YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

This is a very convincing furled balloon jib! Your choice of materials and methods does pay dividends.
In all, with all your research, explanations and pictures, there's inspiration to be found for all Bluenose builders and I would say for almost all of us, involved in modeling.

I can't help myself, but I find myself wondering if a single reefed mainsail would present a more "balanced" overall picture of the model...
(Accepting the fact that the visibility of some of the rigging could become somewhat limited.)
Not my decision, just my thoughts.

Last edited:
This is a very convincing furled balloon jib! Your choice of materials and methods does pay dividends.
In all, with all your research, explanations and pictures, there's inspiration to be found for all Bluenose builders and I would say for almost all of us, involved in modeling.

I can't help myself, but I find myself wondering if a single reefed mainsail would present a more "balanced" overall picture of the model...
(Accepting the fact that the visibility of some of the rigging could become somewhat limited.)
Not my decision, just my thoughts.
Thanks, Johan. A good example is always a bonus. It did take the necessary effort, energy and cross-eyed eyes.
And about the main sail: that was made many weeks ago. When I didn't know about my changing plans, as now with the 2 storm sails.;) And I'm not going to untie it.
If I make another BN, it will be a waterline model, under full sail, with a strong breeze and turbulent waves. Leaning over her hips into the water.:)
When the main sail is set, then there is no visual balance with the furled jib en balloon jib. Haha, so I can reason either way.
As we say on the windmill: “North wind is always cold, no matter which direction it comes from”.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
As we say on the windmill: “North wind is always cold, no matter which direction it comes from”.
Regards, Peter
My grandfather had something similar; when one asked where the wind was blowing from, he would say: "south-south apple, straight over grandma's pear tree".
(Btw, he was a ship's carpenter, so probably hit his head a few times too many...)

Peter, I think I need to confess that this build has snuck up on me. I always considered it to be among the best on the forum but your work on the sails and rigging has taken it to another level of excellence. I am simply at a loss for words.
Thanks for your kind words, Paul. The rigging and the sails have also given me new dimensions. A good 40 years ago, the Mirage was fitted with the rigging and sails that corresponded to her time. What also not was provide in the materials of that kit. And I had not foreseen that the choice of this thin paper would give this result. It could also have ripped on all sides. But it does give satisfaction.
Regards, Peter

Hi Peter, hope you start a sail production workshop and we can order from you.
Sailsbypeter.com is still free I think.
Thanks, Maarten, for that suggestion. :) Then I have to change my time-management drastically.
And before someone else comes up with the next option, Peters-Hanks.com is also free.ROTF
But I prefer something else more with ‘Peter’ in it. Just the music and nothing related to ‘arms’. Especially the life performers by E.L.P.:
Regards, Peter

Thanks, Maarten, for that suggestion. :) Then I have to change my time-management drastically.
And before someone else comes up with the next option, Peters-Hanks.com is also free.ROTF
But I prefer something else more with ‘Peter’ in it. Just the music and nothing related to ‘arms’. Especially the life performers by E.L.P.:
Regards, Peter
One of the best ELP hits, ever.

Back