
They are secured with a brace to an eye on the outside of the Buffalo rail. Thus, the davids can also be detached and turned inwards. Both arms of the winch brake have been removed for a while to have room to work.

Regards, Peter
For sure that foredeck is a thing of beauty. Looking forward to see more of those anchors, it's certainly new territory for me.

View attachment 318459
From above:
View attachment 318460

Regards, Peter
Good Morning Peter. I don't know what the kit catheads/davits looked like, however those you made are outstanding and certainly keep with the rest of the model standards. Amazing work Peter. Cheers Grant

I haven't really posted recently Peter, but this seems like a good time to share how astounded I continue to be by your work product. What is especially impressive is that there is no drop off in the 'excellence factor' as you move across mediums (wood, textiles, metals). Really, really nice work my friend!

Good Morning Peter. I don't know what the kit catheads/davits looked like, however those you made are outstanding and certainly keep with the rest of the model standards. Amazing work Peter. Cheers Grant
Thanks, Grant. This are the YQ davits:
Davits.jpg
If you are building according to the kit, no problem. In the next post I show some drawings of Chapelle.
Regards, Peter

Back