YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

After a week's holiday, building started again.
The next step is to install the jib. I had already placed the MS/Lankford drawing when installing the jumbo jib. With the comment that I had replaced a single sheave block with a double sheave. This choice is also confirmed by L.B. Jenson in the Sage. The 2 drawings next to each other for the jib:
View attachment 362687
The halliard is also double here, due to 2 blocks at the top of the lower mast.
The sheet is double to pull the sail over the stay to starboard or to port. Depending on which side of the wind she sails. Jenson draws it with pieces of chain, I don't agree with that. Here again MS/Lankford, with lines.

But I also have to take the balloon jib into account. Because the two bottom corners meet at the end of the bowsprit. And they are both stowed on the bowsprit:
View attachment 362688
On the left picture the balloon jib is stowed on the starboard side and they are busy with the jib. With the application or removal using the hank's.
Everything is stored in the right picture. But both sails must be secured separately from each other. You can also see the stored jumbo on the right picture.

The Theory:
I've been thinking about this for a while and came up with the following solution:
View attachment 362689
All 5 jib stops on both sides of the bowsprit will be doubled.
As an example, the piece of round wood on the starboard side, with the drawing below left as clarification:
A: the mast.
B: the sail (the piece of spar).
C: the blue line that goes up along the sail from the starboard side.
D: the red line that is drawn from the port side just over the mast to starboard, wrapped around the standing blue starboard line, and then drawn back to port. Then that red port line goes around and over the sail back and forth to starboard. And is then tied together with the blue starboard line. Where the pull is directed downwards to pull the sail against the bowsprit.
For the 2nd sail (a copy of the head of the spar) everything is repeated in mirror image.
Blue arrows: the ascending line.
The red arrows: the line that goes around the blue line and the sail.

The Premise:
The jib set with a number of temporary lines:
View attachment 362690
The jib sail is set to port with 22 hank’s on the stay. The arrow points to the starboard pendant of the sheet running over the stay to starboard. In case the sail needs to be set to the other side.
After applying the outside lines and drawing the stitching seams, the sails have acquired a bulge. That was desired and also came true. Just hard to show in the photo. But that will be fine with the studio photos to be taken later.

The tack of the sail is attached to a hook on the bowsprit:
View attachment 362691
With a 2,5mm/.09" block for the downhaul. I'm still happy with my scratch hank's. On the bowsprit the 2x5 jib stops. And white backrope and guys / bow stays still need to be updated with white and re-tightened. But with the recovery of the jib and balloon jib I will probably get into trouble again. So that's at the end. And of course still dusting.

The halliard:
View attachment 362693
A: the block to the sail.
B: the two blocks on the eye irons at the top of the lower mast.
C: both running parts still have to go through the 2 eyes on the front spreader bar.
All the previously placed blocks are now occupied.

The jib with the starboard pendant of the sheet running over the stay:
View attachment 362694
Temporarily put with a line, but that will be a complete sheet. The bulge is now slightly more visible.

Like the jib is on the port side with the port sheet.
View attachment 362695
Also with a single temporary thread.

And one more picture from behind:
View attachment 362692
With the last view of this jib sail fully set.

Now it's time for the Practice. But that will take some time.
Regards, Peter
The more sail you set, Peter, the more she becomes into her own. Beautiful...

The more sail you set, Peter, the more she becomes into her own. Beautiful...
Thank you, Johan. Your post tickles........
Now that I've been able to look at her myself for a while, I'm starting to have more and more doubts. Leave the front 3 jib's or the jib and the balloon jib stowed on the bowsprit? Both versions have their own charm. I went for the furled/reefed/stowed sails because the sails do not obscure the view of the rigging. However, the jib and the balloon jib do not obscure the view.
But if I leave those 3 jib’s, then that must represent a realistic picture. An experienced sailor on the Dutch forum said that the reefed fore sail plus the jumbo jib is realistic as storm sails. Not a jib or balloon jib. Because that puts too much pressure on the tip of the bowsprit and steering becomes a problem. Then she's too eager to turn away from the wind.
I have this picture from the Bluenose. Source: A Race for Real Sailors, page 167.
IMG_8054.jpg

And this one of the Gertrude L. Thebaud in high seas, during the same race as the picture above from the Bluenose, also in the same book:
200311788.jpg
Both with the jumbo jib and jib, but with the fore and the main sail. The last one for pressure on the aft.
But with a part from the quote by that last picture: "On several occasions, she could not properly answer her helm and became caught in irons, forced to watch her rival soaring ahead." But whether that was due to the amount sails or how they where rigged?
But I will not set the main sail. That sail takes too much view from the rigging.
Choices ....... choices ........ who knows, may say……
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoy those pictures with the reefed fore- and main sails, the jib and the jumbo. No outer jib, no gaff sails. But thrilling pictures, showing both ships in their element; doing what they're designed for.

Beautiful work as always Peter! The choice of how to display the sails is a tough one. But as you say, it should make sense from a sailing stand point, not random. I had thought you were originally going to show them all furled, but displayed open is also nice. But it looks like you will do a combination that is feasible. ;)

I've been thinking about this for a while and came up with the following solution:
1135 Jib.jpg
Good morning Peter.I Love this picture : “Chaos with intent “. I am repeating myself however you are the master of detail. You also pull it off so realistically which is my favourite modelling appearance. (One day I will get there ;) ).Choices…..I would stow the 2 jibs. It would flow through with your furled sails. My 2 cents. Cheers Grant

Beautiful work as always Peter! The choice of how to display the sails is a tough one. But as you say, it should make sense from a sailing stand point, not random. I had thought you were originally going to show them all furled, but displayed open is also nice. But it looks like you will do a combination that is feasible. ;)
Thank you, Dean, for the reply and the understanding. When I started with the first sail, the approach was indeed: furled sails. And the big mainsail confirmed that. That took way too much view of the rigging. Same with both top sails. At the foresail I received input to possibly set a reefed sail. And that was pretty good. The jumbo jib is also set in what I call 'visual balance' in combination with the reefed front sail: a balanced triangle. :)
Then the BN shows now all types of settlement: furled, reefed, set. The jib now makes me doubt.:confused: It is a beautiful sail came shape and setting. Last evening I went for 'let it stand'. This morning I walked past it and with the view diagonally from the front it showed a bit too much. A bit ‘off balance’.
I will now first store the balloon jib on the bowsprit and see how it looks and how compact it is. Then I decide on the jib. I'm leaning towards a furled jib now. Like Grant writes: it would flow through with the (already) furled sails. Again: a balance, the back and the front furled and in the middle the set sails.
Regards, Peter.

Last edited:
Thanks for your post, Jim. Much appreciate.
Are you saying that all rigging lines are functional and in order?
That’s correct. That’s why I first pre-rigged every the sails with all the blocks and ropes. Then set it with all the ropes and then furled, reefed, stowed or set them. If I were to loosen the lines from the belaying pins and eyes, then I could set all sails. Apart from whether the length of the lines would be sufficient. Because now the ends have been cut and they still have to get the bundles of tied lines.
It is amazing how detailed your rigging is. Fantastic!
And thanks for this compliment.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Good morning Peter.I Love this picture : “Chaos with intent “. I am repeating myself however you are the master of detail. You also pull it off so realistically which is my favourite modelling appearance. (One day I will get there ;) ).
Thanks, Grant. Chaos, that was also my thought when I set the 2x5 0,25mm/.009" jib stops. They whent everywhere, won’t hang down, were everywhere between each others when making the example knots with the piece of wood.
Then it was how do I get a picture of what I mean and that this also comes across a bit clear. Because everything is on, in and over each other and also partly under the piece of wood.
It took a while to find the right position of the camera and then try to clarify something with the arrows and the diagram. I hope this worked out a bit. So extra attention has been paid to it.;)
Choices…..I would stow the 2 jibs. It would flow through with your furled sails.
As I also wrote in my response to Dean, since this morning I'm also leaning in that direction. As you say it correct: 'it would flow through with your furled sails'. It would give a view balance :) with the furled/stowed sails on the back and the front and the set sails in the middle.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The balloon jib made. Knotted 22 hank's and the blocks and lines for rigging. Before I furl it on the bowsprit, first set:
1142 BalloonJib.jpg
Of course to take a picture of how she shows with her 3 jib's positioned. Because soon......

I also did this because on all the drawings I have, it is not indicated how the pendant and the tackle of the sheet goes backwards. Is it routed inside or outside the shrouds? Dived into the old photos again:
1143 BalloonJib.jpg
Difficult to see on this format, which has been reduced for the forum, but at the foremast it is clear, it goes outside. It is not clearly visible at the main mast. On both photos an arrow placed where the sheet can just be seen, drawn on the foresail. But I also suspect the outside here, because.......

On my model the port sheet temporarily rigged to it's rigging point:
1144 BalloonJib.jpg
If I then pull the balloon jib slightly outwards, then it is clear to me that the pendant and tackle of the sheet also goes outside by the main mast. Otherwise it would rub against the inside of the shrouds with a firm nod. With the sail is tightened, the sheet on the outside runs flush with the shrouds.
I need to know this to put the pendant and tackle of the sheet in the right position when the sail is furled.

I came across another photo of her at a race. There the shoot runs down much shorter. Via a small link / pendant.
1145 BalloonJib.jpg
I highlighted the line. But I'll ignore that. On the MS/Lankford drawings it is clearly pointed that there is a Racing and a Fishing rigging on special points.

Then I can now be the first to store the balloon jib on the bowsprit.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I also did this because on all the drawings I have, it is not indicated how the pendant and the tackle of the sheet goes backwards. Is it routed inside or outside the shrouds?
Hi Peter. I don't have any real sailing knowledge to draw on, but I wouldn't have thought that any lines go around the outside of the shrouds, getting in the way of anyone running up the ratlines?

Hi Peter. I don't have any real sailing knowledge to draw on, but I wouldn't have thought that any lines go around the outside of the shrouds, getting in the way of anyone running up the ratlines?
Thanks for the reply. Mark. And you are correct. After my post in a Dutch forum, a former professional skipper, also an experienced sailor, asked me about the attachment points of the tackle of the sheet. Given the mounting so far aft, he suspected that the hoist won’t be get much outside and simply runs on the inside of the shrouds of the main boom.
And given the MS/Lankford drawing, that’s right.
C97FE37A-F62F-4BCE-B248-AFBCD396B6D3.jpeg
It’s fitted to a eye on the inside (dotted lines) of the railing (1) and the running part goed through a ‘snatch block’ on the inside of the stanchions (2). That's the beauty of posting your assumptions to the forum. That produces very desirable responses. Like yours now. :)
Regards, Peter

Peter the beautiful thing about your build is the options that you have available - options that are available only because you have done the rigging 100% correct and functional. So, in my opinion, the final choice does not really matter as you can justify historically, whichever option you choose.

Peter the beautiful thing about your build is the options that you have available - options that are available only because you have done the rigging 100% correct and functional. So, in my opinion, the final choice does not really matter as you can justify historically, whichever option you choose.
Thanks, Heinrich. You are correct with the rigging and all the options. I was not yet faced with a fait accompli and can still go in any direction. Even into the right one. ;)
Regards, Peter

The Practice:
Started folding the balloon jib.
Made a template with a piece of round wood in 3 pegs as a replacement for the bowsprit and a brass rod in the angle of the stay:
1147 BalloonJib.jpg
The sail was pushed down hank by hank and a zig-zag /\/\/\ fold was made between every 2 hank's. The folded part of the sail slid between the legs of the pegs. Once fully folded, a few temporary binding threads are tied around the sail.

The sail slid with the 22 hank's over the line of the stay from the brass rod:
1148 BalloonJib.jpg
Then the stay with 3 slings on tension fixed on the end of the bowsprit.

For the furl of the sail I used this photo of the BN-II from the SoS forum member Roger @RogerD. Thanks again Roger, another very useful photo for me:
balloon.jpeg
De balloon jib is set almost in the middle of the bowsprit. The front is sail runs on starboard along the stay of the jib. You can see the downhaul of the balloon jib passing along the sails on the starboard side. The jib is more of less on top of the ballon and partly on the port side.

After a few hours of knotting, this was the result:
1149 BalloonJib.jpg
With the halliard on the top corner of the sail. The downhaul is also secured on that top corner. This runs in front of the sail through a block in the front of the bowsprit, along the sail, through an eye on the front of the railing and is secured to a /belaying pin behind it.

Folding the sail with beautiful pleats and the pleats hanging down slightly due to gravity took some effort:
1150 BalloonJib.jpg
With the downhaul in front of the sail to the block.

Seen from the other side:
1151 BalloonJib.jpg
There is room on the port side for the jib.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back