YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Peter that your progress on Bluenose is astounding is almost a given, that is why we veer off course. And veering, I agree - the Bentley is the ultimate toy for me as well. I will never be able to own one, but I do own a Breitling/Bentley centennial watch where the dial harks back to the Blowers and Sir Henry "Tim" Birkin. The Bentley story will always have a special place in my heart because of the South African connection with Woolf Barnato.

Peter that your progress on Bluenose is astounding is almost a given, that is why we veer off course. And veering, I agree - the Bentley is the ultimate toy for me as well. I will never be able to own one, but I do own a Breitling/Bentley centennial watch where the dial harks back to the Blowers and Sir Henry "Tim" Birkin. The Bentley story will always have a special place in my heart because of the South African connection with Woolf Barnato.
Thanks for your nice word, Heinrich. About your watch, here we say ‘Dat’s un mooi klokkie’. You can be proud to own such a watch with that background.
Regards, Peter

The fore mast assembled in terms of parts after the painting:
1026 Fore.jpg
For clarification, in the middle a part of the drawing by MS/Lankford. This gives a nice overview of everything that comes together on the top of the lower mast. It’s more complex than the main mast. On the drawings of YQ, this is divided over several drawings.
-the foot of the top mast in the opening with the gate.
-the top band that encloses the top mast there.
-the hoops on the topmast.
-9 blocks (yellow) with their metal brackets including eye or hook.
-on the top band a total of 4 brackets (blue) that hinge on the two pins.
-on the belt below, ditto 3 brackets (blue)
In particular, securing the assembly of various brackets with a pin took quite a bit of time and effort.

Installed the mast dry-fit to see how it stands:
1027 Fore.jpg
On top of the top mast, just like the main mast, a small band with the 2 small blocks, the ring with the holes for the flag line and the ball.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
respect due to the scale you work in. I know how small these parts are. I seen it in real. Great work again
Thanks, Stephan. In particular where the small brackets on the limit of handling. Fitting together on the mast or making a eye and a hook around the 2,5 mm block. Sick
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
..... that is why we veer off course. And veering, ......
There is always time for veering ......... :)
After the HorsePower (HP) of the muscle cars, the WindPower (WP) of the ships last week, I had some time for MusclePower:
1671292520560.png
Cycled this afternoon with my road bicycle on the Tacx Neo-2 trainer behind my iMac through the Yorkshire Dales.:)
For the cycle-insiders: 35 km, 621 alto-meters, at the end the climb to Fleet Moss with a max of 19,3%, avrg. 1,88 w/kg.
Not bad for a BN-builder aged 65. ;) (As a say this to myselfROTF)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Very good Peter! I am not close to that yet. With today at minus 3 degrees, a howling wind and a lake that is starting to freeze in places, I decided to stay home and work on the WB.

Very good Peter! I am not close to that yet. With today at minus 3 degrees, a howling wind and a lake that is starting to freeze in places, I decided to stay home and work on the WB.
Here it was also -3 C. Now in the Netherlands a lot of people on the ice, skating for pleasure. Young, old, parents etc. And then of course stalls with ‘koek&zopie’:
1671298939482.jpeg
Bron: Pinterest: Debbie Lindeman.
Regards, Peter

There is always time for veering ......... :)
After the HorsePower (HP) of the muscle cars, the WindPower (WP) of the ships last week, I had some time for MusclePower:
View attachment 346084
Cycled this afternoon with my road bicycle on the Tacx-2 trainer behind my iMac through the Yorkshire Dales.:)
For the cycle-insiders: 35 km, 621 alto-meters, at the end the climb to Fleet Moss with a max of 19,3%, avrg. 1,88 w/kg.
Not bad for a BN-builder aged 65. ;) (As a say this to myselfROTF)
Regards, Peter
Impressive Peter.

Here it was also -3 C. Now in the Netherlands a lot of people on the ice, skating for pleasure. Young, old, parents etc. And then of course stalls with ‘koek&zopie’:
View attachment 346115
Bron: Pinterest: Debbie Lindeman.
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. I just have to say it - today is a cold day in CTN 22• C. Sunny and I’m riding in the mountains this am- no need for a Tracx trainer;).

Amazing work on the BN. To be dissatisfied with the foremast detail (which was so good) and reassemble this is a testament to your modelling standards- respect.

Cheers Grant

Good morning Peter. I just have to say it - today is a cold day in CTN 22• C. Sunny and I’m riding in the mountains this am- no need for a Tracx trainer;).
Ggggrrrrr ….. I will buy a ticket and heading south to join you. Last week also ride my ATB in the forest, wearing some extra layers. Bbbbrrrr …….
Amazing work on the BN. To be dissatisfied with the foremast detail (which was so good) and reassemble this is a testament to your modelling standards- respect.
Thanks for this, Grant
Regards, Peter

Rigging the fore mast becomes a bit of a repetition of the main mast. Apply as much as possible before final installation. Fortunately it's not chess, because then it was a quick draw.;)
Started with the front swifter, as I also showed it at the main mast.
To make it not monotonous I made a further explanation and took a picture while making it.

A swifter consists of 2 ropes fastened together. So with 1 rope on each side as shroud:
905a Swifter.jpg
Not as a line wrapped around the mast with both ends on 1 side.
The used letters:
L=Lang=Dutch for Long
K=Kort=Dutch for Short
The arrow at the hole points to the front:
-1L: the long end of the port shroud where the short end 2K of the starboard shroud is secured. The port shroud runs right in front of the mast.
-2L: the long end of the starboard shroud where the short end 1K of the port shroud is secured. This starboard shroud runs with a loop behind the mast.

Again first determined the length of the ropes that I need to make the swifter and measured over what length I have served them. Then both ropes clamped in the 'bijdehandje' in Dutch: a 'both hand'?:
1028 Swifter.jpg
-cut off the superfluous end to the left of 2K and secure it at the same height as the end of the serving of the port shroud 1L.
-both parts are fixed there with 3 seizings.
-to the right of 1K I leave the superfluous piece of rope, because I still have to mark the serving around the deadeyes on 1L and 2L. Only after that serving I can fit the swifter and finally secure it on the starboard side with 3 seizings.
That is why the swifter still has to come off the mast 1 or 2 times to hang both ends in the serving machine. That's why I show that end as a 'broken line' in the photo.

No metal futtock shrouds on the foremast, so that the bindings are more visible:
1029 Swifter.jpg
The port side with shroud 1L and the attached short end 2K of the starboard shroud.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I have served the swifters and shrouds around the mast, hung it around the mast and secured it with temporary thin strings in the places where I can't tie them permanently yet. With just another photo of the production process instead of the result:
1030 Shrouds.jpg
On the left how I keep all lines tensioned with clothpins.
Right in detail.
Now I can place the mast on the deck and determine the position of the deadeyes and mark the place where I served them. Then remove the mast, remove the swifters and shrouds and actually serve the lines at the deadeyes positions.
And to all of you a Merry Christmas!
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I have served the swifters and shroud around the mast, hung it around the mast and secured it with temporary thin strings in the places where I can't tie them permanently yet. With just another photo of the production process instead of the result:
View attachment 347148
On the left how I keep all lines tensioned with clothpins.
Right in detail.
Now I can place the mast on the deck and determine the position of the deadeyes and mark the place where I served them. Then remove the mast, remove the swifters and shrouds and actually serve the lines at the deadeyes positions.
And to all of you a Merry Christmas!
Regards, Peter
"Production process" is good. Realizing that I hold a very minority point of view in the modeling world, I don't much talk about it but personally, the model_ing_ is infinitely more important than the end result model. Thus I am a process guy. I appreciate how you have prioritized process from the very beginnings of this build log.

"Production process" is good. Realizing that I hold a very minority point of view in the modeling world, I don't much talk about it but personally, the model_ing_ is infinitely more important than the end result model. Thus I am a process guy. I appreciate how you have prioritized process from the very beginnings of this build log.
Thank you very much for this nice words, Alf. It is always nice to inspire others, as others have inspired me. And looking a few steps ahead is also like a process.
Regards, Peter

Back