YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Rivets: There are folks who make and sell rivets on decal film for the armor/military, railroad, and aeronautical modeling hobbies. The products essentially are 3D-printed pips on clear decal film and they come in a myriad of rivet patterns appropriate to the intended prototype and scale. Hundreds of rivet patterns to choose from. There are companies that do this in Europe as well as the US altho the most prolific of the US companies, Archer, just closed down his business and retired about six months ago. If this kind of product might be foreign to you, here is an instruction booklet from Archer that explains it. <<http://archertransfers.com/ASSETS/ArcherRivetManual.pdf>>

Meanwhile, you may already have decided how you'll rivet up a hull. Based on your finished BN, we know you'll make it right.
Thanks for the reply and the link, Alf. I was already studying the different ways of applying rivets. When it’s time I will start practicing. It‘s for me in the same order as making the railing and ornaments fore The Lee and treenailing in the right scale on my BN.
Regard, Peter

Last edited:
Congratulations on completing your model
Beautifully turned out Peter, you can be very proud of what you have made with this model
Also beautiful photos
I will contact you during the week
Regards

Henk

The 2 last hanks applied. Those are the 2 separate lines for when the Fishermans Staysail is hoisted. These are attached to the two bottom corners of that sail:
View attachment 367792
These lines have longer loops, folded in the middle and then hung on the belaying pins with a pull-through loop.
At the mast foot also 1 of the 2 water pumps (re)placed on deck again.

And then my Bluenose was ready. Time to merge both parts into a so-called PULL-APART model. You named it just on time, Uwe @Uwek !
Just took some photos. It's a gloomy day here, so the parts that are in the shadows don't show up very well. Everything can be well lit in the studio conditions.

First the closed painted side from the front and back:
View attachment 367793
View attachment 367796

The open side as it will soon appear in the display case:
View attachment 367795
View attachment 367794

This is how you can see the construction on the inside:
View attachment 367797
The plan is that she will stand on a mirror in the display case. To look better inside. I'll have to see how that stands.

Like a waterline model:
View attachment 367798

The advantage of a gloomy day, no harsh light. So I took 2 more pictures outside:
View attachment 367799
View attachment 367800

After 28 months of construction, filling 161 pages in this build-log, containing about 1180 photos, this construction has come to an end.:)
I was able to enjoy myself with this kit from YuanQing @yqmodel
I want to thank everyone for watching, the input, the likes, the comments etc etc.
Mission accomplished.

I will go even further in this build-log with the studio photos and I will show the construction of the showcase in steps.
So Stay Tuned..........
Regards, Peter
A build second to none and to infinity and beyond Peter! Thanks for the incredible journey and for giving us novices something to shoot for!

The 2 last hanks applied. Those are the 2 separate lines for when the Fishermans Staysail is hoisted. These are attached to the two bottom corners of that sail:
View attachment 367792
These lines have longer loops, folded in the middle and then hung on the belaying pins with a pull-through loop.
At the mast foot also 1 of the 2 water pumps (re)placed on deck again.

And then my Bluenose was ready. Time to merge both parts into a so-called PULL-APART model. You named it just on time, Uwe @Uwek !
Just took some photos. It's a gloomy day here, so the parts that are in the shadows don't show up very well. Everything can be well lit in the studio conditions.

First the closed painted side from the front and back:
View attachment 367793
View attachment 367796

The open side as it will soon appear in the display case:
View attachment 367795
View attachment 367794

This is how you can see the construction on the inside:
View attachment 367797
The plan is that she will stand on a mirror in the display case. To look better inside. I'll have to see how that stands.

Like a waterline model:
View attachment 367798

The advantage of a gloomy day, no harsh light. So I took 2 more pictures outside:
View attachment 367799
View attachment 367800

After 28 months of construction, filling 161 pages in this build-log, containing about 1180 photos, this construction has come to an end.:)
I was able to enjoy myself with this kit from YuanQing @yqmodel
I want to thank everyone for watching, the input, the likes, the comments etc etc.
Mission accomplished.

I will go even further in this build-log with the studio photos and I will show the construction of the showcase in steps.
So Stay Tuned..........
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. A truly extraordinary BN. Thanks for sharing your journey with us, it has been a joy to follow and learn so much from your craft. Cheers Grant

A build second to none and to infinity and beyond Peter! Thanks for the incredible journey and for giving us novices something to shoot for!
Good morning Peter. A truly extraordinary BN. Thanks for sharing your journey with us, it has been a joy to follow and learn so much from your craft. Cheers Grant
Joe and Grant, you also thanks for this nice words and compliments. For sure it was a journey!
Regards, Peter

My Congratulations for finishing this amazing model - BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO and a big Applause

I hope to see this model once (or twice) in real

My Congratulations for finishing this amazing model - BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO and a big Applause

I hope to see this model once (or twice) in real
Thanks, Uwe. I am sure we will meet each other with our models. And thanks to the moderators to ad [COMPLETED MODEL] to the thread name. The completed BN fleet is growing!
Gr. Peter

Joe and Grant, you also thanks for this nice words and compliments. For sure it was a journey!
Regards, Peter
Peter, I will very much miss the next Bluenose page to see what extraordinary detail you have recorded! I will certainly emulate your example and what my skill level will allow! And it's so very nice to have an expert guide via the documentation you've provided! Thanks ever so much! V/r, Joe

Peter, I will very much miss the next Bluenose page to see what extraordinary detail you have recorded! I will certainly emulate your example and what my skill level will allow! And it's so very nice to have an expert guide via the documentation you've provided! Thanks ever so much! V/r, Joe
Hi Joe. I am glad that I could please you with my contributions. And that it motivates you. As with the other builders, I look forward to the progress of your build.
Regards, Peter

Dear Peter. This completed model presents a serious problem - because what does one say at the end of such a build? Yes, obviously the customary congratulations and oooh's and aah's are in order, but that does not cut it in this instance. To place this model on your mantle rack is somehow not doing it justice. This model should be seen by the thousands of people who revere Bluenose (I or II doesn't matter). This is a continuation of a legacy, a legacy which has endured for a century and will continue for another hundred years with input from people like you. In my opinion this model is more significant than even the full-sized Bluenose II replica build - that is how important i think this build is. The challenge now is to consider the future of this model so that its theoretical impact can be made a reality.

Dear Peter. This completed model presents a serious problem - because what does one say at the end of such a build? Yes, obviously the customary congratulations and oooh's and aah's are in order, but that does not cut it in this instance. To place this model on your mantle rack is somehow not doing it justice. This model should be seen by the thousands of people who revere Bluenose (I or II doesn't matter). This is a continuation of a legacy, a legacy which has endured for a century and will continue for another hundred years with input from people like you. In my opinion this model is more significant than even the full-sized Bluenose II replica build - that is how important i think this build is. The challenge now is to consider the future of this model so that its theoretical impact can be made a reality.
Hello Heinrich. Thank you very very much for this nice words and compliments. The next step is to make the vitrine with the lightning and the possibility to properly secure her in it for transport. With the 4 brass uprights it is quite sturdy, but the movements in a car will not do any good. And to keep converting them from 'Pull-Apart' to 'Push-Together' and v.v. is going a bit too far: rudder off, fragile walls of below deck passing each other etc etc. But I already have an idea for that.
Then I will try to show her to others because in real life it looks better than from the photos.
Too bad I can't make it on the 13th of May in Frankfurt. But certainly the 30th of September in Amsterdam. And who knows, maybe there will be a meeting somewhere in between. And you can always drop by in beautiful Wourkum (Woudrichem). But that's easy to say in an international forum.;)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

I go away for a few days holiday and you finish a model :).

She really looks great especially keeping in mind the small scale.
The galley interior with pots and tin cans is a great feature. Most probably if your camera could zoom in more we can see some minute small scale cockroaches on the back of the sink.

A deep bow for this piece of art.
Hope we can see her in Amsterdam in September.

Hi Peter,

I go away for a few days holiday and you finish a model :).

She really looks great especially keeping in mind the small scale.
The galley interior with pots and tin cans is a great feature. Most probably if your camera could zoom in more we can see some minute small scale cockroaches on the back of the sink.

A deep bow for this piece of art.
Hope we can see her in Amsterdam in September.
Thanks for the compliments, Maarten. One thing for sure, the cockroaches will be removed before the A’dam meeting. Bringing them into the museum …………. I don't want that on his conscience.:rolleyes:;)
Regards, Peter

Heinrich - was hoping to hear something back from you regarding my post?1

Some extra attention for the sails and rigging:
1210 Sails2.jpg
1211 Sails1.jpg

Both top sails:
1212 Sails4.jpg

She is catching up some wind from port:
1213 Sailing.jpg

And sails away with wind from starboard to her first life audition next Friday, for a selected group:
1214 Sailing1.jpg

@Donnie : Can you picking up the pictures for the Gallery from here or do I have to make a thread in the 'Completed Aria'?

I hope you all like the pictures? For me this part was also a lot of fun!
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back