YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

I like the smaller - better, and they are not flat. ;)
Thanks, Jim. Much appreciated!
I agree the smallest ones will look best. Great job! As I mentioned before, if you have a vice, you can flatten them a little. ;)
You also thanks, Dean.
They are now so small, they are hardly to handle. After bending I flattened them between a needle nose pliers to get the wobble out. But to get them there .........
Regards, Peter

Thanks, Jim. Much appreciated!

You also thanks, Dean.
They are now so small, they are hardly to handle. After bending I flattened them between a needle nose pliers to get the wobble out. But to get them there .........
Regards, Peter
We have to be creative in our solutions. ;)
Tape them to masking tape or painters tape in a row and put a piece on top to sandwich them in the tape. Put tape in vice and clamp! ;)
You may only be able to flatten a few at a time, maybe four to start. But you can experiment with that. Just cut the tape between them at every four or more and put that piece in the vice. That way you can handle them. Hope that works for you.

Last edited:
A fascinating little detail about the Hanks. Just curious, were the Hanks in the original BN 'flat'? I know the photo etched ones you bought were but that's the nature of all photo etched parts.
That’s a good question Daniel, they were forged and may have have been slightly flat on the ends.
A064B25B-6B1C-45F5-B638-76CED9974890.jpeg
As shown above, they were mostly round with tapered ends that were closed. A detail that may be very difficult at scale. As that would require tapering the end of a piece so small it’s hard to hold! ;)
But putting them in the vice would be more for ensuring they are flat, not so much to create a flat surface on the diameter. Hope that makes sense. In fact, if they are relatively flat after making them, it may not even be necessary to put them in a vice.

That’s a good question Daniel, they were forged and may have have been slightly flat on the ends.
View attachment 359620
As shown above, they were mostly round with tapered ends that were closed. A detail that may be very difficult at scale. As that would require tapering the end of a piece so small it’s hard to hold! ;)
But putting them in the vice would be more for ensuring they are flat, not so much to create a flat surface on the diameter. Hope that makes sense. In fact, if they are relatively flat after making them, it may not even be necessary to put them in a vice.
Makes sense, you would want the hank longitudinal cross section to be in the same plane.

Impressive to make these details. I searched for these classic jib hanks, not much info about them. But I see that the both eyes are close to hold the rope in between.
1965040C.jpg
Maybe this is usefull for you.

Another way to try is just make the U form and then after flatten drill the holes. In that case you could make them even smaller. Just thinking of me.

And finally, you could use a small diameter rope wrapped around the jig to predetermine the length of wired needed. Then cut the wire to length and taper both ends. Then wrap it around the jig pins.

A fascinating little detail about the Hanks. Just curious, were the Hanks in the original BN 'flat'? I know the photo etched ones you bought were but that's the nature of all photo etched parts.
Thanks Daniel. And about if they are flat or round ………. For myself I think they are round, but showing first the flat photo etched …….
View attachment 359620
Impressive to make these details. I searched for these classic jib hanks, not much info about them. But I see that the both eyes are close to hold the rope in between.
View attachment 359621
Maybe this is usefull for you.

Another way to try is just make the U form and then after flatten drill the holes. In that case you could make them even smaller. Just thinking of me.
And finally, you could use a small diameter rope wrapped around the jig to predetermine the length of wired needed. Then cut the wire to length and taper both ends. Then wrap it around the jig pins.
And thanks for thinking with me for making the perfectly perfect hank’s. But please consider: this is scale 1:72!
But on this scale and now +/- 2mm in outside diameter, I doubted if anyone would see that they are more of less flat of round.
About holes at the ends: the tension of the installing rope is pulling between both ends. Just a bend for not falling of the iron: Hanks 2.0
And about flattening the end and then drill both holes …….. in scale 1:72. Yes I have drills of 0.3mm, but ……..
For now I am already happy that I made them so tiny. I will sleep for all this 1 night and will see ……
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Thanks Daniel. And about if they are flat or round ………. For myself I think they are round, but showing first the flat photo etched …….

And thanks for thinking with me for making the perfectly perfect hanks. But please consider: this is scale 1:72!
But on this scale and now +/- 2mm in outside diameter, I doubted if anyone would see that they are more of less flat of round.
About holes at the ends: the tension of the installing rope is pulling between both ends. Just a bend for not falling of the iron.
And about flattening the end and then drill both holes …….. in scale 1:72. Yes I have drills of 0.3mm, but ……..
For now I am already happy that I made them so tiny. I will sleep for all this 1 night and will see ……
Regards, Peter
I agree what you have created at scale already is a worthy part. I guess we are all thinking about if you wanted to make it exactly like the real thing. But that’s like a lot of rigging knots, etc., and sometimes scale limits us. So using what you have made is fine in my opinion. It’s all a matter of what you envision going on the ship, and what’s possible. ;)

I agree what you have created at scale already is a worthy part. I guess we are all thinking about if you wanted to make it exactly like the real thing. But that’s like a lot of rigging knots, etc., and sometimes scale limits us. So using what you have made is fine in my opinion. It’s all a matter of what you envision going on the ship, and what’s possible. ;)
A year into this POF-build in 1:72 scale I have to conclude that it's nigh impossible to get everything scaled down accurately. At a certain point it becomes increasingly difficult, moving to impossible, to manufacture, handle and assemble parts.
What's shown in this build log is probably as close as you can get without going full watch maker.

Back